Single core, dual core, triple core etc

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 1:04 PM

Bootjack:
Ryzen 7 5800 chip

It has great single core performance but is not a single core chip. Logos will make use of the other cores. That is probably more powerful than you need for Logos.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 633
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 2:26 PM

Thank you John for that bit of info. If you were buying new, would you go with the Ryzen chip or an Intel? 

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR  I7-12700H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB SSD Windows 11 Home, G733ZM-DS71 Logos 9.2 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 5:47 PM

Bootjack:
does Logos use single core or dual core or anything above that. 

My laptop is a 3yo MSI GF63 8RD with I-7 8850H (6-core), 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, & NVIDIA GTX 1050Max. Although at 2.2GHz clock speed my user experience doesn't feel incredibly zippy it's always responsive (except when waiting on the web). I've found that having 6 cores means I just can't slow the laptop down. I can keep working while indexing the entire library (8,000+), which I timed at just over an hour (61 minutes & 12 seconds). I never notice while it's working away in the background. 

Blessings! IMO, any good (not even great) multi-core, 500GB or larger SSD, 16GB or larger RAM, & a video card with 2GB or greater will give you great performance in Logos (& almost anything else).

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 633
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 5:55 PM

Bill, it appears you've got a heavy hitter machine on your desk. I would suspect that is Windows 11 upgradeable, correct? Anyway, I'm going to get a nice damp cloth and wipe the green off my face!  :-) 

ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR  I7-12700H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB SSD Windows 11 Home, G733ZM-DS71 Logos 9.2 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 3760
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2021 1:49 PM

Bootjack:
Bill, it appears you've got a heavy hitter machine on your desk. I would suspect that is Windows 11 upgradeable, correct? A

Hi Bootjack,

I buy at the knee of the price-performance curve (where the next bump up in how powerful the PC is costs a LOT more than the last bump). Each time I've done that, the pc or laptop has lasted a good 5+yr... It was a heavy hitter 3 yr ago (this month), but I don't think it'd be terribly expensive to buy a more powerful machine, today. :)

I don't think performance is REALLY zippy, but it doesn't bug me with slow performance. More than that I don't ask... :)

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 633
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2021 3:48 PM

An interesting reply. Very good sir! 

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2021 9:24 PM

I am losing my eyesight. A few years back, before I started college, an agency bought me a laptop for school. I needed a big screen and I needed power to run the software that I was supposed to learn to use. A gaming laptop was purchased for me, without any input from me.

A gaming laptop was a HUGE mistake!!!

Hundreds of dollars was wasted on a graphics card that overheated and slowed the machine down and drained the battery.

The machine roasted itself while idling, and could not run any of the software that I was supposed to learn to use. More happened that I won't bother to discuss. The machine is long gone, but it taught me that I can never just assume that a gaming laptop will be able to run the most basic productivity software. I know, now, to do a lot of research in graphics cards if I am going to buy a gaming laptop.

The toy that I am using right now runs Logos so much better than "The Beast" could even idle.

Posts 35553
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 2 2021 9:52 PM

Kathleen Marie:
A gaming laptop was a HUGE mistake!!!

Interesting. I've been quite satisfied with my gaming laptops and had no trouble with overheating.  I suspect that a graphics card was put into a machine not designed to support it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 633
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2021 12:52 AM

Apparently the laptop you got Kathleen was a dud, which could happen to any laptop or desktop. 

I've been using the asus rog 8 years straight, very seldom is it shut down and I've yet to experience heating problems or any problems whatsoever. If this machine were to fail today, it doesn't owe me anything plus I would go back to the same type of unit when buying new. 

It's too bad you had that unhappy experience. 

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS