Email - Order Update - Pre-Order Titles Cancelled

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 158
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2021 1:45 AM

I received an email yesterday from Logos cancelling just over 40 "pre-order" titles.  Doing a quick scan, a number of these seem do be titles that were available in Wordsearch. (I only checked about 15 titles, so they may all have been from the Wordsearch catalouge.)  Most of the titles are related to home-church, cell groups, discipleship, or leadership.

Of the ones I checked, each appeared to already be available as a Ebook or Logos Reader (to previous Wordsearch owners) in the FLEB/Logos library, according to https://www.logos.com/wordsearch/catalog.  And of the ones I checked, each shows a limited preview in Logos and the associated Resource ID.

A couple on the list I had previously pre-ordered.  Others I have had my eye on.  I know in the past we have sometimes received advanced notice of pending Pre-Pub cancellations, giving us an option to jump-on-board (and convince others) prior to their cancellation.  If this was done this time for these titles, I missed the email warning.

I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason behind the cancellation.

Posts 5573
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 1:56 PM

Wayne Clarke:
I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason behind the cancellation.

Not I. Very strange.

Posts 1951
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 22 2021 6:43 PM

At least there was an email. My pre order for Phillips NT just poofed away a few months ago without an email, 'sorry', 'tough toenails', nothing.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Posts 158
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 6:06 AM

Thank you both for your responses.  Appreciated.

I'm wondering if it has to do something with the publishers.

And Robert, I believe J.B. Phillips' 'The New Testament in Modern English' that looked like it was going to be made available in Logos was coming from the Wordsearch catalogue acquired in the acquisition.  It was the older version/translation.  Not the substantially updated 1972 revision of his work.  At least that is my understanding.  (And that older version is available to WS customers in their Logos libraries, who purchased it when it was previously available at WS.)

Posts 8394
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 6:46 AM

I had the JB Phillips NT in WORDsearch and now in Logos. So maybe, if you didn’t have it in WORDsearch, the publisher will not allow selling licenses as prepub. Maybe only those who had it in Wordsearch will be allowed to have a copy.  FL would have to comment on that.

DAL

Posts 1263
David Wanat | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 11:43 AM

I had noticed that at least one WS title (the original NAB Bible) was one where the rightsholder had withdrawn all rights because the NABRE had replaced it. FL pulled it from their upcoming prepubs. I wonder if perhaps these all involve WS books that FL was going to release in general.

Or maybe not.

WIN 10 i7 9750H, RTX 2060, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD | iPad Air 3
Verbum 9 Ultimate

Posts 1951
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 4:12 PM

I had never purchased from Wordseach, so none of that's an issue. There are, however, two issues:

Faithlife's ham-handed method of quietly jettisoning the Phillips pre-pub into the Oort Cloud. Bless their hearts, sometimes they just can't help it.

I'm old bean-counter and apparently publishers who prevent their products on other platforms fired all of their cost accountants, because it seems like there's nobody there to say: "Hey Mac, incremental sales of digital products have really high margins." I wonder if their shareholders know this is going on."

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS