Postmillennial commentary sets? Prefer free online

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 246
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 22 2021 8:14 PM

I'm looking for a commentary set that I can reference about 30+ passages to see what a postmillenial interpretation would be. But I'm having a terrible time finding a set of the whole Bible that is consistently postmillenial. I thought maybe Calvin, but I read he was all over the map when it comes to eschatology.  

This is not something I necessarily want to purchase since I will only presumably use it for this one project and then never again. The closest thing I've come to is Hodges Systematic Theology Vol 3 that covers Eschatology. But it does not reference all the particular verses/passages I'm dealing with.  

Any ideas on freely available Postmill commentary sets (or even ones that are less than <$50)? Please no print only versions, I can't read actual books anymore. Digital format only. Big Smile

Posts 2437
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 4:33 AM

It's not a commentary set, but it should have much of the evidence for that position in an even smaller area:

Three Views on the Millennium and Beyond

It also has the arguments against, which would be helpful to flesh out the entire argument.

There is also this course, but I understand that it is over what you want to spend.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 5189
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 6:54 AM

Here is another good one:

https://www.logos.com/product/2271/revelation-four-views 

Posts 246
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 8:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. It appears, at least from a practical standpoint that there are no commentary sets that are consistently postmillennial. There are one or two individual books (i.e. Revelation) in commentary sets that are of this particular eschatological view, but then Best Bible Commentaries' list goes directly into topical books. Apparently, this is the route most modern postmills have taken. 

I already have Revelation Four Views and Three Views on the Millennium. I've added to these: God's Plan for Victory, He Shall Have Dominion, Postmillennialism Made Easy, and Thine is the Kingdom. 

I was hoping to avoid manually data mining for this project but it looks like I will need to. Maybe the'll have reference indexes (finger's crossed). I could possibly fire up the old laptop and use LOGOS desktop to import the ebooks, then run the concordance or index and also run searches on all the text. But I wonder if it would take more time in prep work than it would in just running individual searches on my phone of each book for the references in question. 

Posts 2644
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 7:58 PM

Hi Steven,

In your desktop app if you create a collection, then open the Cited By tool and link it to your Bible you Logos will match all references to whatever verse you are in the Bible with the collection.

Just a suggestion.

Posts 246
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 8:07 PM

I ended up turning on my laptop and importing the 10+ titles as personal books so I could then search them all at once for each passage reference. The few hours it took to convert, import, and index was well worth it. Logos' ability to search through all the ebooks for the reference (no matter what format it is found it) is a life saver. It's too bad this feature is not available on the web app or mobile app.  

I would say about 90% of the references I had to go through were listed in one or more of the texts I searched. Not always providing a postmill interpretation and sometimes within the context of a counter to postmill theology (which was not really helpful).  

I'm really surprised there is not at least one postmill commentary set available. Regardless, the PB + search feature worked in the end.  

Posts 246
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 23 2021 8:33 PM

That's pretty slick, John. ;-) 

It makes me almost want to start looking for a laptop. Too bad the only thing that works for my needs is an android phone at this point. The only laptop I'm interested in at the moment Logos won't run on.  

The Cited by tool seems to run a little quicker than the search. I don't have to set up collections. I can organize it by my tags and then just type in the reference at the top. Works great. 

Pretty much the unbeatable element is the recognition of the reference no matter the format (Matt 3:1; Matthew 3:1; Ma 3:1, etc). TW5 cannot do this with their search feature. You can search content in multiple modules at once but each module has a different format for references and the search will only pick up the exact format you enter. One of the reasons I moved to Logos.  

Hopefully the Cite tool (and other features) will make it over to the mobile and web app before too long. 

Posts 2644
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 5:30 AM

Steven,

Glad that helped you on the desktop app. You can also create section in a passage guide that includes these resources by tag or collection by customizing it. It will function the same as the Cited By tool for the most part.

I am not sure if these carry over to the mobile app as I don't use it that much.

Posts 246
Steven Veach | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:44 AM

Unfortunately, tags are not supported in the mobile app (at least for Android) in the passage guide. In fact, there appears to be no customization options at all.  

I thought I could use collections in the search window. It lists them when selecting resources. So I created collections that mirrored my tags, but they do not work in search on mobile. When I choose a collection "philosophy" which has only one book included, it still searches all resources. I guess the feature is built in but not yet plugged in and running. ;-) 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS