speed up indexing

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 24 2021 10:07 AM

It is crazy how long it takes to prepare Logos. If I already downloaded my 3K books it is on my PC indexing should not take hours. Sometimes I reopen and it starts again at 0%. My PC was at 15% now it went back to 0%.

This is really the only issue I have with the software. It rather index and slow down everything than let me read my bible.

Posts 3166
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 10:17 AM

Randall Lind:

It is crazy how long it takes to prepare Logos. If I already downloaded my 3K books it is on my PC indexing should not take hours. Sometimes I reopen and it starts again at 0%. My PC was at 15% now it went back to 0%.

This is really the only issue I have with the software. It rather index and slow down everything than let me read my bible.

Hey, Randall

This is probably not what you want to hear, but indexing has sped up considerably since the release of L9. Perhaps, yours is a hardware issue. My signature line has specs on what I'm using, though it's not exactly up to date it's in the general vicinity.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 1160
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 10:25 AM

My medium range HP is about 6 years old. I replaced the hard drive with a 1T SSD about a year ago. I have an extremely huge Logos library that will index in 5 to 10 minutes.

Posts 2864
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 11:16 AM

Sadly the one thing Logos needs is a fast storage drive. SSD or NVME is a must if you want it to perform well on indexing. They've improved it as other responders said, but it is still not where we all including I'm sure Faithlife developers, wish it was.

I too have a fast machine and it takes much longer than 5-10 minutes but not the hours it used to take. My suggestion is when it starts indexing, go get a coffee or take a walk.

I'm sure none of this makes you feel any better.

Posts 55
Bmickey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 11:19 AM

It should not have to index each time you start the software if that is what is occurring. Once your library is downloaded the first time, let it index completely. I left mine overnight as it took hours.  It will not have to index  again unless you download new books, and even then, it doesn't take as long as the initial indexing.

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 12:08 PM

My next move is to put a 1TB SSD in this dell Optiplex. Sorry I was ranting I want to take notes etc and Logos was being a pain. I still love it. I can't mark up my bible do to my cerebral palsy. So this is the main reason I use the software. I sold my TV in the bedroom never watched much. I took the SSD from my 2nd Nvidia shield 500GB and now putting it in my Optiplex. I still plan to get a bigger SSD.

Posts 4750
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 2:07 PM

Randall Lind:

Maybe your computer fell asleep, hence the start at 0 again? You seem computer savvy but just in case I would recommend you set your computer to not sleep or turn off the HDD and just let it run until completion. Once it is done indexing, you won't have to do it again until a new or updated book arrives. It should go much quicker since it only has to index a few then.

Posts 27049
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 24 2021 6:31 PM

Randall Lind:
Sometimes I reopen and it starts again at 0%. My PC was at 15% now it went back to 0%.

That could mean there is a problem as Logos will automatically reindex to fix it. Unfortunately, it isn't smart enough to fix a corrupt file. You could delete the LibraryIndex folder (in \Logos\Data\.....) and Logos will reindex when it is restarted or you could provide logs to diagnose it.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 260
Randall Lind | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 25 2021 5:34 AM

I have a WD 500GB SSD I was using in the bedroom for my Nvidia Shield streaming box. I however sold my bedroom 32' TV set. I rather watch my 60" TV in the livingroom so I never used it. I took that and put it in my Dell Optiplex and put Linux on and set up my Windows 10  VM (Virtual Machine) Logos is fast. The whole machine is fast. I may get a bigger drive but. most stuff I do is online so maybe not.

Posts 2755
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2021 8:18 PM

Indexing is no longer an issue for me because my Dell gobbles through the task. One thing you can do is once it starts indexing is to turn off Logos and let just the indexer finish doing the work. This is better for older machines. 

You might consider letting the machine do all the maintenance overnight. You can turn off automatic updates so you don't get clobbered with it every time you open Logos. I open my screen to a blank layout. It's a choice for me to start any updates. I did this long before I got the Dell but it's still faster for me to get Logos up and running even now. 

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS