Search Query for One Volume Commentaries

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 926
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 28 2021 9:14 AM

I want to search my library to find all of the one volume commentaries in my library such as the BKC. What should my search query be?   Thanks!

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2021 10:27 AM

Absent those smarter than I, in my library, I narrow mine down by Type:Commantary (or Bible Commentary) and Subject:Bible.

This rejects anything assigned Bible-OT or NT (most). But the old WBC and Hermeneia demand a '-' (not) since they still aren't broken out. This leaves  a few error-codings which I just ignore.

Posts 3299
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2021 10:48 AM

Michael Kinch:

I want to search my library to find all of the one volume commentaries in my library such as the BKC. What should my search query be?   Thanks!

Unfortunately, Michael I don't think this is possible unless you tagged these resources before hand and could then organize them into a collection. Luckily, there is a cumbersome, but necessary work around. 

Go to the Logos resource page and tick off All for Ownership Status, All or as applies for Geographic Availability, now these are key: tick off commentaries for Resource type, one volume for Commentaries and finally choose your language preference.

Now all that remains is to identify all your single volume commentaries and tag them with a unique tag so that you can identify them quickly in the future and tag any resource that belongs in this class in the future (an aside, there will be some false positive results; skip over these). Once done you can call up these resources by entering mytag:what you have designated, entering this information in your library, or your search these resources, or most importantly, a collection rule.

Someone may come up with a better way, but this is the only way I can think to get to your end point.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 8929
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 28 2021 6:46 PM

I asked virtually the same question and Mark Barnes and other provided an answer here: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/85784.aspx 

DAL

Posts 27854
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2021 5:56 PM

Michael Kinch:

A good start is  type:commentary subj:bible-commentaries -subj:bible-commentaries-collected

(excluding bible-commentaries-collected)

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 9552
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2021 8:27 PM

Here is a collection rule courtesy of Mark Barnes:

type:bible-commentary AND ({Series None} AND ((subject:"Bible—Commentaries" ANDNOT subject:"Bible—Commentaries—Collected works") OR (subject:”Bible. O.T.--Commentaries” AND subject:”Bible. .N.T.--Commentaries”) OR subject:"bible handbooks" OR subject:"bible introductions") ANDNOT title:volumes) OR {MyTag "commentary-one-volume"}

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS