The ULTIMATE Logos X

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 35555
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 29 2021 3:52 PM

What should Logos X be? A celebration of the 10th anniversary of Logos featuring the polishing and completion of the nine preceding versions i.e.

• The return of the cookbook element in the Search - in addition to not in place of the templates
  • The return of the liturgical ribbon tool section including the actual calendar of saints for multiple denominations and full support for multiple lectionaries/ritual books as used by some denomination (e.g. The Season of Creation)
  • The return of the grammatical and semantic roles to the context menu and the Factbook.
  • The return of a report error function to Factbook
  • Parity of Verbum with respect to help links and error reporting links
  • Updating all inconsistent, incomplete, and erroneous documentation
  • Completion of documentation for the few remaining pieces
  • Completing data (or major progress in) for labels esp. sermons, personal letters, outlines
  • Addressing inconsistency in the User Interface (there is a forum thread on this)
  • Addressing the bugs in the Guides, Workflows, Factbook, tools, and interactives
  • Additional work on making Migne available
  • Additional work on the milestones for all Church Fathers literature
  • Support for n-grams in the Concordance
  • Add additional relationships to Bible Sense Lexicon (as in Word Net)
  • Provide easy access to all Bible versions from the reference popup - focusing on ease of viewing the translation the text specifies
  • A final push for the correct/more granular resource types for library resources
  • A standard bracket driven interface that automatically draws sentence diagram in multiple styles (Kellogg-Reed, tree, arc (dependency)
  • Allow multiple scripture passages in Workflows
  • Expose resource attributes so we can determine what resources are not included in the Guide/Factbook results
  • Allow one to erase wearmarks on the scroll bar at the resource level
  • Modify prioritization so that priority can be stated by datatype; prioritization may be done by collection; and that the priorities by datatype may be listed
  • Make the Prayer List usable by not assuming a prayer is completed (and deleted) when an answer is entered
  • Allow a customization of the Sermon Builder/Manager that is oriented towards lessons/Bible study
  • Modify the Search to allow the scope of a search (clause, verse, chapter, article) to be specified by user
  • Modify the Search to allow clause search elements and Bible search elements to be combined
  • Allow user customization of popup element sizes where appropriate e.g. note size
  • Restoration of more granular and correct information to the Orthodox/Oriental Orthodox section of the canon comparison
  • Major revision of the Lexham Survey of Theology to provide accurate information (see SUGGESTION: An improvement to the Lexham Survey of Theology - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)
  • Make good on the long promised hymn feature in Logos by creating a label that users can add (as they can for sermons) to treat hymns and theological and liturgical text not performance art.
  • Allow personal letter labels to function like sermon labels and add a resource to the Guide/Factbook section.
  • Support better visibility of notes applied to lemmas
  • Verify that all citation styles correspond to the most recent style guides
  • Add templates to Canvas to support argument mapping, arcing, ...
  • Allow images to be imported into Canvas
  • Simplify the process for adding metadata/deleting images for images imported via Amber
  • Update Information panel for more granularity and for completeness of the data
  • Expand the lookup function in the Context Menu to link to the label documentation (ignoring the detailed attributes) - this gets one to the correct document at the very least.

That is my "off the top of my head" list ... I know that users of dark mode, sermons manager/builder, PBB's, Bible Explorer ... will have additional items.  Because of the length of the list, I truly believe that a reliable and polished Logos X is the best gift you could give your users. Your only problem is convincing marketing ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2071
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 4:24 PM

Dynamic / automatic selection of Read Aloud / text-to-speech voice based on the language of the resource and installed voices. (No visits to the OS and no restarts!)

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 29 2021 4:58 PM

MJ. Smith:
What should Logos X be?

If they call it Logos X, it might get confused for Logos Series X. I know you weren't proposing they call it that; just thought I'd bring up that bit of ancient Logos history for all the newbies that might not have been aware of that past. Smile

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 30 2021 11:39 AM

MJ. Smith:
A celebration of the 10th anniversary [?] of Logos featuring the polishing and completion of the nine preceding versions

Works for me.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 2122
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2021 8:59 PM

Rosie Perera:

MJ. Smith:
What should Logos X be?

If they call it Logos X, it might get confused for Logos Series X. I know you weren't proposing they call it that; just thought I'd bring up that bit of ancient Logos history for all the newbies that might not have been aware of that past. Smile

It'd even be worse if they called the new version Logos X (Series)

Nathan Parker

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 1 2021 11:17 PM

Is it the 10th anniversary? Logos 2.x became Libronix 3.x as they had plans to reach beyond just bible resources to have a platform for textbooks in a variety of field. The company the dropped those plans and the Libronix name and went back to the Vanilla Logos name with Logos 4.x and initially major releases were 3 year cycles. During this period from Logos 4 to 9 they went back on their word to customers major releases would be every three years and changed it to two years. During this time they put their foot back in the water of trying to reach markets beyond bible books and honed in on classics education and homeschooling with the release of Noet branded application, but shelved that to the confines of Logos history and have instead more recently tried to become the all things to all churches with their branching out into FL sites and church management software etc. And of course there is the web app, mobile apps and who can forget when they thought about managing our personal lives by floating a dating app. Interesting how that was meant to resonate with their customer base given a large part of their target audience are pastors and priests and for some denominations they don’t marry. And I haven’t mentioned the WS acquisition either.

The short of this action packed period of time review it is I think it has been more than 10 years even if we just counted from Logos 4 but asking the question if my thinking is correct on that or not. 

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2021 5:31 PM

MJ. Smith:
the 10th anniversary of Logos

DIsciple II:
Is it the 10th anniversary?

No, they've actually been around since 1992. Coming up on their 30th anniversary. The history of releases is included here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_Bible_Software

Logos 4 was released in 2009.

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 2 2021 5:53 PM

We have had Logos bronze, silver, gold, platinum, diamond, but not yet lithium, uranium, or tin. Logos ten...tin.  Maybe X is pretty good!  It's much better than Logos Covid.

Posts 1523
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2021 11:23 PM

Rosie Perera:

MJ. Smith:
the 10th anniversary of Logos

DIsciple II:
Is it the 10th anniversary?

No, they've actually been around since 1992. Coming up on their 30th anniversary. The history of releases is included here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logos_Bible_Software

Logos 4 was released in 2009.

Gosh, I still have my blue Logos 4 shirt! Cool

I still can't believe I've been using Logos for over 15 years now.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS