How to get the most out of Early Church Fathers?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 5
Scott Bunton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 3 2021 9:03 PM

New to Logos and I'm trying to understand what features and datasets would be needed to bring references from the Early Church Fathers into Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide, etc. Does one need the Silver package with the Ancient Literature Dataset to do so or could one achieve satisfactory results with Bronze? Its not clear to me if the document itself tagged/referenced to bring in results or if it will depend on whether one has the correct dataset or not. Thank you for any help.

Posts 26056
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 3 2021 11:18 PM

Hi Scott - and welcome to Logos and to the forums

Scott Bunton:
Does one need the Silver package with the Ancient Literature Dataset to do so or could one achieve satisfactory results with Bronze? Its not clear to me if the document itself tagged/referenced to bring in results or if it will depend on whether one has the correct dataset or not.

The Ancient Literature dataset has all the references tagged and will show them all (relevant to a passage) in the Ancient Literature section of the Guide. You will only be able to access those for which you have the associated resource - all others links will be "inert".

So you need to have the dataset enabled and then you will get results based on your resources.

Does that help?

Graham

Posts 2647
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 5:26 AM

Another option is to put them in a collection and then add that collection to your passage guide. It will find all references in the collection that the guide is set to or if it linked to a Bible. A third option is to open the CitedBy tool and add that collection there.

The Ancient Literature Dataset is curate and probably the most complete and will include material not found in the two methods above. It will also provide links to many resources you may not have in your library.

See a comparison below of Eccl 2.1

Looks like the Citedby tool pick up one that was not in AL and Al has several not in my collection. I do not have the Targums in this collection.

Posts 5
Scott Bunton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 7:35 AM

That answers my question. Thank you Graham

Posts 5
Scott Bunton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 4 2021 7:36 AM

Thanks John. That's helpful in understanding how Logos collects the information.

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 5 2021 11:38 PM

Hi Scott:

Sometimes a quick way to look for some initial information is to take a look at the Catholic Topical Index:

Posts 78
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 6 2021 3:20 AM

Wow, thanks for asking this question. This whole time I was just using the Commentaries Guide and majority of the time I would just get directed to Chrysostom's homilies. I didn't realize that the Ancient Literature dataset provided much more. Thanks everyone!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS