Opening a Complete Commentary and Not Just One of the Books.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 6 2021 3:57 PM

I am trying to set my favorites up and I have figured out how to get books and such to follow me, but I cannot get the entire set of commentaries to open.  Rather, I have had to open each individual book.  I know it can be done as I accidentally did something and opened one series up.  I also accidentally did something and all my books closed.  I then lost the open "complete" commentary series.

Thanks!

Posts 5997
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 11:07 AM

Mark Cowen:

I am trying to set my favorites up and I have figured out how to get books and such to follow me, but I cannot get the entire set of commentaries to open.  Rather, I have had to open each individual book.  I know it can be done as I accidentally did something and opened one series up.  I also accidentally did something and all my books closed.  I then lost the open "complete" commentary series.

Thanks!

Greetings Mark, and welcome to the forum community.

Most folk don't want an entire commentary set open on their desktop at the same time. One of the joys of Logos is the idea of 'series'. With all the books in a commentary set in the same series one can link a single set to link a Bible and a Commentary and as one moves between books of the in the Bible the relevant commentary volume will open as the last one closes.

Could you explain why you want 'the entire set of commentaries to open'

If I have misunderstood your question please accept my apology.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2760
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 12:20 PM

Mark Cowen:
I have figured out how to get books and such to follow me, but I cannot get the entire set of commentaries to open.

Welcome to the Forums!

If a Bible, Guide and a Commentary are all in the same "Linkset" then it should follow you without needing 66 panes open.

For Example: I put the ESV, my Passage Guide, the NICNT and NIVAC all in Linkset A then typed Mark 15 in the Passage Guide. The Guide showed me my Best (a collection based on my preferences) Commentaries on MK 15 and My collection of Exposittory Commentaries that include Mark 15. Since NICNT and NIVAC were already open in my commentary panel, it opened the volumes on this passage.

If I enter "Colossians 2:8" into the ESV reference, then my guide populates with the Best commentaries I have on Colossians, My Expositional commentaries that include Colossians 2:8 and since NICNT and NIVAC were already open in my commentary panel, it closed the Mark volumes and opened the Colossians volumes.

Mark Cowen:
I also accidentally did something and all my books closed.

most likely you clicked this button

Once you get the layout as you like, make sure to save the layout for future reference:

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 5:50 AM

Thanks for the reply Mike!

This is the way that I have worked my studies for years, but I am open to a different way if I can get it to work:

1.  On the left hand side of my screen, I have my bible translations that I use open (typically 4).

2.  On the right hand side I have my commentaries and such open (tabs  up top of course).  I typically have at least 5-7 of them "following me".  

As I go through my bible passages, I can click a tab on the right side and see what each commentator had to say about those verses.  

The commentaries that I am most interested in having all the "series" opened up would be The Bible Knowledge Commentary, The John Phillips Exploring Series Commentaries and the Complete Biblical Library.  The last two are composed of multiple individual books.  I don't want to have to open each book up individually as I go through study and I don't want 40 - 60 tabs open.  In WordSearch, these commentaries acted as one tab and the JPES did here at LOGOS at first and Im not sure how I did it.

Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 5:51 AM

I look forward to digging through this reply later today.  Thank you for taking the time to post this info and the pics!  It makes it easier for people like me.  LOL!

Posts 2645
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 6:25 AM

In addition to David's excellent suggestions, once a commentary and bible are linked, if the bible changes biblical books and that commentary series has a commentary on the new reference, Logos will open it. So to summarize, link, as shown above, the bible you are studying in to a commentary that has multiple volumes such as Tyndale and then as you travel through your study that commentary set will follow.

I personally prefer using the Passage Guide as it offers many more options, but sometimes you may just want a bible and commentary set for your studies.

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 2:12 PM

Thanks so very much!  David, your pictures proved to be exactly what I needed.  I feel comfortable now as I prepare for tomorrow.  Layout saved!  I'd be interested in any other setups that others may have that they like.

Thanks again!

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 2:16 PM

Thanks men!  I've gotten my setup like I like it and its saved.  David, your pictures made the difference!  Thanks again.

Is there anyway to get the bible view in linear verse mode rather than a paragraph style.  I tend to lose my place.  

Posts 11
Mark Cowen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:31 PM

I have one more question:

Is there a way to make the bible a linear view rather than paragraph view?  I'd like to see each verse start on a different line.

Thanks!

Posts 5997
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 1:56 AM

Mark Cowen:

Thanks men!  I've gotten my setup like I like it and its saved.  David, your pictures made the difference!  Thanks again.

Is there anyway to get the bible view in linear verse mode rather than a paragraph style.  I tend to lose my place.  

Play with these settings...

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2760
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 8:09 AM

Mark Cowen:
  I've gotten my setup like I like it and its saved.  David, your pictures made the difference!  Thanks again.

You are VERY welcome. I have not been to Morris Proctor training so I am self-taught and have learned MUCH from other Forum users.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2760
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 8:43 AM

Mark Cowen:
  I'd be interested in any other setups that others may have that they like.

These are my sermon prep layouts for each testament. Here is a tour starting in upper left panel: (note this is on a 27" monitor so there is room for everything in one place)

Guides:

This panel contains the Passage Guide, Exegetical Guide and My custom "Textual Sermon Workflow" (the passage guide contains a collection of what I believe are the best commentaries on each book so that I can quickly open them based upon the text I am preaching.

Source Material:

This panel contains Bible Texts and content I create. My preaching version plus 1 more literal (visual filter that exposes word level) and 1 more dynamic (visual filter that exposes discourse features) translation, I create a Canvas Document where I diagram the flow of the text, and I use the Sermon Document as 1 central place for my research.

LOGOS tools:

Notes opened to a notebook for this particular sermon, Clippings file where I collect quotes in research, Factbook and Timeline for background, Passage Analysis where I use a Version River to see where various translations tend to agree/disagree with each other.

Breadcrumbs:

Favorites Folder where I save a shortcut to Notes, Clippings & Sermon Document organized by TOPIC and REFERENCE, Copy Bible Verses & INFO pane

LOOKUP:

The copy of my main preaching Bible does NOT belong to the main linkset so I can lookup a side reference without loosing the main flow of my study.

ORIGINAL LANGUAGE tools:

Text in original language and preferred dictionaries/lexicons to lookup key terms

Commentaries:

I open a copy of my favorite one-volume and background commentaries here that I check for each sermon.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS