Logosian Hymnologists: Prepub about to Ship

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 7 2021 6:28 PM

https://www.logos.com/product/184118/hymns-and-hymnody-historical-and-theological-introductions

This prepub may have already been recommended/discussed. 

But it's unusual.

- 3 action-packed volumes (ok, lyrical). And you can buy individually by period.

- Unusual, since it crosses traditions by time, looking at the changes

- An academic base; or would that be alto?

At our church years back, they crossed those wonderful expansive organ-driving songs out, in favor of snappy base-guitar beats. But what caught my attention, was the object of worship had shifted. Hmmm?

Posts 33442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 8:55 PM

Yes

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 8401
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 7 2021 11:06 PM

Well all the samples are broken links so no sample me no buy 😂

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 8 2021 12:22 AM

DAL:

Well all the samples are broken links so no sample me no buy 😂

Normally I would say just check the sample pages on Amazon, but even they don't show any real sample pages, just the front matter and back cover. However I love all things hymn related, so I've had an order in for a couple of years.

Posts 8401
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 9 2021 11:39 AM

The individual volumes have sample pages in the “see inside” section: https://www.logos.com/product/176122/hymns-and-hymnody-historical-and-theological-introductions-volume-1-from-asia-minor-to-western-europe 

DAL

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 8:49 AM

Well, indeed it shipped. For later wonder'ers:

- The articles are quite good and much detail. The one on African American is interesting, since they link it into a type of preaching, etc. Quite interesting.

- Battle of the hymnals (my description) is curious, especially as the groups re-group

- Humor is a nice feature. I copied a couple below, if you ever got involved in shape-note singing:

--------

And on the Catholic side (I'll soon get in trouble):

Posts 19308
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:21 PM

DMB:
- Humor is a nice feature. I copied a couple below, if you ever got involved in shape-note singing:

Thanks for the heads-up. I bought this set and haven't had time to dip into it yet.

I've done some shape-note singing in a Sacred Harp group in Vancouver a few times, and I have the Sacred Harp book. There's a wonderful documentary about shape-note singing called Awake, My Soul: The Story of the Sacred Harp. It's hard to come by. There are some excerpts from it, and the full soundtrack, on YouTube, and the DVD is available (used and quite pricey) from Amazon.

I'm enjoying poking around in these volumes now. I wish the hymn titles were linked and that we could prioritize hymnals in our library to jump to when a hymn title is clicked.

I can go through and add links myself to the Logos Digital Hymnal, but this is tedious.

Posts 33442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 2:29 PM

FL really needs to create a standard label for hymns, even if (as for personal letters) the user has to do much of the labeling themselves. It would provide search capabilities, Factbook entries (I believe Factbook should include religious art), and service planning functions.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:25 PM

Agree on linkages/labels. Coincidentally, I have my trusty Logos Hymnal downloaded, preparing for December. No easy, peasy.

When Libby introduced hymnals, and Steve Green, I thought Logos might be seeing hymns as a respectable endeavor. But it's been touch and go since then (mostly go).   Liturgical seemed to offer a new path forward.

I was surprised with this book, hymns were largely the teaching tool of years past. People couldn't read, but they could sing.  Also surprised at integrating singing and preaching. I now realize, everything I learned at the Navajo church, was from the Navajo hymnal. 

A bit off-post, but vol 1 of this collection was discussing 1st century hymning, and it poked at a greek word in Eph 5:19 (I think), in latin translated 'play'. Oh my ... my shape-note family would warn of the flames of Gehenna over 'play'. 

Posts 33442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:38 PM

DMB:
my shape-note family would warn of the flames of Gehenna over 'play'. 

Given the propensity of a certain group to divide over small details - was your family 4 shape or 7 shape? I'm sure there is a Bible passage for that.
Note 1: DMB and I grew up in difference portions of the same movement and went different ways afterwards. This may best be considered insider humor.

Note 2: I sing 4 shape but my favorite shaped-note hymn only appears in 7 shape hymnals.

Posts 2371
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 4:01 PM

fasola -- Sacred harp?!

Posts 513
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 4:06 PM

MJ. Smith:
was your family 4 shape or 7 shape? I'm sure there is a Bible passage for that.

7-shape, of course. My uncle taught shape-note, with slightly fewer flames threatened, if we were off-key. He had his little 7-note tuner he'd start us off with.

Posts 33442
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 4:26 PM

GaoLu:
fasola -- Sacred harp?!

Shape note - Wikipedia

Sacred Harp is a hymnal - two separate ones blue or red ... blue allows some gospel songs (still 19th century), red (Denison) does not.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS