All Bible verses written by Paul relating to money

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 14
Joshua H. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 13 2021 8:47 AM

Hello all!

Here's an interesting one: I am doing a research project on a Pauline theology of poverty. Anyone know of an existing list of Bible verses relating to Paul and money, or an easy way to generate such a list using Logos? I am always amazed by the Logos features that I don't know exist. 

Thanks!

Posts 25765
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:53 PM

Hi Joshua

You could try a search like this - note I am constraining the search range to the Pauline Epistles

Posts 1163
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 2:28 PM

Graham is Mr Smart with searches. I don't use the fancy search but if you're lazy like me, you can use Bible Browser. I selected Paul, and then put in a search 'poverty'. I didn't know Jesus' becoming poor was a Pauline point. I tried several others ... wealth, rich, etc  Quite interesting.

I always smiled when the Corinth poor argued they were just as poor as the Jerusalem guys.

Posts 201
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 9:29 AM

When I was first using Logos, I felt like the most helpful replies walked me through how to do something step-by-step.

I would start with Graham's search, and then look at those results in more detail to try and find more. I went to 1 Timothy 3:3 first (at random) and right clicked on "lover of money." I opened the sense "not loving money" in the Bible Sense Lexicon and saw that it was not a part of any other groupings. Dead end! But I opened Louw-Nida to the entry, and see that 25.107-25.109 are all similar, so I will jot those down. 

Next, I went to 1 Timothy 6:10. I already have the love of money from my Louw-Nida search, but I noticed "those who desire to be rich" in verse 9. Right-clicking "rich," I find that it is a different Bible Sense than the others, and that the sense "to be wealthy" and "to be rich" are both listed beside each other in the BS lexicon. The lexicon also suggests I consider the sense "to enrich," which also leads to "to be enriched" and the antonym "to impoverish."

I notice that "to impoverish" leaves me short on several things, so I do another basic search for "poor, poverty, lack, need, hunger." Not all of these results are relevant, but some are. Romans 12:13, for instance, calls for contributing to the needs of the saints. "Needs" leads me to Louw Nida 57.40, where I notice a bunch of relevant numbers. In fact, LN 57.22-54 all seem relevant enough to me to include.

The next Scripture that stands out to me is 1 Corinthians 4:11, where Paul talks about being hungry, thirsty, poorly dressed, buffeted, and homeless. I like this verse because most of those words are relevant to the list I am trying to make, and so I can get a lot of data all at once. I can extract the senses hunger, to be hungry, to thirst, thirst, to be poorly dressed ⇔ be naked, nakedness, naked, and to vagabond. I could also do something similar with Louw Nida numbers (hunger is 23.29-33, etc.). If I were doing this for myself, I would probably pick one method or the other, but it seems helpful to include both for the sake of demonstration. 

Finally, I want to look at 2 Corinthians 8:9, since this one is obviously a metaphorical usage and I want to be sure it is not missed by my earlier searches. But they are all in the LN range I already found.

So, to put this all together, I would do a search of All Bible Text in Pauline Epistles for <LouwNida LN 25.107-25.109>, <LouwNida LN 57.22-57.54>, <Sense to be rich>, <Sense to be made rich>, <Sense to enrich>, <Sense to be enriched>, <Sense to impoverish>, <Sense to be wealthy>, <Sense hunger>, <Sense to be hungry>, <Sense thirst>, <Sense to be thirsty>, <Sense to be poorly dressed ⇔ be naked>, <Sense nakedness>, <Sense naked>, <Sense to vagabond>

This gives me 63 verses, most of which look right to me. But spot checking it against the original, simple search, I see that 1 Corinthians 16:2 is missing. Uh oh spaghettios. When I click it, I see that the problem is that there is nothing explicit about money in the original text. The NIV has helpfully clarified that the collection is financial, but my previous search would not have caught that. I also missed "to prosper" in that verse, which leads me to its LN number of 57.64. Looking at the similar terms, I think I want 57.64-70. The next sets of LN numbers are about giving and receiving, so it would not be unreasonable to include them too, depending on the focus of your study. You will get more false positives that way, but might catch a few verses that will be missed otherwise. So my final search, including that last range, gives me 68 verses. 

To further refine this, I would use the cross reference guide on some of these passages to see other Scriptures and make sure I am not missing any. If I am, I would look at them and try to find what terms would include them. After that, I would save the search as a passage list and delete the false positives to have my final results.

Posts 5458
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 4:19 PM

DMB:

I always smiled when the Corinth poor argued they were just as poor as the Jerusalem guys.

The grifters.

I always thought it humorous that Paul "robbed" the poorest church (Philippi) to give the Corinthians (the not poorest) a free ride. Principle established!

Also chuckle worthy...the prophetic weather report of famine across the entire inhabited earth prompted Antioch to send its assumedly soon to be scarce food to Jerusalem...because.

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 1033
Hamilton Ramos | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 5:06 PM

Hi Joshua:

Another way to go about this is to make a collection of dictionaries, encyclopedias, and topical resources (like the Dictionary of Bible themes), and run a basic search on poverty.

Once you have the list of applicable verses, then you could do some discourse analysis or similar to see imporatnce of the thrust in the context.

Once having the macro view, see what relates to Paul, and how much of it is due to his particular context, and how much jibes with other train of thought.

That way you could probably tell what is Paul's, and what is H. S.

All of the above is theoretical of course, and I will probably do it myself once I get the chance.

Hope this gives you another angle to the search.

Posts 2675
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 6:39 PM

Justin Gatlin:

YesYes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 14
Joshua H. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 19 2021 7:50 AM

This is super helpful, thank you all! I love posting on these forums and learning more about Logos. :)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS