pop up from right click on a word

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 13 2021 10:31 AM

When I right click on a word to do a word study, the menu I get is not the same as Morris Proctor's so the instructions he gives don't always work for me.  First of all the menu on my computer is on the left rather than the right as on his, and the menu is totally different than his.  I don't know what he means when he says select the word because it seems to already be selected.  I hope someone can make sense of this for me.  Thank you in advance.

Posts 1186
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 11:26 AM

What computer and software are you using? What version of Logos and level do you have? Also are you using Logos Desktop or The Web App?

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 11:46 AM

More details would be helpful, including screen shots. See the link below.

This thread may be moved to the appropriate forum (i.e. L9 Desktop). 

https://www.take-a-screenshot.org 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 12:30 PM

I have a MacBook Pro and Logos 9. I am using the desktop version, not mobile. I hope that answers your questions. I have the latest update of the Mac software. 

Posts 1186
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:26 PM

When you right click on a word, what happens? What do you see?

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:38 PM

Kathleen:
I hope that answers your questions

A picture is worth a thousand words. Can you provide a screenshot of what you see with Morris vs. what you see on your computer? 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 25331
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 1:59 PM

Kathleen:
First of all the menu on my computer is on the left rather than the right as on his, and the menu is totally different than his.

The left-right orientation of this menu was changed in Logos 8.7 so it is possible the video you are watching was recorded in an earlier version of the software.

Kathleen:
I don't know what he means when he says select the word because it seems to already be selected.

He may be meaning to select it if it is not already selected

As other have said, posting a screenshot (use the paperclip icon) to show what you are seeing and to explain the problem with it would be helpful

Posts 1186
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 2:27 PM

Does your screen look like the first picture or the second?

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:27 PM

It is more like the second window here, but there is nothing appearing on the left side at all except the word at the top.  The rest of the left side is completely blank.

I tried to attach a screenshot with no luck.

Posts 33762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:48 PM

This menu is called the Context Menu because what appears on it depends upon:

• The resource - it must be tagged for many of the elements to appear; no tag-no option
  • Your dataset library - you must own the appropriate dataset for some elements to appear
  • Your features purchase - you must own the feature set that is required for some elements to appear

What resource are you selecting a word in? That may be all we need to know to explain your results. For the largest number of options on the left, select a word in a Bible for which you own a reverse interlinear.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:48 PM

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:52 PM

In the training video I was watching Morris Proctor was searching a word in a personal book, as was I.  I selected a word I knew would be found in the bible hoping to have it pull up more resources.  But it doesn't look anything at all like his on my computer.  However, I think some of the replies are helping me understand the differences.  I still can't do what he does on the video he is teaching, though, and that is frustrating.

Thank you all for your assistance.  I have tried and tried and tried to attach a screenshot from both my personal book and from the training video by Morris Proctor.  I have been unsuccessful with both, I think.

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 3:54 PM

The attachment that I did manage to attach is from my own Logos and a right click on a word from a personal book.  I selected "wilderness" to do a search, thinking that it would be a word that would come up in the Bible as well as in my personal book, so hopefully it would have more resources in which to study it.

I cannot seem to send the screenshot from his training video.

Posts 1186
Dale E Heath | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 4:07 PM

Experiment with a bible, like the Lexham Bible. What level of Logos do you have? Bronze,Silver?

Posts 33762
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 13 2021 4:37 PM

Personal books will only show the selection unless you have added labels, community tags, milestones et.al. to your resource. The resource has almost no automatic tagging. Try your primary Bible to see the difference.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 10:29 AM

I selected a word in a personal book, because that is what Morris selected a word in on the video I was watching.  I have Logos 9 and I have a lot of books in my library as I came to Logos via WordSearch and had been with WSB for 20 some years and had purchased a lot of books and purchased a couple thousand dollars more since coming over to Logos.  I really don't know how much help that is to you in answering my question,  Thank you to all who are helping me understand what is going on with it.

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 10:31 AM

How do I add labels, community tags, milestones, et al?  I was only doing what Morris was doing on his video, using a personal book that I had just added, which appeared to be what he was doing....he had added a sermon.

Posts 42
Kathleen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 10:32 AM

I think I have silver.

Posts 25331
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 14 2021 10:45 AM

Kathleen:
How do I add labels, community tags, milestones, et al?

https://wiki.logos.com/Personal_Books has some pointers.

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS