Resources on regeneration

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Oct 23 2021 8:59 AM

What are some resources I could use to get an overview of different positions about the regeneration of a person in connection with salvation (before, at,after, God's role, etc.)I have a limited budget, so a good solution would be one resource that reviews different views, but I'm open to whatever people suggest. My purpose is to do a sermon on the new birth.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2675
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 9:32 AM

Jim:
What are some resources

Have you checked the "Recommended Reading" section of the FACTBOOK entry on "Regeneration"?

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 10:08 AM

Hi,

You would do wise to check out what your Logos library shows up. Possible search terms (besides regeneration): rebirth, “born-again”, baptism, “effectual-call”, monergism, synergism, monergist, synergist, Pelagianism, “semi-pelagianism”, will, “free-will” etc. etc.

I haven’t read this (by the late prof. Bruce Demarest) myself, but according to the rubrics or the headlines it seems to cover the main options: self-actualized regeneration (Pelagians and liberals), baptismal regeneration (Catholic, Lutheran, Anglo-Catholics), presumptive and promissory regeneration (Covenant Reformed), synergistic regeneration (Arminianism), regeneration a work of God in response to faith (Reformed Evangelicals).

(After coming from conducting a baptism today Big Smile), I did read the Lutheran description from it (being a Lutheran myself), and it was quite accurate in it’s assessment of baptismal regeneration. On others I won't comment on, since this is not a place for evaluating other's theology.

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 12:59 PM

Great suggestions

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 681
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 1:03 PM

David Thomas:
Have you checked the "Recommended Reading" section of the FACTBOOK entry on "Regeneration"?

Well, whaddya know. I had used the Topic Guide and never thought to go to the Fact Book. I'm always confused by the difference between the two. When I followed your suggestion, a number of great resources I already have in my library popped up. I'm really grateful for your assistance.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2675
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 23 2021 7:18 PM

Jim:
When I followed your suggestion, a number of great resources I already have in my library popped up.

YesYes

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2021 2:46 AM

EDIT: I removed this per instructions by Denise as a violation of forum guidelines (too theological). My apologies!

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2021 8:05 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

We often shy 

.... removed with Olli's gracious edits ...

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 24 2021 8:32 AM

DMB:

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

We often shy 

you definitely didn't shy from ignoring the forum guidelines!

Thank you, Denise. Advice heeded and taken seriously!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS