Building a Collection

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 167
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 28 2021 8:44 PM

I want to build a Collection from books in my Library that deal with The Life of Christ. In my library I have several books with the title Life Of Christ and other books which have the subject of The Life of Christ. I want to build collection for those books, Have tried many options but can't get it.

Posts 19600
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 28 2021 9:35 PM

Subj:"Life of Christ" OR Title:"Life of Christ"

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 679
Bill Shewmaker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 7:27 AM

I found this one somewhere along the line that has helped me:

title:"Life of Christ" OR subject:"Christ" OR mytag:"life of Christ" ANDNOT Christian OR topic:"Christ" ANDNOT Christian 

Posts 167
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 8:13 AM

These are great suggestions. When searching with Logos the result are good when done right but how figure out the filters are very difficult for me. Wish it was simpler than it is. But thanks so much for your help

Posts 9171
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 8:26 AM

Just don’t build too many collections or it will slow down your machine 👌

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 1:40 PM

DAL:
it will slow down your machine

Has anyone ever calculated the "optimum" # of Collections.

i.e. "How many" is "too many"? OR "acceptable "range" of #'s?

Thanks

Regards, SteveF

Posts 1635
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 2:29 PM

SteveF:

DAL:

This thread was interesting ... especially when Armin deleted a bunch of collections for no benefit. Advised saving them first.  Later in the thread, Bradley explained the challenges of collection queries in visual filters .... surprising.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/190721/1100428.aspx?ssi=0 

But earlier, a mystified Logosian with over 500 collections, was advised by Bradley ... that's too many. But on further review (user logs), he retracted that.

So, probabably a lot might be ok, but too many might not be ok.

Maybe someone knows.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 3:07 PM

DMB:
But earlier, a mystified Logosian with over 500 collections, was advised by Bradley ... that's too many. But on further review (user logs), he retracted that.

DMB, Thank you 

Mine are in the mid-400's so I guess then I am O.K?

I will read through that thread

Thanks so much

Regards, SteveF

Posts 28007
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 7:15 PM

DMB:

SteveF:

DAL:

This thread was interesting ... especially when Armin deleted a bunch of collections for no benefit. Advised saving them first.  Later in the thread, Bradley explained the challenges of collection queries in visual filters .... surprising.

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/190721/1100428.aspx?ssi=0 

So, probabably a lot might be ok, but too many might not be ok.

Maybe someone knows.

Heuristics are the best we can come up with, so here are mine:

• don't use a Collection if you have a tag or series for the resources ---> tags and series are recognised in Passage Guide and Searches e.g. mytag:Background-Commentary, mytag:Apologetics, series:myOT-NT-Lexicon
  • don't use a Collection if the type will suffice  --->  you can enter type:grammar in a Search
  • if you are familiar & confident with Subjects use it in a Search  e.g. subj:fathers will give you the Nicene and Apostolic Fathers.
  • if you have a collection with a short rule you can remember (for a Search), delete it!
  • use the flexibility of Search Fields to advantage  e.g. mytag:(Notes, Background, Textual)  instead of mytag:Notes OR mytag:Background OR mytag:Textual; and series:Tyndale will find multiple series with "Tyndale" in the name.
  • for really complicated rules to use in Passage Guide import/use collections that use the Extension Syntax defined in the Library wiki (above).

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 8:58 PM

Dave Hooton:
Heuristics are the best we can come up with, so here are mine:

Thanks Dave

I have started to re-write mine.

This is VERY helpful.

Regards, SteveF

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS