Mecahnical Breakdown of Scripture

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Rev. Arthur M. Yates | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 29 2021 9:17 AM

If the Mechanical Breakdown of Scripture is found in Logos 9, where do I find it and will it do an automatic breakdown of Scripture passage. I have no knowledge on doing a Mechanical Breakdown and need all the help that I can get. Thanks for your input.

Posts 25772
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 9:27 AM

Hi - and welcome to the forums

What do you mean by a Mechanical Breakdown?

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 11:26 AM

Graham Criddle:
Mechanical Breakdown?

I am not attempting to speak for the OP Graham, but as taught here in North America this may be similar to the Logos Visual Filter: Propositional Outline?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 29 2021 12:02 PM

Welcome to the forums. Assuming that you mean one of the versions of Mechanical Layout of Scripture | The Mechanical Layout of the Scriptures (sermoninfo.com) then, no, Logos does not provide the function see:Using Logos to do a Mechanical Layout - Faithlife Forums for one person's work around before the Canvas tool which can also do it. I thought there was a request to add it as either mechical layout, block diagram, or text flow diagram but I don't find it on feedback.faithlife.com

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2
Rev. Arthur M. Yates | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 7:40 AM

Perhaps a better phrase would be “Mechanical Layout” I have been in Ministry for 50 years, with 24 of them as a Senior Pastor, but had never heard of this until this month. If it will help me to better “rightly divided the Word of Truth” then I want to learn, if an 82-year young man can still learn!

Posts 1174
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 9:24 AM

MJ. Smith:

Welcome to the forums. Assuming that you mean one of the versions of Mechanical Layout of Scripture | The Mechanical Layout of the Scriptures (sermoninfo.com) then, no, Logos does not provide the function see:Using Logos to do a Mechanical Layout - Faithlife Forums for one person's work around before the Canvas tool which can also do it. I thought there was a request to add it as either mechical layout, block diagram, or text flow diagram but I don't find it on feedback.faithlife.com

Interesting to reflect back on those references. The fatal flaw (exagerating) is typically verse-based tools. Vs paragraphs or chapters ... how the author developed his points.

Of course (!)  I've periodically recommended at least graphically mapping the flow directly on the text (I have that in my Bible software; easy to code). And neural-automation of argument structure (as well, but very messy). But more practically, I think mindmapping support was the main recommended solution by most Logosians. Sharable, even better.

Then there's the Outline Bible. Or Logos' Outline Browser.

Posts 2681
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 10:47 AM

Rev. Arthur M. Yates:
Perhaps a better phrase would be “Mechanical Layout”

I'm still unclear as to what you mean by "mechanical". I do know that I took Greek in undergraduate in the 1980's and the emphasis was on "word studies". I took it again 25 years later at the Masters level and the direction of study was more about interrelation of clauses more than individual words.

I have found the Exegetical Guide opened to the section labeled visualizations is a help in observing the flow of discourse. (Deppe, Runge & Porter do this well)

I have also found value in https://www.logos.com/product/39605/the-literary-structure-of-the-old-testament-a-commentary-on-genesis-malachi in identifying chiasms and parallelisms in Hebrew thought.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 11:13 AM

David Thomas:
I'm still unclear as to what you mean by "mechanical".

I gave one example above. Another format A Mechanical Layout of Scripture | Seeking Our God (wordpress.com) ... by "mechanical" they mean that the rules for creation are well-defined leaving little room for personal judgement i.e. one could easily program a computer to create the layout. In Logos Bauer, David R., and Robert A. Traina. Inductive Bible Study: A Comprehensive Guide to the Practice of Hermeneutics. Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Academic, 2011. teaches a rather complex form of it. or https://ref.ly/logosres/grksgrtgn?ref=Page.p+48 gives directions for one version.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2681
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 12:25 PM

MJ. Smith:
by "mechanical" they mean that the rules for creation are well-defined leaving little room for personal judgement

IF Rev. Yates' use of mechanical is the same as MJ's use of mechanical, the visualizations in the Exegetical Guide should be quite helpful.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 161
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Oct 30 2021 8:03 PM

Not sure exactly what "Mechanical Outline" means but maybe the Proposition Outline would be helpful.

https://support.logos.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016529972-Visual-Filters#h_ea1a489e-d5d3-4db4-849c-502b42668364

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 1 2021 6:52 AM

Rev. Arthur M. Yates:
if an 82-year young man can still learn!

I was still able to learn at that age! Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS