Large Monitor With Logos

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 3 2021 2:12 PM

i am considering upgrading to a larger monitor.  I currently have a 27 inch monitor. I was looking at a 35 inch curved monitor. Does anyone use a large monitor for Logos?  What is your experience? What size monitor do you think would be most beneficial?

Posts 1597
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2021 3:38 PM

I use 2x32" 4k monitors (and a third 22" in portrait), although not at full resolution. The answer for you depends upon your eyesight and your budget. 

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 719
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 3 2021 4:15 PM

I also use multiple monitors in different orientations.

I am not always consistent in what I use, and try out different things, depending on what project is more critical to me at the time.

Posts 1733
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2021 12:15 AM

My friend's son has a 34" inexpensive curved monitor for gaming, perhaps been using for 3 years already and is very happy with it.

I am using one 3840x2160 with full resolution (and wearing glasses for the working distance) and a very old 1920x1080 beside it. When using Logos I can choose the font size and line spacing (normally the maximal line spacing, Logos calls it "loose").

If I had the money and desktop space I would like to get three 24" 3840x2160 monitors and put them side by side in portrait mode. Wink

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 25
Crboone | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 4 2021 6:00 PM

My 43" TV doubles as a monitor and it works great. I sit about 7-8' away and have the display scale set to 350% (which is large, but I need it for my eyesight).

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 5 2021 5:43 AM

Crboone:

My 43" TV doubles as a monitor and it works great. I sit about 7-8' away and have the display scale set to 350% (which is large, but I need it for my eyesight).

Thanks Crboone.  That is a great idea. I was thinking the same just yesterday.  I have a 42 inch tv monitor in my basement that I am not using. I will just have to figure out if I can attach a monitor on each side of it. 

Posts 719
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 5:19 AM

Some TVs work very differently than monitors. I'm sure there are other people, here, that understand it better than me. Resolution and I don't know what else can be factors.

My smart TV does not work well as a monitor even with some tweaking. I forget all that I tried, but I know that I unplugged it and bought another monitor, even though I had to use credit to make the purchase.

Posts 2962
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 5:32 AM

I am on windows.  How does one attach the third monitor?  Curranty have a 15 inch laptop and an 18 inch monitor feeding out the hdmi port. 

Posts 25
Crboone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 9:04 AM

TV's are known for having input lag, so they aren't as suitable for things that really require a quick response time, like gaming, etc. There may be very slight lag on my TV, but for what I use it for, it's fine and not really noticeable. And it's quite a bit cheaper than a large monitor. They're also improved over time, so an older one may not work as well as a newer one.

I bought my inexpensive Vizio smart TV last year and it's been fine for internet, documents, video (of course), etc ... and the Bible apps I use. I also use it connected to my work laptop during the day. I'm also able to pass the sound from the PC through the TV to an integrated amp. 

I wouldn't recommend it for close-up, though. I do sit several feet away and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

Posts 2844
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 9:41 AM

I been working mostly on a 15 inch laptop for the last couple of years. The screen is 4K and it has spoiled me. I know if I go back to using my desktop again, it will be because of a high resolution larger monitor and that would be 4K or more.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 719
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 10:38 AM

Crboone:

TV's are known for having input lag, so they aren't as suitable for things that really require a quick response time ...

... I wouldn't recommend it for close-up, though. I do sit several feet away and use a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

My memory is so fuzzy of what happened when I tried to use the TV as a monitor, but now that you list these issues, I remember them.

I had definite lag. I think there was lag even when typing in a word processor.

And, yes, the farther away that I was from the screen, the better.

Posts 25
Crboone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 10:58 AM

I will say both my TV and PC are fairly new (about a year old) -- though my work laptop is 3 years old and it works fine with the TV. Both have ample RAM as well. RAM and graphics probably impact the speed as well as the TV. I do pretty hefty word processing without any noticeable lag. I mean, there may a difference if I directly compare with the monitor, but not enough to notice in actual use.

I guess each person would have to test their own setup to determine whether it would work well or not. I do like it, though. After years of messing up my eyes sitting right up on a monitor, it rests my eyes a bit to be able to sit at a distance.

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 11:10 AM

David Ames:

I am on windows.  How does one attach the third monitor?  Curranty have a 15 inch laptop and an 18 inch monitor feeding out the hdmi port. 

You can use something similar to this (I bought this one several years ago and used it until I changed computers).

It worked will for what I wanted (Specifically LOGOS).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AIJE9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

They have them for all different monitor input types and price points.

Posts 5913
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 11:12 AM

Crboone:
I guess each person would have to test their own setup to determine whether it would work well or not.

I would have thought that any TV with a resolution of 4k (or better) would double as a monitor pretty well. A couple of my friends have them as desktop monitors.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 25
Crboone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 11:42 AM

Maybe that's it. Mine is a 4k as well.

Posts 2962
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 2:51 PM

Roy:

It worked will for what I wanted (Specifically LOGOS).

They have them for all different monitor input types and price points.

Its all in the power of USB.  Thanks, now I know what to look for.  Am enjoying two monitors may find use for three.

Posts 719
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 3:06 PM

I don't know what my TV is. It is an older Fire TV bought from Best Buy for about $100.00. I am sorry that I am so fuzzy about all this. I did do some research at the time, and really wanted to make it it work, but it just didn't. I am so very glad that I didn't buy the TV for the purpose of using it as a monitor. It is less upsetting to fail at repurposing something.

Posts 1271
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 3:08 PM

I find 27-28 inch to be the sweet spot for size. I don't mind 1080p resolution but I prefer 4k.

I used to have 3 monitors but I found that I could just as easily alt tab through windows as look around me by turning my head and shifting in my chair. Given my eyes are roughly 1m from the screen I feel that 28inch gives me a good field of view while sitting still. It is also about 2x wider than my macbook screen but taller. 28 inch also gives room for 2 full a4 pages with tools etc when designing publications. It's not very satisfactory for watching tv though.

I might be interested in a bigger / wider monitor eventually but I think I'd want 8k or higher if I was going bigger. I really do like smooth fonts.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 25
Crboone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 3:09 PM

Kathleen Marie:

I don't know what my TV is. It is an older Fire TV bought from Best Buy for about $100.00. I am sorry that I am so fuzzy about all this. I did do some research at the time, and really wanted to make it it work, but it just didn't. I am so very glad that I didn't buy the TV for the purpose of using it as a monitor. It is less upsetting to fail at repurposing something.

Maybe you were just ahead of your time with the idea. Smile

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 6:16 AM

Thanks everyone for your input. This is very helpful.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS