Logos on Linux - please vote it here it really counts

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 7 2021 12:44 PM

Please visit the winehq appdb page here - https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=39484

Sign in on the left hand side - accounts are free. Then over on the right hand side it shows number of votes currently 136.

If we can get another 18 votes we'd be in the top 10 wine apps. This does encourage developer attention. Your vote counts.

While faithlife are not actively porting Logos to Linux, they have built the web app with Linux and ChromeOS etc partly in mind. Faithlife have been supportive of our efforts and encouraged us with helpful information etc. Special thanks to Bradley and indeed CEO Bob for their kindness.

Work continues at quite a pace... we are still having issues with printing, updates, video and speech but normal Bible study and most other features are well supported as you can see on the above linked page.

136 votes doesn't sound like much but to put that in context we are ahead of every other app except photoshop and affinity photo. The only other more popular votes are games.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 7 2021 12:54 PM

For clarification, I think this particularly gets us noticed by codeweavers, steam (proton) and crossover employees, who have all contributed code patches which help our cause recently.

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 1730
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 12:41 AM

Now it has 138 votes. 

Doing it was even more complex than the normal Logos voting. My son is a Linux developer but I was able to vote without asking him. I can consider myself as a digi-survivor. Geeked

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 11

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 1:04 AM

Veli Voipio:
Now it has 138 votes

Thanks, really appreciated. Please folks just take a few minutes for the cause... even if it won't benefit you, you are blessing a brother or sister.

Posts 2
Stephen Kim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 10:23 PM

Done

Posts 19
Kennet | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 8 2021 11:08 PM

Done

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 9 2021 1:49 AM

Thanks so much, keep them coming.

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 3:26 PM

Just 7 votes away now folks - please can we count on you?

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 1:13 AM

just 4 more votes... let's get there!

Posts 736
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 6:50 AM

A big thank you to those who have voted!

Now, if I may give a little encouragement to invest a few minutes into this project - by logging in at WineHQ and submitting 3 votes for Logos 9.

As John stated, the more votes, the more attention that the application receives from the developers - the added attention along with the assistance with valuable input that we have received from Faithlife members like Bradley - allows for advancement.

You may ask why those of us involved are so motivated for this project to become realized...

I will not speak for the others, but here is my why:

Originally, it was because as a former IT professional, the "techie" in me was always attracted to Linux - so it was an opportunity to experiment with troubleshooting and bug squashing.

That was fun, then I began to recognize the ministerial value more and more, something that those of us in the West and yes primarily America - well, we may look past outside of experience. Our society is used to the easy access we have to tech and honestly an economic atmosphere that allows those considered as poor to live with more than many other nations are capable of - the importance of that? Access to resources like Logos, a powerful tool of learning and study that has an incredible trickle down effect on the residents of the Kingdom of God!

So, to be transparent - there have been a number of times that I have considered tossing Linux by the wayside and going back to Windows, as Logos (my main application) just works, even the Betas that I normally run, they just work! Some of the frustration, is my own doing, always running the latest "developer" release and latest Logos Beta to try to stay ahead of the game on bugs and regressions, so I could choose to just sit by and deal with the couple major bugs that don't impact my use of Logos....

Then I think of some of the missionaries that I've met, and/or heard testimony of in areas of danger, risk and lack. Most of whom, cannot afford the latest and greatest of hardware, but could access the internet for a short period to sign up for a free Logos account and download the free engine - the value of Linux at this time, is it allows the older, cheaper hardware to continue to run strong and with this project we are striving to perfect - Logos; even with the continued advancement in tech; would be capable of continuing to run.

So, while I could just invest financially in the mission field, I'm convinced that this project has exponentially more value for those who would benefit greatly, where tech, seminary education and in depth study are not readily available or accessible.

We can invest in the missions field both financially and with our time:

For some, it may be an investment of time allotted, to signing up and voting for Logos 9 on WineHQ - For others, you may want to do that and get involved with our team that is working on the project and finally, there may be some of you that have the knowledge to stop by and check out some of the logs we post in relation to the issues still remaining (Thank You Bradley!!!) - it all helps!

I look forward to the day that I hear about the missionary that was able to enjoy the fruit of Logos on their old system running Linux, then I know all the frustration, full installs/re-installs and commitment that our Logos on Linux team has shared, did indeed produce fruit that may only be understood in eternity!

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 3:12 PM

Thanks so much folks - we are number 9 out of the top 10 apps on winehq - https://appdb.winehq.org/votestats.php

I'm very grateful and my hope is that this will encourage wine developers to consider us a priority. Indeed certain developers have already been very helpful and we are especially grateful to Louis Lenders and Nicolay Sivov!

Posts 1261
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 3:45 PM

Just a final note on this thread. It feels like we've built a great relationship with some of the wine developers and by collaborating on testing for regressions and patches we've made great progress. I'll keep posting on the main Linux thread with updates so signing off on this one with a huge thanks to everyone who voted.

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 7:30 PM

I love Linux, but not Wine.

I don't know what to wish for, vote for, and ask for, but for me, it isn't Wine.

Good luck!

Posts 964
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 8:55 PM

Kathleen Marie:

I love Linux, but not Wine.

I don't know what to wish for, vote for, and ask for, but for me, it isn't Wine.

Good luck!

Logos runs pretty darn well under Wine for me within my Ubuntu LXD container on my Chromebook. Without it, we Linux users would only have the Logos web app available to us. It's worth supporting the effort, even if you don't use or like it yourself.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS