Exposing voter emails?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 597
J. Remington Bowling | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 10 2021 10:07 AM

Looking at MJ's post encouraging us to vote for some features, I noticed that the site has a side container displaying the initials of the persons who voted for a feature and hovering the mouse over the initials gives a floating notification of their email. 

The problem(?) is that all of these emails are also embedded in the html: 

So they could be picked up by webscrapers for spam. (Or, less likely, an obsessed fan might send hate mail to people who vote for rival features Smile)

Maybe Faithlife could just display the username instead?

Potato resting atop 2020 Mac Pro stand.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:31 PM

That's really bad. Probably Logos won't be able to do anything about it - it's feedbear who are running the site.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:38 PM

Might be an unwanted result of this https://feedback.feedbear.com/boards/feedback/posts/make-customer-emails-visible (I assume they only wanted to make it visible to the companies runing the feedback sites.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:47 PM

I have written to Feedbear and left a note under that link - hopefully they will react fast.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:50 PM

Already got an answer to my email:

"This is not intended and will be immediately addressed. It's a bug and will be resolved ASAP."

Posts 3260
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 12:54 PM

I just sent a note to my contact there to make sure they're aware that this needs a quick resolution, and I also got an immediate reply indicating that it'll be fixed ASAP.

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 10 2021 7:38 PM

Thanks, Phil, and Bernhard, and J. Remington for bringing this up!

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 4:48 AM

Seems only partly fixed so far. While you can't see the email addresses anymore when hovering over the icon, they can still be found in the source code of the page.

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 7:06 AM

Bernhard:

Seems only partly fixed so far. While you can't see the email addresses anymore when hovering over the icon, they can still be found in the source code of the page.

Now it seems to be fully fixed. Thanks everyone.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS