Strategies for Backing Up Resources

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 17
Rev. James Neuendorf | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 11 2021 5:21 AM

I have a large digital library (over 7000 volumes between logos, kindle, and pdf). Because I am a missionary I do not keep a physical library of more than 25 books. As you can imagine, my nightmare scenario is a loss of these resources because of outside events beyond my control, so I am looking for strategies for backup.

1. Backing up for offline use seems easy, I already have a backup of all these resources and the install file for the software on a separate hard drive. I am the least concerned with a temporary outage at faithlife or at my ISP. Even a permanent end to the internet wouldn’t be a problem (unless I don’t know about a license check in process that I would be missing). 

2. A more serious concern would be the loss of hardware because of a situation like an EMP strike, or a hack that takes out computers which then cannot be replaced because of a global supply shortage of microchips (sound familiar?) I would like to find a way to make a hard copy of my library through some automated process onto something like microfiche, some way to “print” all the key books which won’t be on mountains of paper.

Any ideas? Have any of you thought through any of these scenarios and how you might protect your investment?

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 6:09 AM

Rev. James Neuendorf:
Any ideas? Have any of you thought through any of these scenarios and how you might protect your investment?

I have thought about it, and am of the opinion, that in the scenarios you outline above there will be so much Kingdom work to be done outside the office, (if the concept of 'office' still exists) that a Bible (or two) would suffice as my theological library.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 6:29 AM

You can back up your entire Logos files onto an external hard drive (which it sounds like you have already done).  From there you can completely reinstall Logos and work completely offline. 

The problem is that when you reinstall Logos, you are required to log into your account to verify your license.  Once you do this, you can work completely offline if you want.  This is a relatively "new" step that Faithlife added a couple years ago.  I'm assuming it was done to ensure that multiple users were not using the same account. 

I do not like the idea of having to do this, simply because if I have to reinstall Logos and if Faithlife or Internet access is not available then my library is unusable.  

I do not know much about EMP's and such, but what if you had a spare computer with Logos already installed, license verified, offline in an EMP protective case?  I'm assuming electronics that were protected would work after the EMP ended and keeping your computer offline would protect you from a computer hack.

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 6:32 AM

Mike Binks:
a Bible (or two) would suffice as my theological library.

You are of course assuming that people would still have the Bible in hardcopy.  Big Smile  I'm making a joke here, but I am amazed at how many people use their phones or tablets in church.  I am seeing less and less "real" bibles.

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 8:51 AM

Ronald Quick:
I am seeing less and less "real" bibles

And nowhere, as far as I am aware, can we find in the Bible a physical description of a Bible.

Do you think a pertinent detail was overlooked?  ;-)

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 9:05 AM

I guess my traditional and old fashioned tendencies are a bit obvious.  Smile

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 9:10 AM

I can remember sitting in youth group and learning where to find bible verses by the youth leader calling out a verse and the kids "racing" to see who could find it in their bible first. 

Posts 30476
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 10:43 AM

I can’t believe how many people have given up the traditional scrolls. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 11:10 AM

JT (alabama24):

I can’t believe how many people have given up the traditional scrolls. 

You don't say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQHX-SjgQvQ

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 2675
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 11 2021 11:20 AM

Ronald Quick:

I can remember sitting in youth group and learning where to find bible verses by the youth leader calling out a verse and the kids "racing" to see who could find it in their bible first. 

Practice is still alive in some places! Last night our youth group had a competitive scavenger hunt. When the 2 teams tied, the winner was declared by the team whose member was the first to find and read Nehemiah 2:5. Big Smile

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 782
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2021 11:07 AM

Ronald Quick:

I guess my traditional and old fashioned tendencies are a bit obvious.  Smile

When our grandson moved in with my wife and I several years ago, he asked if we had a dictionary available. He was going to attend a local college within walking distance.

I was very surprised that he was not using an online or digital copy.  I walked over to my bookshelf and handed him an old copy of a Mirriam-Webster.  Then I asked him to look up "anachronism", which was a new word to him.  He laughed as he read the definition.

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 12 2021 4:28 PM

I backup all my Logos resources each week as well as do a rotating "system image" of my laptop each week. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27853
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 12:29 PM

Bruce Dunning:

I backup all my Logos resources each week as well as do a rotating "system image" of my laptop each week. I would rather be safe than sorry.

Pretty much my strategy. I've only had to restore a laptop once when the system partition mysteriously got wiped. And I had just completed a backup on a sick computer before it finally failed.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 1:09 PM

Ronald Quick:

Mike Binks:
a Bible (or two) would suffice as my theological library.

You are of course assuming that people would still have the Bible in hardcopy.  Big Smile  I'm making a joke here, but I am amazed at how many people use their phones or tablets in church.  I am seeing less and less "real" bibles.

I have about 14 hard copy Bibles left over from when some people that I studied, with back in the hard copy days, liked to compare versions.

After an EMP pulse I would be more then willing to share.  The 'simple' gospel is found in all of them.  Its some of the details that those that want to go off the deep edge where they differ.  But after that EMP pulse all we will want to share will be just that 'simple' gospel. The END will be near and we will not have the energy or time to teach anything except the 'simple' gospel. ['simple' gospel defined as: Love GOD and turn from our evil ways]

And as for computer backups: Place a backup with a friend twenty miles from you in a direction that an event can not take out your house and theirs in the same event.  [for example: Don't have both houses in the same flood zone or forest fire area]

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 11:28 PM

David Ames:
Don't have both houses in the same flood zone or forest fire area

and not within 2m of sea level.  :-(

tootle pip

Mike

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 9:51 AM

This discussion reminds me of the old Twilight Zone episode about a bookworm who worked a bank.  He was reading during lunch when an atomic bomb destroyed everything, but he survived because he was in the bank vault?  He wasn't too upset until his glasses broke and he couldn't see to read. 

Posts 716
Gordon Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 10:01 AM

Ronald Quick:

the old Twilight Zone episode about a bookworm

Burgess Meredith in season one, episode eight "Time Enough At Last"

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 10:32 AM

Dave Hooton:

Bruce Dunning:

Pretty much my strategy. I've only had to restore a laptop once when the system partition mysteriously got wiped. And I had just completed a backup on a sick computer before it finally failed.

The reason I do this is that I always think of my laptop like a time-bomb waiting to blow up. You just don't know when it is going to happen. This is especially the case with a SSD that could stop working without any warning signs.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 12:26 PM

I do keep a backup of Logos and other files on an external hard drive that I update periodically.  However, I've never done a "system image" and don't know much it.  How is this better than backing up files on an external hard drive?

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 14 2021 12:26 PM

Gordon Jones:
Burgess Meredith in season one, episode eight "Time Enough At Last"

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS