A Much Missed Feature of the Sermon Editor

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 2729
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 10:31 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
Well, there's currently a 50/50 split in the survey. Anyone one to break the tie? :)

My vote is RETURN creates a Scripture Block, TAB inserts the Scripture inline and SPACEBAR makes the reference a link to my favorite translation if clicked, but still shows it as a reference in the Sermon Doc.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 373
Pastor Michael Huffman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 10:39 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

For Enter there are two options:

1. Insert another list item (current behavior).
  2. Insert a Scripture block between list items.

To me the answer is that when you hit the enter button, it puts in the Scripture reference as it is formatted in your favorite Bible. The behavior before 9.9 was that the software recognized the fact that you were typing in a Scripture reference and then put that reference in the document; and that is the practice now as long as you are not in a bullet list. But if you are in a bullet status post 9.9 will just got to the next bullet list and not put in the verse. 

But for those who do not want that, there can be an option in the settings (or the three vertical dots on the sermon editor page) to turn that feature off. For the feature to even exist, someone at Logos must have thought that was a good feature, and then for it to just disappear was sort of frustrated and I do not feel like everyone's voice was heard. I appreciate Logos doing it now, though. 

Posts 2595
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 11:54 AM

I do not know the number of people who use Logos, but it must be challenging to design a program that tries to meet most users needs.

I also do think I have ever seen a company listen to its users to the extent that Faithlife does and change their program based on the responses they receive.    

Posts 57
Pastor Luke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 1:46 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

When set to Yes (the default?), Enter and Tab would work as they do outside of lists (i.e., they'd insert Scripture below or inline). Esc could be an override key to temporarily dismiss the helpers (and the functionality) and allow you to use Enter and Tab for their more typical uses on occasion.

When set to No, Enter and Tab would work as they normally do in lists, and perhaps Shift + Enter and Shift (?) + Tab could still insert Scripture below and inline.

How would that suit you?

I would be 100% satisfied. I wish you could make it work this way in Notes too. I would also like to thank you for your response to the issue. 

Posts 3262
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 13 2021 2:02 PM

Pastor Luke:
I would be 100% satisfied.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear it.

Pastor Luke:
I wish you could make it work this way in Notes too.

Very much agree. I take notes on sermons in Sermon Builder because it's a much richer editing experience thanks to its support for Scripture insertion, headings, and content-specific metadata.

Posts 10
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 17 2021 5:34 AM

Yes, the ability to insert biblical references should be a setting or a separate key stroke (shift+enter/shift+tab). To just remove the feature was a bad call and has taken hours out of this weeks sermon prep to try to resolve. 

Posts 10
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 17 2021 5:44 AM

Hey Austin thank you for hearing the feedback!

to answer your question: when writing, i used a mix of inline and block quote so to only have the inline option going forward would be a loss.

also, prior to 9.9 if I did not want to insert the actual verses I would just end that line with a period (“.”) which would interrupt the reference and then I was free to hit enter without inserting the text. This was fine for me. and I cannot imagine that is an insufficient solution for many people who do not want to insert the reference …

I would like to reinforce the idea that these should be OPTIONS in the settings. Please do not try to find a “middle ground” when you could just as easily allow all options based on how the preacher wants it. Leave it to the user. 

Posts 10
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 17 2021 5:51 AM

Yes, please do not force mouse use. All on the keyboard is preferable!

Posts 10
Matthew Russell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 17 2021 5:59 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Well, there's currently a 50/50 split in the survey. Anyone one to break the tie? :) I will break that tie! I much preferred the old way, with scripture insertion. 

I suppose we could have a setting "Prefer Scripture insertion helpers in lists."

When set to Yes (the default?), Enter and Tab would work as they do outside of lists (i.e., they'd insert Scripture below or inline). Esc could be an override key to temporarily dismiss the helpers (and the functionality) and allow you to use Enter and Tab for their more typical uses on occasion.

When set to No, Enter and Tab would work as they normally do in lists, and perhaps Shift + Enter and Shift (?) + Tab could still insert Scripture below and inline.

How would that suit you? This, I believe, is the perfect solution that no one should have a problem with. 

Page 2 of 2 (29 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS