SUGGESTION: Agrapha dataset

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 35554
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 14 2021 11:36 PM

Please create a dataset for agrapha - sayings of Jesus outside the canonical Gospels. Data would include: source reference, classification of source (canon, NT apocrypha, Church Fathers ...), type (direct quote, indirect quote, paraphrase . . .). I leave it to your discretion whether to include Muslim and Mandean sources; I'd love it but it might be outside your expertise.

Vote at Agrapha dataset | Faithlife

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1463
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2021 8:55 AM

We have a resource, Greek Apocryphal Gospels, Fragments, and Agrapha, ( https://www.logos.com/product/17854/greek-apocryphal-gospels-fragments-and-agrapha ) that has a collection of agrapha along with a short introduction.

William D. Stoker's Extracanonical Sayings of Jesus (SBL, 1989) is probably the best aggregation of material, but it is not available for Logos.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be a dataset, I'm just trying to point to existing resources that provide this sort of information. 

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 35554
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 15 2021 2:38 PM

Thank you Rick. It was in using your book I felt the need of a dataset for more visibility and searches. Thanks for the reference to Stoker as I was struggling trying to determine which additional books would serve my purposes. Keep your translations coming, please.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS