I spy Logos 6 Legacy Libraries

Page 3 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 98 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2537
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 6:51 AM

I got some nice buys, though mostly smaller ones.  I feel bad now, not wanting to take advantage of a FL goof.  Should I return them or wait to see if they reappear?

Posts 9800
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 6:57 AM

GaoLu:
I feel bad now, not wanting to take advantage of a FL goof.  Should I return them or wait to see if they reappear?

There is no need to return them. If this was a mistake, which it probably was, Faithlife will stand by it. I'm pretty sure we will see them again in the not-too-distant future.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 5089
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 6:57 AM

GaoLu:

I got some nice buys, though mostly smaller ones.  I feel bad now, not wanting to take advantage of a FL goof.  Should I return them or wait to see if they reappear?

I would wait and see. They wouldn't have done all that work for nothing so my guess is that it appeared prematurely. If anything, they'll appear on sale in the future so for those of us who grabbed a few right away, we might have lost on some savings. I only spent $10 on two so I'm not that worried :)

Posts 1540
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 8:56 AM

Faithlife should just go ahead and put the whole store on sale for the holidays. It would probably easier to update the website that way lol. There has to be an "all store sale" switch they can flip or something. Everything 50% off lol.

Posts 1860
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 9:45 AM

Mattillo:

GaoLu:

I would wait and see. They wouldn't have done all that work for nothing so my guess is that it appeared prematurely. If anything, they'll appear on sale in the future so for those of us who grabbed a few right away, we might have lost on some savings. I only spent $10 on two so I'm not that worried :)

I suspect there will be additional savings offered. I guess they need to load legacy libraries with a "standard" price before they can then offer an additional discount. I also suspect someone else was right when they suggested they may have been taken down to prevent loads of refunds -  assuming the anticipated sale happens within 30 days of the legacy libraries being loaded.

Posts 645
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 12:18 AM

Roy:

Have patience... Zip it!

Patience rewarded... Their back!

And they do appear to be selling at a bit lower price as well.

Have fun!

P.S. And the links posted earlier are working again as well as a main sale page here https://www.logos.com/legacy-libraries/6 ...

Posts 1860
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 12:46 AM

Roy:

Roy:

Have patience... Zip it!

Patience rewarded... Their back!

And they do appear to be selling at a bit lower price as well.

Have fun!

P.S. And the links posted earlier are working again as well as a main sale page here https://www.logos.com/legacy-libraries/6 ...

Extra 15% off. Perhaps not enough to buy indiscriminately - assuming the L6 Legacy Libraries will be available for the foreseeable future without the additional 15% - but enough to pick off one or two for now.

Posts 724
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 3:26 AM

I spent $15.00 when the libraries first came available, but waited to see what discount might be applied today. I spent a bit more today, but not much more. 15% off isn't that much off. I bought only what I want this month.

I have a large wishlist of items, and some of them are public domain resources that I can access elsewhere. I am chipping away at my list, little by little. I have the Early Church Fathers set now, but the Catholic Encyclopedia remains stubbornly out of my reach. Some day, some set will include that encyclopedia. I can wait.

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 6:17 AM

Kathleen Marie:
but the Catholic Encyclopedia remains stubbornly out of my reach

I know what you mean. I have used package deals to get many useful PD resources - as well as too many not so useful ones. Years ago there was a PD of The Catholic Encyclopedia that I found somewhere, but was able to get the "real" version by buying Verbum 9 Academic Standard, which was affordable because I had so much of it already.

So far the only Logos 6 legacy library that I picked up today was Verbum 6 - mostly for the Compedium of the Social Teaching of the Church.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 6:31 AM

Logos 6 Legacy Libraries are back. As a somewhat mouthy Lutheran here, I am going to try to say what some of the highlights are of the various levels.

Starter

K-D: a milestone of conservative OT scholarship, cheaper in Lutheran 6 Starter than by itself. It is dated and probably way too technical for the typical “starter” package, so it makes sense that it has moved into more expensive packages as time has gone by.  If you want it and don’t have it, this is the way to get it.

Falsely under “New Testament” is two books on early Church History from the Early Church History Collection by James Stevenson. They are a useful collection of documents from some of the more important debates in the early church.

I find the Loehe “Seed Grains of Prayer” to be a good example of how doctrine shapes prayer.

Eberhard Juengel is generally considered one of the better Lutheran theologians since WW2. His book on Justification came out of the debates leading up to the Joint Declaration. It has been a while since I have read it, but IIRC, he argues that we need more clarity on what all the parties mean by Justification before we can issue something like the Joint Declaration. And with how the Joint Declaration had a rocky trip through the Vatican, and was arguably rescued by the Annex to the Common Statement, he was probably right. That said, I found much of his attempt at clarification to be, well, not that clear.

When I went to school, probably the two most respected books on Luther’s Theology were those of Althaus and Lohse. Both are included. In addition, the Book of Concord is included in two very good translations. And Schmid’s Doctrinal Theology is a standard collection of Lutheran Orthodoxy.

Just about anything Heiko Oberman writes on the Reformation is worth reading – and a book of his is included.

Bronze

H.C. Leupold’s Commentaries are added. They are significantly less technical than K-D, and so much more readable. I find them more useful for theology than for technical issues. Again, this is the cheapest place to get these works if you want them.

The Spicq Theological Lexicon of the New Testament and Jenni/Westermann Theological Lexicon of the Old Testtament are some of the better works of that type out there, and are included in a few Logos 6 Bronze packages, including the Lutheran one.

Wolfhart Pannenberg is another of the giants of 20th century theology, and his three volume Systematic Theology is included.

In addition a few other historical sets have been included, including Dr. Jordan Cooper’s favorite, Weidner. I have not yet worked my way through these books.

The “standard” collection of Early Church Fathers is included, and this is one of the cheaper ways to pick it up. Even if I prefer other translations, this is a cheap way to pick up a lot of patristic writing.

I have read and love Gerberding’s Way of Salvation in the Lutheran Church – and very much hope that more people will read it. In addition, the works included under 19th Century Theology were all important in their time and these works still echo to today, even if there are only a few circles where they are cited that directly.

Higher Packages

Silver adds most of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s works, but not the Index volume and is probably the cheapest way to pick these up.

Gold adds Continental Commentary and the UBS Handbooks.

In my opinion, Bronze is the best deal. Starter isn't bad at all, and I went Silver back in the day for Bonhoeffer.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

Posts 2086
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 7:05 AM

Thanks, Ken. Helpful and valuable.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta [Dark Mode most of the time]) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 9800
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 7:07 AM

Ken McGuire:
As a somewhat mouthy Lutheran

That made me smile Ken. Smile

I always appreciate hearing your perspective.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 7:20 AM

Having done an overview of the Logos 6 Lutheran packages, I will add some briefer notes on other packages.

Logos 6 Anglican Starter

In my opinion an amazing deal since it includes the NT Wright NT for Everyone as well as some useful dictionaries/encyclopedias, and JND Kelly.

Logos 6 Anglican Bronze

If you want NT Wright’s Christian Origins series, this is a great way to get it, and it includes EDNT, TDNT-A, TLOT, and some good classical works too.

Logos 6 Anglican Silver

Adds Black’s NT Commentaries, as well as Jeremy Taylor and Polkinghorne

Back in the day, I thought that Starter was the most impressive of the Starter packages because the NT Wright set was aimed at starters, was up to date, and so also was not PD fluff like I saw in too many Starter packages.

I stopped at Bronze then, but Silver looks quite appealing to me.  

Posts 236
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 8:54 AM

Ken McGuire:

...I am going to try to say what some of the highlights are of the various levels.

Thanks, Ken. Very helpful! Please, do share your highlights - also other people, and from other denominational packages.

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 9:11 AM

Verbum 6 Starter

Catholic edition of ECF, Aquinas Summa, Youcat, and some official church documents. The odd thing is that it appears that CCC itself is not included.

Verbum 6 Bronze

All the encyclicals of John Paul II and Benedict XVI, the New Roman Missal in English, Compendium of the Social Teaching of the Church, some significant theological works of Benedict XVI, Living the CCC, and a few more historically important works. Again, it appears that CCC itself is not included. Must be a rights thing since there were odd rights issues with where different English editions could be sold. Since I have it in two Logos editions from later packages, I don't care, but it is odd.

I didn't get any of them back then, but went to Bronze today - largely for the Compendium on Social Teaching, since I have found Catholic Social teaching interesting, but it is hard for an outsider to really piece the parts together as it has evolved...

Posts 724
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 9:27 AM

Ken McGuire:

Kathleen Marie:
but the Catholic Encyclopedia remains stubbornly out of my reach

I know what you mean. I have used package deals to get many useful PD resources - as well as too many not so useful ones. Years ago there was a PD of The Catholic Encyclopedia that I found somewhere, but was able to get the "real" version by buying Verbum 9 Academic Standard, which was affordable because I had so much of it already.

So far the only Logos 6 legacy library that I picked up today was Verbum 6 - mostly for the Compedium of the Social Teaching of the Church.

This package has several of my top wishlist items, but it is still too much for me fit into my budget. I just remain in trust that I will have what I need when I need it, and use what I can afford now with curiosity to where that will lead me.

Deprivation and trials make me as curious as they make me afraid. The worse things get, the more interesting my experiences, and the more surprising and unique my papers. Things work out in ways that I could never have imagined.

Posts 9800
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 11:19 AM

Ken McGuire:
Silver adds most of Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s works, but not the Index volume and is probably the cheapest way to pick these up.

After sorting through all the L6 Legacy packages this is the one I'm most excited about. I've wanted to get Bonhoeffer's woks for years but it was always too much money. But with dynamic pricing my price is only $42 for Lutheran Silver. My dynamic price just to complete Bonhoeffer is $312 apart from the L6 Legacy package and the the Silver package also includes 36 additional resources including 2 volumes of the History of Biblical Interpretation which retail for over $100.

In summary this is an amazing deal and one worth considering, especially if you appreciate the works of Bonhoeffer.

Posts 1924
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 12:24 PM

Bruce Dunning:
I've wanted to get Bonhoeffer's woks for years but it was always too much money. But with dynamic pricing my price is only $42 for Lutheran Silver.

It is also in Lutheran Silver 7 with the index volume, so look at prices after you get 6 with the sale price. It might not be too much more. On the other hand, when Logos went from 6 to 7, they replaced a lot of the old PD material with things from Augsburg-Fortress and a few other publishers, so the deal might not be as good as you hope. But yeah, if you are into Bonhoeffer, get one of those Lutheran Silver packages....

Posts 724
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 1:03 PM

Ken McGuire:

Verbum 6 Starter

The odd thing is that it appears that CCC itself is not included.

Verbum 6 Bronze

Again, it appears that CCC itself is not included.

The free Verbum includes some things that are not included in free Logos. Is the CCC in the free Verbum?

Posts 724
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 26 2021 1:09 PM

The SDA Bronze has some beginner Greek textbooks and some preaching and teaching books that some people might not own, yet.

https://www.logos.com/product/217252/logos-6-sda-bronze-legacy-library

There are a ton of $0.17 resources that look like they would clog up my library, unless I hid them.

Page 3 of 5 (99 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS