What Should We Do with Faithlife Assistant?

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3260
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 17 2021 10:21 PM

Take the survey and help us decide what to do with Faithlife Assistant.

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 7:56 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):
help us decide what to do with Faithlife Assistant

It would be unfair of me to take  this survey because I have NEVER used that part of the software.

But THANK YOU for asking!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3260
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 10:27 AM

Thanks, Steve. You're welcome to use it and then take the survey. Some parts of the survey are still relevant even if you haven't used it. You can skip any questions that don't apply. Thanks!

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 10:38 AM

Just took the survey. Hope it helps.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 12:45 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Thanks, Steve. You're welcome to use it and then take the survey. Some parts of the survey are still relevant even if you haven't used it. You can skip any questions that don't apply. Thanks!

Maybe you could give us a hint as to what it is / does so that we do not just answer the relevant parts?

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 1:13 PM

David Ames:
Maybe you could give us a hint as to what it is / does so that we do not just answer the relevant parts?

It answers questions - voice or typed. It could:

• voice control the app
  • provide descriptions/definitions of what is shown
  • provide sample layout for label searches
  • answer Bible questions
  • look up people, places, and things for a short definition . . .
  • think Siri or Alexa for Logos/Verbum

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3883
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 2:11 PM

MJ. Smith:
think Siri or Alexa for Logos/Verbum

But it's not quite there yet.

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3260
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 18 2021 5:11 PM

Floyd Johnson:
But it's not quite there yet.

Yes. It's more like a prototype than a fully functioning feature right now. If you know how to use it, it works pretty well. But there are plenty of places where you hit a brick wall.

David Ames:

Here are some things to try to get a feel for how it works:

• Open the RSV to Luke 22.
  • Read aloud John 1.
  • What's the Greek word for wind?
  • What is the Hebrew word for loyalty?
  • Show me a map of Ephesus.
  • Show me verses on parenting.
  • Show me all the verbs in Ephesians.
  • Show me verses where Satan speaks to Jesus.
  • What is monophysitism?
  • What's the definition of propitiation?
  • How do you pronounce propitiation? (not fully hooked up)
  • Who was Mephibosheth?
  • Who were the 12 tribes?
  • Who was Martin Bucer?
  • What was Urim and Thummim?
  • Tell me about Ecclesiastes.
  • Where was AI?
  • Compare John 3:16 in multiple versions.
  • Run a Passage Guide on John 1.
  • Open BDAG.
  • Show me today's lectionary reading.
  • Copy Galatians 2:1–10 in the CSB.
  • Tell me a story.
  • What is the first beatitude?
  • What is the fifth commandment?
  • What's the date?
  • When does my next Pre-Pub ship?
  • What day of the week is Christmas this year?
  • Are there any updates available?

BTW, when the focus moves away from Faithlife Assistant, you can jump it back by using Ctrl + Tab (on Windows and Mac).

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2021 10:55 AM

Hmmm.  Impressive. Never tried most of those.  

I should retake the survey...

I do think the search field should be at the top and not hidden at the bottom.

Posts 3260
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 19 2021 12:14 PM

GaoLu:
Hmmm.  Impressive. Never tried most of those.

There's a longer list here: https://wiki.logos.com/Faithlife_Assistant_Commands.

Posts 8949
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 7:56 AM

Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t seen a button or anything in the home page that has this “feature” visible and ready for you to ask questions. Maybe many of us have not used it because we don’t even know it’s there.  Or maybe it’s because I have my settings set to Spanish since I teach in Spanish most of the time; so I don’t know if the feature is hidden because it’s not available in Spanish.

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 9:17 AM

A serious and heart-felt plea, Phil. Don't kill Faithlife Assistant regardless of the results of the survey. There is one task that it is uniquely equiped to fulfill regardless of whether any other functions are retained. In the forums, there are questions about what data is e.g. "syntactic force", why something is/is not coded as a parable, what the attributes for a label are/mean ... Currently, to get the answer we must:

• open the library to see if the documentation is in a Glossary, a Manual, a resource in the series Faithlife Biblical and Theological Lists, a monograph (e.g. AFAT documentation), embedded in an interactive, embedded in Help (as some labels) -- it takes lots of time to know where to find the documentation and multiple steps to open it.
  • in the appropriate resource navigate to the appropriate location for definitions -- for some sources this is simple, for others it is not.
  • within the definitions, navigate to the correct entry and read it
  • now close the resource or tool from which you got the definition; close the library and you are back to your standard workspace

Compare that to the following workflow:

• Open Faithlife Assistant if it is not already open.
  • Ask the assistant for a definition e.g. "syntactic force"
  • Read the answer and continue working

Please ... this would encourage people to actually learn what the data means which improves the questions they ask of the text, improves the quality of their interpretation, and encourages them to learn more tools because they will know what they are looking at (or be able to find out quickly). So please, don't kill Faithlife Assistant. Make it more useful -- even if for this limited function.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 25777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 9:22 AM

MJ. Smith:

Compare that to the following workflow:

• Open Faithlife Assistant if it is not already open.
  • Ask the assistant for a definition e.g. "syntactic force"

I see what you are saying MJ but I can't work out how to make the Assistant answer this question.

Am I missing something or were you asking for this type of increased functionality?

Posts 25777
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 9:23 AM

DAL:
Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t seen a button or anything in the home page that has this “feature” visible and ready for you to ask questions.

There isn't a button for it - it is a Tool in the Tools Menu

Posts 711
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 9:28 AM

I am losing my eyesight and I am investing time and money into multiple types of AI in hopes that technology will stay ahead of my sight loss.

I have heard of Faithlife Assistant, and poked around, and at some point got distracted before I found anything useful to me.

I need training. The people that use AI most have a REASON to use it beyond thinking of it is a toy, and that very same reason can make LEARNING how to use it more difficult. Please train us to use it before thinking about giving up on it!

I am a heavy user of Alexa, Bixby, and Google in that order. I have used Cortana and Portal, but have not found them that useful, and maybe that is just because I have not been trained enough. I don't have any Apple products, so don't have the option to use Siri. Right now, I have more sight that money, and as that changes, I will probably be forced to invest in Apple products.

Projects like this can be a drain on developer resources. The software that works the best has often been triaged and stripped of the bells and whistles. It does what it does well, and that is all it does.

If Faithlife offers an assistant and trains me to use it and it does something useful for the vision impaired, I assume that I will become more and more dependent on it and on Faithlife products.

May the Lord guide you in this important decision.

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 10:00 AM

Graham Criddle:
were you asking for this type of increased functionality?

Yes, it would be new ... it is also something I would have done very early on had I been the analyst. The current commands are nice for hands off use but aren't truly value added commands.

Posts 1183
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 10:18 AM

MJ. Smith:

A serious and heart-felt plea, Phil. Don't kill Faithlife Assistant regardless of the results of the survey.

I say kill it ... FL Marketing. Take Bob's book, forget 'compassion', etc and the Christian'y stuff (that's for church, not business).

For a multimillion dollar investment, that has literally Eternity (yes, upper-case) in its sites (location), how can it be more badly marketed?  Then, surveys mean kill-it in Logosian. Well, ok!

What really bugs me (beyond average insects), is the huge amount of personal talent that goes into the product, and yawns in Marketing. OK, yes, Accordance Marketing is worse, but they don't have bragging rights to Logos.

Posts 8949
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 10:35 AM

Graham Criddle:

DAL:
Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t seen a button or anything in the home page that has this “feature” visible and ready for you to ask questions.

There isn't a button for it - it is a Tool in the Tools Menu

So it’s hidden. I haven’t really used it but I’m willing to try it a couple of days before I take the survey.

DAL

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 3:49 PM

Faithlife Assistant is a conversational AI bot that allows you to perform many tasks in Logos using natural language.

Note: Faithlife Assistant requires an active internet connection, and is currently available with a Faithlife Connect subscription.

From somewhere on the FL site but Google did not tell me where Google found this. 

Posts 2072
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 20 2021 5:36 PM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

• Who was Mephibosheth?
  • What was Urim and Thummim?

Only if it understands country-boy better than Alexa.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Page 1 of 3 (44 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS