What Should We Do with Faithlife Assistant?

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 43 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 1:50 AM

That’s the big problem with uptake of this tool - it’s buried in the Tools menu rather than being visible on the Toolbar. To me if FL truly backed this feature they would have put it on the toolbar and not hidden it in the Toole menu. It’s has the potential to be so much more than a ‘Tool’.

DAL:

Graham Criddle:

DAL:
Maybe it’s just me, but I haven’t seen a button or anything in the home page that has this “feature” visible and ready for you to ask questions.

There isn't a button for it - it is a Tool in the Tools Menu

So it’s hidden. I haven’t really used it but I’m willing to try it a couple of days before I take the survey.

DAL

Posts 125
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 6:52 AM

DIsciple II:
That’s the big problem with uptake of this tool - it’s buried in the Tools menu rather than being visible on the Toolbar. To me if FL truly backed this feature they would have put it on the toolbar and not hidden it in the Toole menu. It’s has the potential to be so much more than a ‘Tool’.

You can drag it to the toolbar---once you're aware of its existence and where to find it, but you knew that already.

If Faithlife put it on the toolbar there would be an uproar from some who value that space for their own priority items Big Smile

Posts 125
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 7:06 AM

I agree that Faithlife Assistant would be a value added tool IF fully developed, however, Faithlife doesn't have a consistent track record in this area. I am concerned about,

• Once committed to the task of said development, what other more frequently used existing tools or features that need completion or updating,etc. will suffer because Faithlife simply doesn't have enough resources to do all in a timely and efficient manner,
  • These are great tools and features still unfinished,
    • Notes tool (I could elaborate if needed)
    • Factbook, this was a skeleton when released and still a work in progress
    • Search tool, needs more development to improve ease of use for commoners like me
    • Sermon Builder, in progress
  • In addition to tools, features and the like there are these examples that are ongoing,
    • ongoing bug fixes
    • updating links in resources and other resource errors
    • consider the slowdown of releasing prepub products already in the system and still languishing because of (assumption) Faithlife acquiring Wordsearch, not that the acquisition was a bad thing, my point is that it has an effect on things already in the pipeline. 
  • I voted yes for this tool in the survey, but I first want Faithlife to prioritize,
    • Bug fixes
    • Fully develop the tools, guides, etc. they currently offer (close to a survey time for this)
    • Focus new development on ease of use of all the tools and features that are currently widely used
Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:28 AM

I am a "print disabled student" which is a combination of "print disabled" and "student" that gives me special access to resources that the general public has no access or must pay to access.This category of people is growing and accustomed to using technology to help them interact with text. This group of students is reaching higher levels of education than in previous generations, so I assume more disabled students will be looking to buy Logos than ever before.

The Baby Boomers are aging and some are being classified as "print disabled". They are granted access to some of the resources developed for the younger "print disabled students" if they pay for that access.

One resource of note is Bookshare. The ebooks can be downloaded and converted to personal books to be used in Logos.

https://www.bookshare.org/cms/bookshare-me

A streamlined process for disabled students to download Bookshare books into Logos and have the AI read the books aloud to the student would be very welcome. The Bookshare library is very large and overlaps with the Logos library. If the process is easy enough, there might be some students that buy fewer books from Logos, even though as personal books, they are missing some of the integration feature of Logos books. This might not be something Logos would want to purse. Or it might be. The publicity and the promise of Logos books being better might mean they profit far more than lose sales.

As a print disabled student, it would be a dream come true to have Bookshare and Logos more integrated, and supported by the Faithlife AI, but if that intergration made Logos developers stretched too thin and Logos/Verbum as a whole suffered, that would not be in my best interest or anyone else's.

The advances in technology are exciting, BUT there are so many unfinished projects in the software I use, and the learning curve to learn all this technology is impossible to manage alongside my regular studies. More is expected of me because of all these new resources, but the reality is that sometimes I still cannot keep up with students with better sight.

May the Lord guide Faithlife in how to move forward in the future. Theory is not reality. All that is exciting is not always useful. Sometimes less is more. The Gospel message is often about keeping it simple.

Posts 8909
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:35 AM

Bill:

DIsciple II:

You can drag it to the toolbar---once you're aware of its existence and where to find it, but you knew that already.

If Faithlife put it on the toolbar there would be an uproar from some who value that space for their own priority items Big Smile

There’s a big Logos logo on the left top corner of the program. Maybe they can make that a hyperlink to Faithlife assistant instead of just taking up space there 👍😁👌

Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:45 AM

DAL:

There’s a big Logos logo on the left top corner of the program. Maybe they can make that a hyperlink to Faithlife assistant instead of just taking up space there 👍😁👌

YES!!!

Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:50 AM

Are there Faithlife AI settings? Can I choose a custom voice? Do I have to click the microphone to speak, or is there a wake word or name?

If this feature is going to be supported, can we have a subforum for it?

Posts 6004
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 12:18 PM

Yes one can drag it onto the user short-cut bar but users have to know it’s there, it should be on the tioolbar by default. It’s something FL should want users to know about, the store was  available in multiple places in the software yet they still put it in a prominent place on the toolbar until the got a user backlash. If they truly backed FL Assistant and wanted users to embrace it they should have it on the toolbar next to the command box. FL Assistant has the potential to provide Logos a  point of difference to competitors but they did not fully back, promote it, and get excited about it when they first launched it. 

p.s. Users get upset when FL marketing intrudes on their Bible study, their marketing intrudes in enough other ways and not when FL provides useful features that assist in making the software more useable - useability has been a big bug bear for a vocal group of users and FL missed part of the answer when they buried FL Assistant in a tools menu and failed to give it a bit more post release development. 

Bill:

DIsciple II:

Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 1:05 PM

How to change the default voice

https://community.logos.com/forums/t/186484.aspx

Posts 2070
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 6:12 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Do I have to click the microphone to speak, or is there a wake word or name?

Hi Kathleen Marie:

As far as i know, (and my use has been limited), you do have to click the mic prior to each voice command, i.e., there's no wake word. If that remains so, FA's use will be quite limited as an accessibility tool. As I have a vision impairment, Alexa devices are very useful to me; she has a very good reading voice for the many eligible Kindle books I own, in addition to her other functions. Her ubiquity in my house (five Dots) is a key to her utility. If Faithlife Assistant could be on standby on my office desktop or my kitchen notebook for impromptu verbal commands, it would be much more useful.

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 35526
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 6:24 PM

Robert M. Warren:
If Faithlife Assistant could be on standby on my office desktop or my kitchen notebook for impromptu verbal commands, it would be much more use

Good point worth a formal suggestion.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 7:33 PM

Robert M. Warren:

Kathleen Marie:
Do I have to click the microphone to speak, or is there a wake word or name?

Hi Kathleen Marie:

As far as i know, (and my use has been limited), you do have to click the mic prior to each voice command, i.e., there's no wake word. If that remains so, FA's use will be quite limited as an accessibility tool. As I have a vision impairment, Alexa devices are very useful to me; she has a very good reading voice for the many eligible Kindle books I own, in addition to her other functions. Her ubiquity in my house (five Dots) is a key to her utility. If Faithlife Assistant could be on standby on my office desktop or my kitchen notebook for impromptu verbal commands, it would be much more useful.

Thank you! I am so glad to be able to talk with another vision impaired user of Logos/Verbum.

I have been playing around with the Faithlife AI a bit today and having all sorts of problems. It is spitting back nonsense to the phraseology that I have become accustomed to using with other AI. Maybe I just don't know how to talk to it.

And the voice keeps switching back to David, even though other Bible software that reads text is using the voice that I programmed Window to use. If I reprogram Windows, Verbum uses the voice until my laptop goes to sleep and then reverts back to the default David.

I love Alexa. It takes a lot for me to be willing to give up my privacy, but illness, disability, and age make us dependent on people with agendas that are sometimes at odds with out own, and we need to submit if we want the help.

Wake words are controversial for those with normal vision. For those of us that need assistance to see the icons to click on them, wake-up words are a necessity. The only wake word that works on my phone is Bixby, so I use Bixby as my default AI, when I would prefer Alexa or Google.

Posts 2253
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:15 PM

I would prefer to see Factbook or passage guide more fully developed.  Perhaps a voice command can start a factbook check or passage guide.

Posts 35526
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 11:06 PM

Mark:

I would prefer to see Factbook or passage guide more fully developed.  Perhaps a voice command can start a factbook check or passage guide.

To some extent it already does this ... at least I get several items to bring up Factbook

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2253
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 4:55 AM

MJ. Smith:

Mark:

To some extent it already does this ... at least I get several items to bring up Factbook

If FA heads in this direction, I can see use for it in the future.  If FA is just going to be another Alexa or Siri, then I dont care too much for it.  If FA allows me to open an audio file on an android phone while I am driving, then there is a place for it.

I am not against FA. But I would prefer to see many other features such as factbook and passage guide to be developed more.

Posts 2070
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 5:06 AM

Kathleen Marie:
It takes a lot for me to be willing to give up my privacy, but illness, disability, and age make us dependent on people with agendas that are sometimes at odds with out own, and we need to submit if we want the help.

I, too, share that concern. However, I think of it less as submitting, and more of a trade-off judgment:  The highly beneficial use of the devices versus the possible political use of the tedium and ennui of household conversation.  Smile

Windows 10 (L9 Beta) | Android 9 (phone - L9 Beta) | Fire OS 7 (tablet - L9 Stable)

There are four lights

Posts 1632
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 5:43 AM

My suggestion to Faithlife:

Move Faithlife Assistant into the existing Command Box (GO box? Omnibox?). Everything that can be typed into FA (in quasi-"natural" language) should be accepted by the Command Box. And everything that's currently accepted by the Command Box should be (or is already?) accepted by FA by voice.

No extra button needed. FA doesn't need to be (and shouldn't be) a separate "tool". It should be continuously improved and made smarter and smarter.

It should have a "wake word" like Siri and Alexa ("Hey Logos" or "Hey Verbum"... please, not "Hey Faithlife"... too hard to pronounce for some of us).

My two cents.

Posts 323
MWW | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 7:02 AM

I would like and use FaithLife assistant, if it could be summoned from outside of the Logos program like “Hey Siri” or “Ok Google” can. For instance, if I am working in Word and could say “Hey Faithlife, copy Ephesians 2:1–8 from the NIV“ and it would just put it on the clipboard. Or, “Hey Faithlife, read Matthew 16:18 from The Bible Knowledge Commentary”. Or, “Hey Faithlife, read today’s devotional on my iPhone”. Or, “Hey Faithlife, open my Bible to Romans chapter 4”. Then Faithlife assistant would be genuinely useful.

Posts 695
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 8:16 AM

Robert M. Warren:

Kathleen Marie:
It takes a lot for me to be willing to give up my privacy, but illness, disability, and age make us dependent on people with agendas that are sometimes at odds with out own, and we need to submit if we want the help.

I, too, share that concern. However, I think of it less as submitting, and more of a trade-off judgment:  The highly beneficial use of the devices versus the possible political use of the tedium and ennui of household conversation.  Smile

Sometimes the biggest threat is who else might gain access to the information. It is so much easier to hack into an account than defend an account. Household conversation holds most of the information that must otherwise be gained from direct "social engineering" attacks.

Sometimes this is more of a concern that other times. In my past, my phone account was accessed and used by someone in an attempt to harm me, and there was so much less information in that account. God is bigger than the bullies, and I just have to keep my trust in Him.

Posts 1154
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 9:05 AM

Well, if people don't use the assistant, because they can't 'hey' it, then for sure have an option to turn it off. Quiet Pochi, quiet! Not the everything search!!

Personally, I'd fix the tread-marks from 2008 ... so many to choose from. Maybe take a tread-mark survey.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS