Baylor Handbooks on Hebrew and Greek on PrePub - Highly Recommended!

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 25 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3536
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2021 6:54 AM

DAL:

I prefer the EGGNT series since it gives you homiletical hints at the end of every section. Very helpful for sermon prep.

I'll admit that EGGNT follows a useful formula myself owning all of the available resources offered in the series. The trouble with the series is that being more contemporary than Baylor the books covered are incomplete and Hebrew is not covered at all.

If you are a beginner in the language (that is Greek) EGGNT is a better buy especially if you have to choose between the two series. I own both and I'm happy with both these resources. I encourage you all to get in with the prepub price for Baylor I doubt you will see them cheaper anytime soon.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.6 1TB SSD 

Posts 110
John W | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 2 2021 8:25 AM

If you have the UBS handbooks; Technical commentaries and Exegetical summaries in your library wouldn't they bring out vital and important points too that both these series would? I want to be careful I don't build needless redundancy in my library.

Posts 410
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2021 11:55 PM

This series provides most of what others do not. Look at the samples above. Most series do not tell you which dative or how the infinitive is functioning.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 410
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 13 2021 9:22 PM

Anyone else keen for these sets?

Director

Singapore

Posts 410
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 12:39 AM

Bump

Director

Singapore

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 4:09 AM

Vincent Chia:

Just a sample:

James 1:20 ὀργὴ γὰρ ἀνδρὸς δικαιοσύνην θεοῦ οὐκ ἐργάζεται.

ὀργὴ. Nominative subject of ἐργάζεται.
γὰρ. Continuity with additional support for the main argument.
ἀνδρὸς. Attributive genitive (“human wrath”).
δικαιοσύνην. Accusative direct object of ἐργάζεται.
θεοῦ. The expression δικαιοσύνη θεοῦ has generated a voluminous literature of its own (McKnight calls it “a New Testament quagmire,” 139; the terms “subjective genitive” and “objective genitive” are, moreover, often deployed in inconsistent and confusing ways in this controversy). Here the simplest alternative takes this as an attributive genitive, expressing the truism that human activity does not bring about the justice characteristic of God. One cannot rule out any of several alternatives, though. Hartin (96) suggests that δικαιοσύνην θεοῦ be read as an objective genitive, referring to that righteousness which God demands of humanity. It might, however, refer to the justification God imparts, or imputes, to humanity independent of human worthiness (a subjective genitive: “God justifies,” or a genitive of source or origin: “righteousness that comes from God”); or it might refer to what Ernst Käsemann described as “God’s saving activity” (1969, 172), without a specific grammatical designation—indeed, he explicitly repudiates the idea of identifying a specific syntactic force in his commentary (1980, 28).
ἐργάζεται. Pres mid ind 3rd sg ἐργάζομαι.

A. K. M. Adam, James: A Handbook on the Greek Text, ed. Martin M. Culy, Baylor Handbook on the Greek New Testament (Waco, TX: Baylor University Press, 2013), 24.

UBS Handbook sample (for comparison) along with Lexham Greek Syntactic Force search:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (26 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS