Process for writing

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 573
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 21 2021 8:27 AM

1. How does everyone organize their Logos windows and panels when doing research?

2. Does anyone use Logos' notes program to organize your information?

Posts 34424
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 2:18 PM

1. My layouts are different depending upon the type of research I am doing -- they vary wildly.

2. Yes, I do use notes both to collect information and to note the status of various steps.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 573
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 4:57 AM

MJ. Smith:

1. My layouts are different depending upon the type of research I am doing -- they vary wildly.

2. Yes, I do use notes both to collect information and to note the status of various steps.

1. Can you show me your layout for biblical research on the Gospel of John

2. How can I use notes to do research?

Posts 34424
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 12:04 PM

Christian Alexander:
1. Can you show me your layout for biblical research on the Gospel of John

I don't woek like that. My layoouts are more like:

• How is the Gospel of John used in worhsip?
  • Compare the major discourses of John
  • Build the narrative line of John based on the semantic frames
  • What does John teach based on the senses of Scripture
  • How has John been interpreted historical?

Christian Alexander:
2. How can I use notes to do research?

I use them just as I would you physical note cards with icons distinguishing:

• quotations
  • information note
  • question note
  • reference
  • reasoning note --> for or against a point

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 824
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 8:16 PM

Hello Christian. Probably all of us organize our Logos layouts in different ways depending on our study habits and what or goals are in studying. My strategy when I begin a new study is first to identify the resources that I plan to use in my study. One system that I use is to have my preferred Bible, favorites, highlighting tools and other tools in the upper left pane. In the upper right pane I have the resources that I will be using the most. These are most often commentaries though it could also be study bibles or another type of resource. Again it depends on my study goals. In the bottom left I might have encyclopedias and dictionaries and in the bottom right I would have any other resources that I might find helpful - atlases, study guides, handbooks etc. I resize the panes in the lower quadrants by dragging them to the bottom when I am not using them. This gives me maximum space for the resources I am using at the time. I drag the lower panes up when I am working in them. In actual practice often I only have the two upper panes on my layout. This is my strategy when working on my laptop. On my desktop I have two monitors so that allows me much more space. My left monitor is my main monitor where I keep most of my resources. I then use the right monitor for specific tasks - guides, etc.

Begin with the templates in Layouts and adapt them to meet your needs. Once you have done that save it as a named layout. Just remember to update active each time you finish a study session.

I use favorites a great deal to help keep my desktop clean. When I begin a new study such as the book of John I create a folder for the study. In it I place shortcuts to the resources that I think will be helpful. I have folders for Best Commentaries ratings for every book of the Bible so if I am studying a particular book and want to know which ones are rated the top by Best Commentaries I have that information easily at hand and can quickly click on the link to open it on my desktop. I have done something similar with my library searches.

I also have shortcut folders at the top of my desktop. I label them with a letter to conserve space. So instead of labeling them for instance as Atlases I simply use the letter A. In these folders I place shortcuts to my favorite resources. I have folders for Atlases, Commentaries, Encyclopedias, Handbooks, Introductions & Surveys, and Study Bibles. I can then quickly grab a commentary or study bible when I need it.

I think probably all of us use notes to organize our information. The notes feature is probably the most used feature in Logos. There is a lot of flexibility with the notes feature. Morris Proctor at MP Seminars has some great trainings on the Notes features as well as other features in Logos. His subscription cost has been well worth it to me. This blog post might be helpful https://blog.logos.com/5-tips-to-salvage-your-seminary-reading-list/ In it the author quotes Daniel Zacharias. Daniel has a course on Udemy on Reading For Information Extraction which is very helpful.  

I am not by far the most knowledgeable person to help you with this. Even though I have had Logos for a long time I still have so much more to learn. There are some really great people here on the forums. I have received a great deal of help here and I am thankful for everyone. I have also learned a lot from Mobile Ed courses not just about the course subject but also about how to use the software. 

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can help you with anything.

Posts 5660
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 1:40 AM

Christian Alexander:
1. How does everyone organize their Logos windows and panels when doing research?

Some things that I find help a lot.

1. Keep a floating panel on the second monitor for 'Send Hyperlinks Here' it safes a lot of panel disruption.

2. As I use the Passage Guide a lot I keep it open and generally open and close resources from that panel. It keeps visual clutter to a minimum.

3. The Information tool is a good investment in space.

4. A cheap single malt is not necessarily better than a good blend.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 2791
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 8:47 AM

I really like using Stardock Groupy if I need to open a bunch of stuff. I do most things these days on a laptop and this enables me to keep multiple windows at bay.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS