BDF NT Index

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 107
Chris Lane | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Nov 21 2021 1:08 PM

I have noticed that BDF's NT Index is missing. Despite Logos' search functionality, I find this to be a significant omission from the volume. Is there any chance that we could get it added? 

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 2:00 PM

Chris Lane:

I have noticed that BDF's NT Index is missing. Despite Logos' search functionality, I find this to be a significant omission from the volume. Is there any chance that we could get it added? 

Good ideaYes

Posts 35813
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 2:09 PM

What is BDF? what functionality would a NT index add? Bible indexes are normally useful only when the text is in Biblical order and one wishes to link resources.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 107
Chris Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 2:42 PM

MJ. Smith:
What is BDF?
It is A Greek Grammar of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature by Blass, Debrunner, and Funk (https://www.logos.com/product/4225/a-greek-grammar-of-the-new-testament-and-other-early-christian-literature)

MJ. Smith:
what functionality would a NT index add?
It would make navigating this grammar much easier when considering a specific NT text. If I'm considering passage x, the option to access the index in order to see if it is mentioned in the volume, if passages from its context are mentioned, where any of these references might be located, and (fingers crossed) the ability to hover over the pg. or § number to see a preview would make use and navigation more streamlined.

MJ. Smith:
Bible indexes are normally useful only when the text is in Biblical order and one wishes to link resources.
They can also be useful to see if a specific scholar/author/work says anything about a certain passage, a usefulness which is compounded within reference works such as BDF.

Posts 1298
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 2:49 PM

From your answers to MJ, it looks like you're describing the Cited By tool. I'm not against indices ... it's just that CitedBy does so much more ... connect to a whole collection of grammars ... why just one?

Posts 35813
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 3:00 PM

Chris Lane:

MJ. Smith:
what functionality would a NT index add?
It would make navigating this grammar much easier when considering a specific NT text. If I'm considering passage x, the option to access the index in order to see if it is mentioned in the volume, if passages from its context are mentioned, where any of these references might be located, and (fingers crossed) the ability to hover over the pg. or § number to see a preview would make use and navigation more streamlined.

MJ. Smith:
Bible indexes are normally useful only when the text is in Biblical order and one wishes to link resources.
They can also be useful to see if a specific scholar/author/work says anything about a certain passage, a usefulness which is compounded within reference works such as BDF.

Ah, for these I use a reference search where I can control whether I see all or part of the reference- I find keeping a search available faster than navigating to and through an index.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 107
Chris Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 5:53 PM

DMB:
why just one?
In this instance, this one grammar is the go-to for academic writing. The CitedBy suggestion makes sense, but just not for this use case.

Posts 107
Chris Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 21 2021 6:02 PM

MJ. Smith:
Ah, for these I use a reference search where I can control whether I see all or part of the reference- I find keeping a search available faster than navigating to and through an index.
This is what I've done thus far and it's been mostly workable, but this seems like a rare instance where I would prefer the index. Maybe it comes down to a personal preference as to which one an individual prefers to filter through, but, for whatever reason, my sense is that I would steer towards an index sorted by references instead of various searches (depending on how one wants their results returned). As the index from the print edition was simply left out of this digital ed., I'd at least like the opportunity to use it.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS