Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Nov 22 2021 9:09 PM

What is different about the EEC Kostenberger Gospel of John commentary than his other Johannine works?

Posts 12479
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 22 2021 11:39 PM

Christian Alexander:

What is different about the EEC Kostenberger Gospel of John commentary than his other Johannine works?

That's easy: his other Johannine works are published somewhere, and some or many of them may be even available in Logos, whereas EEC John is a project (possibly with a signed contract and a napkin full of draft ideas) sitting somewhere on Köstenbergers To-Do pile.

It may become available one day, but I wouldn't bet money on this happening in the next five years. 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 5:39 AM

NB.Mick:

Christian Alexander:

That's easy: his other Johannine works are published somewhere, and some or many of them may be even available in Logos, whereas EEC John is a project (possibly with a signed contract and a napkin full of draft ideas) sitting somewhere on Köstenbergers To-Do pile.

It may become available one day, but I wouldn't bet money on this happening in the next five years. 

So I know his BECNT John book was removed due to plagiarism but I never really heard why. Do you know? Also is there a similar book on John to the BECNT addition?

Posts 5866
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 6:14 AM

For those dropping in

BECNT is either Business Enterprise Centre NT (goodness knows what the NT stands for) or Bakers Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament. I guess context is everything and some context may appear in due course.

For the sake of completeness EEC is, beyond doubt the, European Economic Community not the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary which is a figment of the imagination (especially in the minds of those who paid up front).

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Posts 532
Nord Zootman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 6:22 AM

Mike Binks:
For the sake of completeness EEC is, beyond doubt the, European Economic Community not the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary which is a figment of the imagination (especially in the minds of those who paid up front).

Yes

Posts 12479
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 7:04 AM

Christian Alexander:
So I know his BECNT John book was removed due to plagiarism but I never really heard why. Do you know?
If I recall correct, there was an issue with citing Carson's Pillar commentary at really every point where it had been used (presumably due to use of teaching material that did not contain all attribution).

I'd like to write that I'm very glad that I achieved to buy a printed copy of this book - however, it not being in Logos, it basically just sits on my bookshelf. 

Christian Alexander:
Also is there a similar book on John to the BECNT addition?

Not sure if that's available. Köstenberger authored the John portion of ZIBBNT Vol 2 which Zondervan (and therefore Logos) retracted as possibly affected by the same plagiarism issues as BECNT - maybe you can find it in a library, but this is clearly a higher-level, less academic commentary. You definitely will find Köstenberger's other Johannine writings interesting, but those in Logos are a far cry from BECNT.

As to a similar book in the meaning of a very detailed, heavily footnoted academic commentary from an evangelical perspective: I'd look to two resources, DA Carson's in the Pillar series and Craig Keener's commentary (also from Baker, not in a series and nearly twice the size of BECNT John)

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2671
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 8:22 AM

Christian Alexander:
Do you know?

In Dr. Kostenberger's own words. - https://www.biblicalfoundations.org/letter-dr-kostenberger/ 

as for best John in Logos - https://www.logos.com/guides/commentaries/best-commentaries-john 

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 10886
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 10:26 AM

Mike Binks:
not the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary which is a figment of the imagination (especially in the minds of those who paid up front).

Crying

Posts 2590
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 23 2021 2:53 PM

I'm a member of the group great with a imagination. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS