Great Books of the Western World by Encyclopaedia Britannica

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 23 2021 8:22 PM

Great Books of the Western World by  Encyclopaedia Britannica is on sale.

https://www.logos.com/product/55052/great-books-of-the-western-world

Does anyone love this set as much as me? Does anyone use it at all?

I am still learning how to search it. It seems more searchable in Verbum than Logos. I was watching and following along in an MP tutorial on the Fact Book and the set never popped up once.

Posts 592
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 3:27 AM

What I'd be curious about, since I own Logos and not Verbum is WHY it would be more easily searchable in one than the other. Shouldn't it be identical?

Anyone? I'm just curious...

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 7:53 AM

I don't know what I am doing, but the set just comes up in the Catholic topical index and some other things.

There used to be a subscription aimed at classical language students that has been discontinued? It was more closely aligned with Verbum?

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 8:05 AM

If a secular community college professor gets used to me citing the Great Books, then they give me greater permissions to also quote the Bible as just one of the ancient/medieval citations that I am always throwing around.

I love throwing aside the "must be no older than 5/10 years old" rule, and getting praised instead of reprimanded for it. I love, love, love this set.

When I first started community college and was introduced to the school's research databases, I asked where the database to the ancient authors was. The librarian had such a hard time understanding what I was asking and thought I was talking about new secondary sources that quoted ancient authors. But I told him that I wanted the primary sources translated into English and indexed just like the peer reviewed articles. When he finally understood, he loved the idea, but said that it did not exist.

It does exist. In Logos, for less that $200.00 when it goes on sale, and it never gets outdated.

I love, love, love this set.

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 12:33 PM

Kathleen Marie:

I have the set too and have committed to read it sequentially. Initially, when the product was launched, there was a Faithlife Group set up to read it together at a rate of about 20 pages a day but I think I may be the only one left. I'm not averaging that many pages but I'm just finishing Volume 37 this week - "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire - Volume 1" so it continues to be a work in progress.

I've appreciated it leading me to read outside of my normal reading material.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 1:28 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Kathleen Marie:

I have the set too and have committed to read it sequentially. Initially, when the product was launched, there was a Faithlife Group set up to read it together at a rate of about 20 pages a day but I think I may be the only one left. I'm not averaging that many pages but I'm just finishing Volume 37 this week - "The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire - Volume 1" so it continues to be a work in progress.

I've appreciated it leading me to read outside of my normal reading material.

Years ago, it seemed possible to READ the Great Books, but as the years have passed, it seems that I skim more and more, and finish fewer and fewer complete books. I feel like I am drowning in resources at the same time that I am scrambling for more access to resources needed for the project at hand. I am so thankful for the syntopticons. They are amazing! It is so rare that I need to write about a currents events topic that is not listed in the syntopicons. Even though I don't know how to use Logos all that well, yet, to integrate the Great Books with my Bible study, when I am writing a secular paper, the syntopicons have been very helpful.

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 1:52 PM

I was just looking at the old forums. Was the Great Books set part of Noet?

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 4:57 PM

Kathleen Marie:
I feel like I am drowning in resources at the same time that I am scrambling for more access to resources needed for the project at hand.

I totally feel the same way at times. That's why I've tried to just keep plugging away one volume at a time.

Kathleen Marie:
I am so thankful for the syntopticons.

I agree. They are amazing.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 5:01 PM

Kathleen Marie:
Was the Great Books set part of Noet?

I wasn't sure but I don't think so. I just looked up the invoice and found that it was from June 2016 and Logos was listed at the top.

Posts 708
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 5:12 PM

Thanks! To you and everyone that has been here long enough to fill the rest of us in on the history.

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 24 2021 5:25 PM

You are welcome. Glad to help when I can.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS