Commentary wrongly tagged

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 3 2021 7:25 AM

Patrick Fairbairn's commentary on the pastoral epistles contains his own translation, followed by the commentary. Searching for a passage (either within the resource or in passage guide), brings up the reference in the translation rather than his commentary.

Can this be changed so it takes you to the relevant section of the commentary? (Which surely would be the expected behaviour)

Posts 1179
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 7:38 AM

Well, I hope not.

First, I don't have this commentary, so no impact to me.

But I do have many, in which an author translation precedes discussion (and back-referencing). More often than not, I want to see the translation ... I already know the issue.

Unless, I'm misunderstanding?

BTW, MJ sort of leads the pack on wanting the two (text vs commentary) separately handled (for text comparison, etc). So, this might be similar.

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 8:08 AM

Maybe I should clarify - in this case the author's translation is a completely separate section in the book. Eg there are four chapters of translation followed by four chapters of commentary. So it's not like you can just scroll past a paragraph of translation to get to the commentary - instead you have to use the navigation pane to change to a completely different section.

Maybe you still would want it to go to the translation - but if something is tagged as a Commentary, I want a single click to take me to the author's commentary.

Posts 683
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 8:13 AM

I'm not sure how common that is in other commentaries - but a setting to choose whether a click took you to the translation or commentary would be great!

Posts 35585
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 2:58 PM

The behavior you are expecting occurs only when the book has been divided into two resources - one Bible and one Commentary. The behavior you are observing is the standard behavior throughout the commentaries. I could give you the reason in terms of milestone tagging if you really want the technical reason that it is a major project were it to be changed -- but I won't bore you.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 27860
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 3 2021 9:38 PM

Stephen Steele:

I'm not sure how common that is in other commentaries - but a setting to choose whether a click took you to the translation or commentary would be great!

You cannot get that behaviour with any certainty. Whilst it may happen for some commentaries, it is entirely dependent on their organisation which determines how the milestones are structure.

Daniel 6:4 from Passage Guide:

• WBC goes to the commentary, which follows the Translation for the chapter and a couple of other sections.
  • NIVAC goes to the Translation for the chapter, which is followed by the commentary.
  • Walvoord goes to a section which has the Translation for a few verses followed by the commentary.
    • PG doesn't list it for Dan 6:9, but its Reference box directs you to 6:6-9!
  • CBC (Cornerstone) goes to a Technical section following a Translation of a few verses, and you have to scroll to get to the commentary.
  • NAC goes to the commentary, which follows a Translation of a few passages.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS