10 Books worth upvoting

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 35603
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 5 2021 3:46 PM

There are, of course, many more suggested books worthy of your votes ... these are simply some of the older suggestions:

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1917
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 6:48 PM

MJ. Smith:
The Oxford Bible Commentary | Faithlife a useful single volume commentary not yet in Faithlife

The thing is that this used to be in Logos 2.0. I got it on CD years ago from an overstock store online - and has been my first one-volume commentary consulted quite often since.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 2938
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 5 2021 7:38 PM

You are correct because I had it at one time decades ago.

Ken McGuire:

MJ. Smith:
The Oxford Bible Commentary | Faithlife a useful single volume commentary not yet in Faithlife

The thing is that this used to be in Logos 2.0. I got it on CD years ago from an overstock store online - and has been my first one-volume commentary consulted quite often since.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2021 12:44 AM

Ken McGuire:

MJ. Smith:

I, too, have it, but only as a paper copy. It was recommended to me by a teacher of mine in Biblical Theology and Hermeneutics in the official Training Centre of the ELCF, a few years back. My question to him was: What is the best single volume Bible Commentary? Oxford Bible Commentary it was, according to him. It's a shame they don't sell it in Logos anymore. It ought to come back definitely. I would jump on it! (Then I could give my paper copy to a colleague of mine who doesn't use Logos).

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1183
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2021 7:51 AM

MJ. Smith:

Jewish mythology is a significant source for finding the connotations of the Hebrew Bible ... this is a contemporary source to help.

I've always thought if demons floated around (OT, thense NT), there'd have to be mysticism somewhere. But using backward chronology seemes more like subsequent layering?

Not listed, and not likely vote-catching would be bringing back the Japanese RI. Maybe Matthew can pull strings up there.

Oxford is indeed good, especially when you can't afford the critical commentaries.

Posts 1027
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2021 8:23 AM

I appreciate the posts in this thread.  I had never used the concordance tool, but I find it's something I have been wishing I had.... 

Thanks for discussing it!

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 3127
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2021 10:35 AM

I upped my vote. Up yours!

Big Smile

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS