Hot Buys – December 2021

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 6 2021 12:50 PM

Hot Buys – December 2021 – a couple of observations:

Nijay Gupta- Colossians (Smyth&Helwys Commentary Series):

Writes John F. Evans: “ It is quite readable, thoughtful, and well-argued. There is some creativity too, as Gupta uses key terms in the epistle to reconstruct an imaginary letter from the philosophers Paul opposed (p.18). He acknowledges Michael Gorman as a mentor.” Review in: A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th ed. | Logos Bible Software

Gupta is recommended also by Denver Seminary Bibliography.

J. J. M. Roberts – Nahum, Habakkuk, and Zephaniah (OTL Series):

Evans writes: “Probably the leading critical interpretation of these three books (223pp.). The author is retired from Princeton Seminary and is a proficient text critic, exegete, and theologian. “Roberts’ commentary . . . is a jewel” (Hillers), and would not be an unwise purchase for the pastor who enjoys digging deep. I bought it and found it rich.”

Recommended highly by Denver Seminary Bibliography (with a star).

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 1845
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 6 2021 11:19 PM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Hot Buys – December 2021 – a couple of observations:

Nijay Gupta- Colossians (Smyth&Helwys Commentary Series):

Writes John F. Evans: “ It is quite readable, thoughtful, and well-argued. There is some creativity too, as Gupta uses key terms in the epistle to reconstruct an imaginary letter from the philosophers Paul opposed (p.18). He acknowledges Michael Gorman as a mentor.” Review in: A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works, 10th ed. | Logos Bible Software

Gupta is recommended also by Denver Seminary Bibliography.

Recommended highly by Denver Seminary Bibliography (with a star).

In the 2021 edition of Denver's recommendations, Gupta's volume is still a recommended commentary in the 3rd category (commentaries that are briefer and/or have a special focus on exposition or application), but no longer retains the asterisk which indicates it's a priority title. Here's their current recommendations for that category:

Bird, Michael F. Colossians and Philemon (NCCS). Eugene, OR: Cascade, 2009.

*Garland, David E. Colossians/Philemon (NIVAC). Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1998.

Gupta, Nijay K. Colossians (SHBC). Macon: Smyth & Helwys, 2013.

Posts 232
Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2021 1:28 AM

Paul Caneparo:

In the 2021 edition of Denver's recommendations, Gupta's volume is still a recommended commentary in the 3rd category

Thanks for pointing this out! I had the 2020 edition.

Logos 9 Anglican Diamond, Logos 9 Lutheran Diamond

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 7 2021 4:34 AM

Olli-Pekka Ylisuutari:

Paul Caneparo:

In the 2021 edition of Denver's recommendations, Gupta's volume is still a recommended commentary in the 3rd category

Thanks for pointing this out! I had the 2020 edition.

Remember that you can build the personal books of the Denver recommendations here, and I keep them up to date.  I actually need to update them this week with a few new Logos releases, but the new editions will be coming out soon as well from Denver!

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS