Merry Christmas FL. Now make a Christmas merry for the rest of us! (read the posts and pay attention to the point or DON'T respond at all)

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 427
danwdoo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 9 2021 10:46 PM

Chris:
I have no idea what makes you think it's so important to have all of these perspectives.

Because if you want to effectively speak to or even counter a position or belief you have to learn and understand that belief accurately and fully from the perspective of those who hold it. That means reading to know and understand their full reasoning and arguments. The best way to do that is through their own words, not the writings of someone who might cherry-pick and choose sections that best meet their own agenda. We've all read resources like that and they are convincing to no one but those who already hold that position. It's easy to put up a straw man up against a position and argue that down, but it is utterly useless and convinces no one.

Here is a Logos resource that I think would be of great help to you:
Augustine of Hippo: Selected Writings | Logos Bible Software

Specifically, Augustine's City of God was written to Christians who felt very much like you do in a time of great turmoil and upheaval. I think you will find it encouraging and helpful. (It's available in other resources and collections as well so you may already own it.)

Posts 1526
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 8:35 AM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
So far, you've given no reason to censor the post. You haven't violated any Community Guidelines.

I struggle to understand how this forum post doesn't violate Forum rules on its face. I can't even think of how to directly respond to all the problems with it without further violating the rules.

Spare us all and lock the post. I feel like you've been Jedi-mindtricked and guilt-tripped into even allowing it to go this far. "You're not gonna censor me are you...if you censor my ridiculous and deliberately outrageous and offensive post I'll think even worse things about you..."

So let's test the rules, shall we? Some people just want to be racist in public and don't want to be called out for it, and they'll call anyone who calls out or fights against racism racist..."You're the real racist..." To think that other people wanting the same rights and freedoms and privileges that whites have enjoyed is somehow "anti-white racism" actually admits more about white privilege than was probably intended. Justice for all people feels like oppression to people who've historically enjoyed privilege.

Whining about CRT is a red herring and now everything is getting labeled as CRT by people who have no idea what it is. People are literally calling teaching simple history, just plain ole history, CRT. So teaching the accurate and non-sanitized, non-romanticized history of this country is now CRT, and therefore neo-Marxist (a term used to scare and silence or demonize decent Christians who actually want to follow Jesus faithfully and take his commands seriously). Marxist=Communist=Un-American=Un-Christian. So now talking about the ugly history (yes...history) of racial injustice in this country is an un-Christian thing to do. A rather slick and convenient way to convince Christians to not work to make things better and instead incite them to fight like mad to protect the status quo. "We're under attack!!!! (by people who want the same rights as us...) Fight, fight, fight!!!" 

And complaining about censorship while suggesting that Faithlife ban certain books from their store that one disagrees with is an ....interesting... approach... There are plenty of books in the store I disagree with and wonder why Faithlife even sells them. There are plenty of books I wish Faithlife did sell but aren't in the store. I ignore the books I don't like/want and make suggestions that Faithlife carry the books I do want and move on with my life. I don't demand that Faithlife remake itself in my image and only pander to my beliefs to the exclusion of others.

That's all I'll say. Hopefully I managed to stay within the rules (that I clearly don't understand since this post was allowed in the first place).

Posts 1526
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 8:44 AM

Ken McGuire:

The accusation that Faithlife supports too many left wing sources sounds like a bad joke to me since it is the exact opposite of my experience.

Agreed.

Posts 1526
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 8:54 AM

Kiyah:
Whining about CRT is a red herring and now everything is getting labeled as CRT by people who have no idea what it is. People are literally calling teaching simple history, just plain ole history, CRT. So teaching the accurate and non-sanitized, non-romanticized history of this country is now CRT, and therefore neo-Marxist (a term used to scare and silence or demonize decent Christians who actually want to follow Jesus faithfully and take his commands seriously). Marxist=Communist=Un-American=Un-Christian. So now talking about the ugly history (yes...history) of racial injustice in this country is an un-Christian thing to do. A rather slick and convenient way to convince Christians to not work to make things better and instead incite them to fight like mad to protect the status quo. "We're under attack!!!! (by people who want the same rights as us...) Fight, fight, fight!!!" 

I'll append this paragraph by saying that "decent Christians who actually want to follow Jesus faithfully and take his commands seriously" will frequently disagree on exactly how their theology and faith commitments should be applied in the real world. But that disagreement should be allowed to be discussed and worked out (lovingly and honestly) in public (including in books like the ones Faithlife sells). But the CRT red herring tactic shuts down all honest discussions about racial injustice before they can get started by labeling them as inherently un-Christian and therefore out of bounds. 

I didn't want to be thought to say that anyone who disagrees with me on how justice should be achieved in society is an indecent, unfaithful Christian. But that's why people should be able to read whatever books they want (and therefore Faithlife should be able to sell them) so that we can have a greater understanding of the positions of others, especially those we disagree with.

Posts 256
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 10 2021 8:58 AM

Oh me, I predict this won’t be civil… like asking Mulder, Scully, Cigarette smoking man, Skinner, Deepthroat, Bill Mulder, the Syndicate, and the Lone Gunmen to all get along. 

Seriously, I think MJ's comment was the briefest yet wisest "Faithlife's problem is that they need to appeal to both you and me." I'm glad I'm not in Bob Prichett's shoes... but I am so, so, so thankful for the software he made that has so helped my Bible study. 

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS