Pre-pubs not always cheapest?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 15 2021 4:28 AM

Based on emails from Logos stating "Pre-order now to lock in the best price", I was under the impression that ordering resources while they are pre-pubs is the cheapest way to get them. However, I just noticed that some Zondervan Collections were at 20% discount as pre-pub, and once they were released they still had the same 20% discount. On the other hand, some already published Zondervan Collections were 60% off during previous sales.

Does this mean that pre-pubs are not always the cheapest way to get resources?

Posts 8930
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 5:18 AM

You are correct! Prepubs are not always the cheapest way to get resources! Some sales which include Publisher Spotlight sometimes are way better than prepub prices.

DAL

Posts 444
Bernhard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 6:17 AM

But

"All Pre-Pub orders have a 6-month lowest-price guarantee. If we offer a book for less than its Pre-Pub price within 6 months of shipping, just contact us and we will give you the difference in Logos credit."

from https://www.logos.com/prepub/about 

Posts 8930
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 6:44 AM

Bernhard:

But

"All Pre-Pub orders have a 6-month lowest-price guarantee. If we offer a book for less than its Pre-Pub price within 6 months of shipping, just contact us and we will give you the difference in Logos credit."

I had forgotten about that. I thought it was a Logos now benefit. But Logos now is gone so I thought that was no longer being offered. But it’s good to know that it’s still being offered for future reference.

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 7:59 AM

DAL:

Bernhard:

But

I had forgotten about that. I thought it was a Logos now benefit. But Logos now is gone so I thought that was no longer being offered. But it’s good to know that it’s still being offered for future reference.

Yes, I also forgot this. However, how do I keep track of the discounts? I just happened to notice it with the Zondervan collections. But I don't keep track of all resources that I purchase in pre-pub together with their discount. 

Posts 1842
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 9:30 AM

I rarely buy a Zondervan resource in pre-pub as the discount seems to only be 20%. Often they go on sale sometime later for 30 or 40% off.

In fact I tend not to buy anything in pre-pub unless it's 40% off - unless I'm "desperate" for the book - which is less often these days, as my library is pretty extensive.

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 15 2021 9:46 AM

Paul Caneparo:

I rarely buy a Zondervan resource in pre-pub as the discount seems to only be 20%. Often they go on sale sometime later for 30 or 40% off.

In fact I tend not to buy anything in pre-pub unless it's 40% off - unless I'm "desperate" for the book - which is less often these days, as my library is pretty extensive.

This looks like a very good approach. I will need to keep track of the discounts that publishers offer during sales so that I can better gauge if a pre-pub is worth it. Now I have to decide if I want to return my purchase.

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2021 4:57 AM

Armin:
Does this mean that pre-pubs are not always the cheapest way to get resources?

Discounts on Live large collections and base packages are regularly better than PrePub prices for individual volumes or smaller collections (which occurrences are NOT covered by that 6 month guarantee).

There are certain ongoing series, mostly of Church Fathers, the new volumes of which that I normally wait to see in a base package or similarly discounted collection (on sale) to pick up. But that's when I'm willing to wait a year or two or more.

PrePub is generally at its very best, price-wise, for works that will not end up in base packages or as public domain Verbum Now/Faithlife Connect freebies, such as massive journals collections and works by certain publishers.

Zondervan's publishing catalogue consists at least mostly of works I have no interest in, so I have nothing to add about Zondervan specifically.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 1:41 AM

FL sorted out my previous purchases. Their Customer Service is really superb. Thank you, FL. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS