Josephus

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2021 8:44 AM

Where is Josephus found in Christian writings? How can I cite Josephus's massive work in Turabian? We get a narrow glimpse of the world of the NT from the gospel accounts, but their emphasis is on the words and works of Christ. On the other hand, Josephus is all about the world of the New Testament, and giving us a glimpse of that world, helps us better to understand the cultural and historical context of the gospels. So, for instance, the NT tells us some things about the Pharisees, but Josephus gives us additional facts that help us understand that context better.

Posts 25894
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2021 9:03 AM

Christian Alexander:
Where is Josephus found in Christian writings?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Can you clarify?

If you run a Factbook search on Josephus you will get some pointers to him and his works.

Christian Alexander:
How can I cite Josephus's massive work in Turabian? 

Which work are you referring to? If you have it in Logos, select the Turabian citation style in Program Settings.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2021 4:14 PM

How does Josephus' work clarify the NT works?

I want to cite his Antiquities. How can I do so?

Posts 1752
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2021 4:45 PM

Christian Alexander:
How does Josephus' work clarify the NT works?

I want to cite his Antiquities. How can I do so?

Assuming you have bought some books in Logos, open the Library window and search for:
    author:Josephus
The older translation by Whiston is in lots of packages. It includes Antiquities, Wars, and Life.

It will take you quite a while to read Antiquities. Ask why Josephus is telling the story this way, placing emphasis here, omitting this, creating that dialog. What's he telling his Roman audience? How does that bias affect his version of the story? How is he functioning as a first century bridge from Jew to gentile?

Alternatively, you could just use Logos to search for keywords (such as Pharisee) to read what he says about specific topics. That will work, but it won't give you the feel for Josephus' emphases and biases.

Or, if you don't have time to do that, you could just buy/use secondary resources that explain/refer to Josephus says.

To copy text and paste into (say) MS Word with a footnote reference in Turabian, go to the Settings in Logos:

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS