Reader's Lexicon of Apostolic Fathers

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2021 9:20 AM

Am I correct that the Reader's Lexicon of Apostolic Fathers is just on the so-called Apostolic Fathers & not on a wider group of "Church Fathers"? The link in the description offering more information takes one to a different title, Reading Scripture with the Church Fathers.  Is this second work a commentary on what the Church Fathers say or is it a lexicon?  The image supplied says to click on it to see it enlarged, but when I click, the system fails.  And the little image is too blurry in my eyes to read it.  Can someone describe these 2 works for me & tell me if there is redundancy between the two?  Can you compare the two works?  Thanks in advance

Posts 2231
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 16 2021 9:32 AM

Here is the table of contents from the readers lexicon

Contents Preface Acknowledgments Abbreviations First Clement Second Clement Ignatius to the Ephesians Ignatius to the Magnesians Ignatius to the Trallians Ignatius to the Romans Ignatius to the Philadelphians Ignatius to the Smyrnaeans Ignatius to the Polycarp Polycarp to the Philippians The Martyrdom of Polycarp The Didache The Letter of Barnabas The Shepherd of Hermas The Letter to Diognetus The Fragment of Quadratus The Fragments of Papias The Traditions of the Elders Sample from Clement First Clement Preface ἁγιάζω 3 • 16 to consecrate, dedicate, sanctify κλητός 1 • 3 called, invited Κόρινθος, ἡ 1 • 3 Corinth παντοκράτωρ, ὁ 6 • 12 Almighty, All-powerful, Omnipotent (One) παροικέω [2] 2 • 6 to inhabit a place as a foreigner/stranger, be a stranger πληθύνω 3 • 11 to be multiplied, grow, increase; πληθυνθείη aorist pass. optative Ῥώμη, ἡ 1 • 8 Rome The other book basically defines who the Church Fathers were and how they used Scripture.

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 17 2021 4:49 AM

Christian Alexander:
Am I correct that the Reader's Lexicon of Apostolic Fathers is just on the so-called Apostolic Fathers & not on a wider group of "Church Fathers"?

Yes.

Christian Alexander:
Is this second work a commentary on what the Church Fathers say or is it a lexicon?

More of the former than the latter.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS