Research Queries

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 16 2021 10:10 AM

I'm hoping to get some assistance in researching a subject of biblical importance. The question is, "Is the 'teaching' we see in the OT and NT generally a method of teaching that is one-to-many for the purposes of relaying information about God and Scripture or is the 'teaching' we see described in Scripture more relational in nature? How can teaching be used as both interpersonal, intrapersonal, and pastoral way to know God better?"

I am doing this as a paper for my upcoming class that begins next Monday.  I think it is clear that both of these types of "teaching" are found in Scripture and are important. If you were going to research this, how would you use Logos?

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 18 2021 8:58 PM

bump for attention 9

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 18 2021 10:03 PM

Show me what you've come up with thus far and I may be able to help your refine it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3478
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 19 2021 9:17 PM

This is an interesting idea. I have never thought of this type of query. Does the underlying dataset needed for this type of search exist?

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 8:05 AM

David Taylor Jr:
Does the underlying dataset needed for this type of search exist?

Yes, if I understand the question correctly.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:00 AM

MJ. Smith:

Show me what you've come up with thus far and I may be able to help your refine it.

Teaching refers to the God-given ability to explain God’s Word; the teacher has the supernatural ability to clearly instruct and communicate knowledge, specifically the doctrines of the Bible. That is the two way street. The biggest difference that you need to know about between interpersonal vs intrapersonal communication is that interpersonal is between two or more people. I believe there is a thin line between academic and personal biblical study. 

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:00 AM

David Taylor Jr:

This is an interesting idea. I have never thought of this type of query. Does the underlying dataset needed for this type of search exist?

I cannot find a good dataset to derive this study from within Logos.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:03 AM

There are at least four parts to teaching: studying, meditating, bridging the gap and communicating.  The Bible rewards those who study it! If we’re serious about teaching it to others, Bible study is a command, not an option. As John RW Stott has said: “The higher our view of the Bible, the more painstaking and conscientious our study of it should be.”[1]

[1] John R.W. Stott, Between Two Worlds: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century (Grand Rapids, MI: William B. Eerdmans, 1982), 182.

Posts 2678
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:18 AM

Christian Alexander:
The question is, "Is the 'teaching' we see in the OT and NT generally a method of teaching that is one-to-many for the purposes of relaying information about God and Scripture or is the 'teaching' we see described in Scripture more relational in nature?

See https://www.logos.com/product/197872/a-theology-for-christian-education for a discussion on Christian "learning" / "formation" / "moral development"

Also, anything by James Estep, such as https://www.logos.com/product/39368/christian-formation-integrating-theology-and-human-development 

In my doctoral studies, several texts made a distinction between academic learning (cognitive understanding) and discipleship of the whole person that involves heart (emotive) and hands (skill). Much written on "discipleship" will reflect this Head, Heart, Hand taxonomy.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 2:26 PM

Christian Alexander:

David Taylor Jr:

I cannot find a good dataset to derive this study from within Logos.

If I were doing your assignment, it would be a two step process for my research. Step one would be to find all of the instances of teaching. Step two would be to classify them.

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 1164
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 3:10 PM
SineNomine, I get step 1 and the search. But how can I do step 2, if Logos doesn't tell me the answer? Is it even possible? Smiling ... in memory of George.
Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 5:21 PM

SineNomine:

If I were doing your assignment, it would be a two step process for my research. Step one would be to find all of the instances of teaching. Step two would be to classify them.

SineNomine

So my professor said in an announcement

The process for research in this class needs to be done in 7 steps. This can all be done in Logos. 

1. Find 20 main instances of teaching in the Bible. 

2. Relate doctrine and theology to the Bible in these instances

3. You will ask the questions, “What constitutes an excellent teacher?” “What constitutes excellent teaching?” and “What type of teacher do I want to be?” Then you will write down the primary values that you believe constitute an excellent teacher with the view of exemplifying these values in yourself and your teaching.

4. Understand the instances of teaching in the Bible to the proper teaching of modernity. 

5. Research  the Scriptures that show us the role of teachers in the Kingdom of God and what kind of character we should expect of them. We will learn that all teaching should center on Christ and drive at application. You will learn how to rightly divide the Word into an outline that fits the passage, and you will learn how to use helpful reference tools.

6. Show how to teach for Knowledge and Developing Understanding

7. Explain the role of the teacher, the role of the Holy Spirit and the role of the learner

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 5:22 PM

DMB:
SineNomine, I get step 1 and the search. But how can I do step 2, if Logos doesn't tell me the answer? Is it even possible? Smiling ... in memory of George.

Very true. What do you all think about my professor's notes?

Posts 5868
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 1:27 AM

Christian Alexander:

DMB:

Very true. What do you all think about my professor's notes?

Apart from wondering why these were issued after the assignment was set rather than along with the assignment (thus reducing the chances of a student wasting time on the wrong path), I think that careful consideration of the notes will he rewarded in the grade achieved.

tootle pip

Mike

How to get logs and post them. (now tagging post-apocalyptic fiction as current affairs)

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS