MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 14 and Logos

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Dec 20 2021 4:18 PM

I need to replace my 2012 MacBook Pro with a new computer. I am trying to make a decision on hard drive space and RAM.

My present computer' hard drive is about 66% filled and is around 749 (can't remember the measurement for this gigs or something else). I presently have 8 Ram and it no longer seems enough. I once used it for business.

I know the M! chip is something new but am unsure how my present computer compares with the new Mac's.

The only software I use that is data driven is Logos. I do no video creation or photo editing. My computer is now primarily a Intenet research, writing, and education machine. I am finishing seminary and running a small group ministry.

I want to buy a computer that will lasts around seven-eight years and I know Mac's are not upgradable.

So, having said all that who here is using the 2021 Air or MacBook Pro 14?

Particularity in regards to Logos, what are you finding the pros and cons?

I want to be wise with my money but don't want to find myself with buyer's remorse five years from now or sooner.

Thanks.

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2021 4:28 PM

Yes, I know there are others things to consider; needed ports and such, but for now I'm trying to look at the hardware basics.

I love having a dvd player and will miss the ports I have even if I go to the 14", but I have to start somewhere.  This will be primarily for home as I have a iPad Air for outside the home. I don't use Logos much on it as I am not fond of using the version of Logos the Ipad Air requires. When traveling I might take the Air or Pro 14 with me but not always.

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2021 6:04 PM

I got a Macbook Air with 16gb RAM and 512GB SSD. It flies, although Logos has to use Rosetta 2 to run Logos. We still are some time out from Logos running natively on the M1 chip. 

Get 16GB of RAM and as much storage as you can afford. That will future proof your investment.

You can get a USB C hub to run things like DVD drives, etc. 

If you are going to travel, I would go with the Air personally.

Posts 58
Michael Hunt | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 20 2021 10:50 PM

The Air will be more than suitable with either 8 or 16gb of RAM.

I would suggest you upgrade the storage from the base 256gb.

At some point depending on your upgrades in RAM and storage you could be spending close to the MacBook Pro 14 machine price. This would be the better purchase in terms of screen, processor, ports etc. 

If longevity is what you are after and the budget allows for it then go the MacBook Pro 14. I would suggest that the longevity of your 2012 MacBook Pro probably skews what now days is the feasible life of an apple laptop. I would say 2-3 years is what you are looking at for the Air with maybe an additional 1-2 years for the newly released MacBook Pro 14.

Posts 611
Gregory Lawhorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 3:43 AM

Because the Pro has active cooling with fans, and the Air has passive cooling with a heat sink, the processor will run a bit faster with the Pro. 

I would would max the laptop as much as you can: RAM, then processor, then storage. You can always carry a small SSD external drive for storage, but the RAM is always what it is. 

Posts 256
Tony Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 9:27 AM

if you are still in seminary and can get the edu price, make sure you check the education price and see what they would give you for a trade in of the old one. and if you use Apple Card you can get instant trade credit, 12 payments, and 0 interest... and 3% back and they only tax the price difference not the full price of laptop.

I really would like a MBP, but I feel that the M1 Air is one of the wisest computer purchases I have made. I have used Macs since 2003 and keep up with most all news (worked at an apple store for a little while). I traded in a MBP and get $750 for it (fairly new one). The edu price of the Air was 899. That meant I only owed 149. And the tax was on 149 not the larger amount. it worked out to $12.41 a month (I think it was) for 12 months. No brainer. 

Now, I have a 2020 iMac also, so I didnt need to max the Air out (if that was my sole computer I would). But looking back, the Air has been such a good computer. I do hardly no video (other than record a sermon for seminary once in a blue moon and one maybe two short videos for church for VBS highlights etc), so the Air is more than sufficient for most of what I need it to do. While I enjoy the iMac on my desk most of the time, if I was going to spend around $2k for an Apple purchase, I think I would get a good Air and an iPad mini and a pencil. Using Logos on the Air and use the mini to read and take notes, that is an ideal combo. 

However, I do enjoy watching Greg's videos on Youtube of comparing the latest and most powerful Mac :) 

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 10:21 AM

I wonder if my present computer is good enough for a trade-in - plus I'm not sure about sending it to Apple without reinstalling the software or whatever you call it when you take a computer back to its original setup. I could do that on a PC but don't know how on a Mac. Paying someone to do that isn't worth the price.  

It gives me the color wheel in Logos more than anything else, though rarely. They offered 150 if it passed their trade in tests which would help but not sure that would pass muster. 

I have a iPad Air I like using, but prefer using Logos and writing on a 'real computer' and not using the app version.

The biggest question now is, do applications have to be on the internal harddrive. I don't have that much data to backup anymore now that I do different work. I have two ways I back up data. If only Apple had a 750 hard drive available. I'm concerned that the 512 hard drive won't be enough for applications because I'm at around 466 now. I know on a PC one need a certain amount of free hard drive space to work well but am not sure of what is needed for a Mac.

I better do a needed application list and see if I can figure out what on my computer I'd never install and use again. I have no problem using exeternal hard drives but for my situation they don't seem as useful or needed.

I might not do the amount of application usage I've done in the past but will applications be smaller in size or larger? 

Is there a difference in pricing between public school and university students? I will use the educational discount, every little bit helps.

It seems Apple makes configurations so much more confusing these days. There is a big difference in 1T and 512 and no midpoint. I'd rather stick between 1500-2000 if I can settle the hard drive issue. When I add what I feel I should get for 'the future', say 5-7 years, it'll be more than $2000.  The least years I can depend on it the less money I feel I can spend. 

So it seems like I need to settle the hard drive issue. If 512 could work I either buy an Air and expect to buy again in 3 or 4 years, and buy a really good hub. Or I bite the bullet and spend more for a 14" Pro and live with it for 7 or so years (I hope). 

Thanks for everyone's help. I've got some thinking to do, especially since it's hard and not always possible or safe to buy last year's model and save like you can with upgradable PC's. 

I assume Christmas and the new school year are the only times Apple offers their version of 'deals'.

Hopefully I haven't forgotten anything else I need to look at; except to consider Apple Care+ or not. That's no longer $99.

Posts 8935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 2:21 PM

Or if you have a Best Buy credit card you can get 36 months zero financing on a new Mac.  You have until January 2, 2022 to buy.

DAL

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 3:31 PM

Yes, I did read about the fan and the fan definitely comes on with the present computer. I don't remember for how many years. I can see an advantage with the fan with my experience with my present Pro machine.

One of the questions I have now is Apple Care+. If I buy the base Air with 16 ram and wait for a better computer later, I'm leaning no; especially since it is so expensive in relation to the Air's lower price point. If I get the 14" Pro I wonder how one could do without it? Unless a design flaw was discovered and Apple looked bad for not dealing with it, one would be in a fix.

How do you feel about Apple Care+ ?

Posts 9
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 4:07 PM

After reading your posts, I think the MacBook Air (8 or 16g memory, 1 terabyte HD) will more than meet your present requirements. And, within your budget. Computers will only get better, Lord willing -- so you can mentally think 3-5 years. Concerning AppleCare, it's your call but seeing that it's a laptop I would get it. If it stays on your desk, then maybe you can avoid it.

I could not tell what you are trading in, but you select trade in and they send you a box. You have 14 days (if I remember) to return it. Therefore, you will have plenty of time to install your apps.

Posts 8935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 21 2021 11:17 PM

How would this one run Logos with 18K resources? Or should I go with 1TB SSD and maybe expand memory later to 32?

Apple - MacBook Pro - 13" Display with Touch Bar - Intel Core i5 - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Space Gray

Posts 8935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 3:08 AM

DAL:

How would this one run Logos with 18K resources? Or should I go with 1TB SSD and maybe expand memory later to 32?

Apple - MacBook Pro - 13" Display with Touch Bar - Intel Core i5 - 16GB Memory - 512GB SSD - Space Gray

1TB SSD would cost me $41/month for 36 months. The memory only comes in 16GB. Is not the newest model but it’s cheap enough to last me a good while and not worry about disk space. My current 1TB Dell has only used 296 with apps and all, so even the 512 would still be enough, but for $5 bucks more a month, I think I’ll better off with the 1TB SSD.

Posts 9
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 3:11 AM

The intel will be faster than your present 2012 but I would not buy an intel version. The Air will be faster and the HD will be quicker. As regards, HD space you want to get what you can afford. If you can offload some of your approx 700g data to an external drive then 512 works. If you are constrained budget wise get a refurbished certified Air M1. It comes with the same warranty and is somewhere around $200 cheaper. Search for Apple refurbished for the link. At the end of the day, either will run logos faster than your 2012.

I think with the refurbished you are looking at similar money.

Refurbished 13.3-inch MacBook Air Apple M1 Chip with 8โ€‘Core CPU and 8โ€‘Core GPU - Space Gray

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 5:52 AM

I recently purchased a refurbished MacBook Air for my daughter. This is an amazing machine. So far, I have been a MacBook Pro user, but I am seriously considering a MacBook Air with a large external monitor next time I need a new laptop myself. And the refurbished machines are cheaper and just like new.

Posts 30481
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 6:55 AM

Gregory Lawhorn:
I would would max the laptop as much as you can: RAM, then processor, then storage. You can always carry a small SSD external drive for storage, but the RAM is always what it is.

I agree with this under some circumstances. However, Logos really should not be run on an external drive, so the user's needs are a consideration. What else will be on the device? This is a more important consideration on a laptop, since it is intended to be mobile. If this were a desktop, you could simply hook up the external drives and forget about them. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8935
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 7:43 AM

Talk about ignorance is a bliss (sometimes).  I was reading up on intel chips and Apple has pretty much ditched them to make their own M series chips ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ Well, I’ll hold off for a better deal on an M1 chip. I don’t need to spend money on something that’s pretty much discontinued.  What a bummer ๐Ÿ˜ฎ‍๐Ÿ’จ Late in the game but I learned something new today ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜’

DAL

Posts 9
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:20 AM

DAL:

Talk about ignorance is a bliss (sometimes).  I was reading up on intel chips and Apple has pretty much ditched them to make their own M series chips ๐Ÿคฆ๐Ÿป‍โ™‚๏ธ Well, I’ll hold off for a better deal on an M1 chip. I don’t need to spend money on something that’s pretty much discontinued.  What a bummer ๐Ÿ˜ฎ‍๐Ÿ’จ Late in the game but I learned something new today ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜’

DAL

Not trying to persuade you, and I am no prophet, but I don't see prices going down. The refurbished route can work for your budget. Have a Merry Christmas! :)

Posts 30481
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:58 AM

DAL:
I don’t need to spend money on something that’s pretty much discontinued.

For most people, I'd probably discourage them from purchasing an Intel Mac at this point. 

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 10:00 AM

The question about running something on a external drive was more of a curiosity question. In the past, that would never be done but the way computers have changed I wasn't sure what could be done.

My laptop is my main computer. I looked at the Mini but decided against it. I only take the laptop with me on long vacations as I have a iPad Air for local meetings and cafe visits. I considered the 13" but leaning away from it. I'm definitely going with the M1. If I was very mobile I'd go with the base Air with 16 Ram for mobile, give my husband my iPad Air (he won't know what hit him since he's only used PC's), and have another laptop at home.

Once I decide what applications I will continue to use, I'll have a better idea of what I really need storage wise. Lots of software installed over almost ten years and some of it I'll not use again. I've never figured out how to uninstall software on a Mac and I never tried third party apps for that. I'll not likely 'try' as much software in the future either. It's not always easy to decide how much files are created by a software program and even uninstalling on a PC doesn't take off all the created files. Some research is usually needed there.

So it's down to needed hard drive space and the fact I'm using a very small desk now compared to the office desk I had at our last house. I'll get a new cellphone soon but I will not be spending much because I don't use it the way most people do. I read off the Ipad. A little more research and I'm spending money and waiting on Apple to deliver; immediately if it's the M1 Air, up to three weeks for the M1 Pro.

Posts 1127
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 11:58 AM

Hello, L.C. I got the 2020 M1 MacBook Air for my wife which she needed upgrading from her old Mac, she doesn't use Logos.

I got the 14" MacBook Pro with M1 Pro 16GB ram, 512GB SSD I don't know the size of your Logos Library mine is 7,000 resources the internal SSD has 285GB free space still. I picked up a 2TB external SSD to hold all my data files so I can keep access to everything without the need of using the internal SSD.

The Write speed of the internal is 6,200 Mb/s and the Read was 5,400 Mb/s.

A full index on Logos takes right at 59 minutes, but the Logos index isn't using all of the added cores it only used 38% of the CPU Load.

Also most of the time you might forget that this computer does have 2 fans, because for the most part I only hear them if I'm watching the index as it's finishing up. 

The battery last Sooo long, even if I don't charge it for two days I still have power.

As far as Apple care I have never gotten it with any of my Mac's I am always careful with computers. 

Note I am serving in the mission field, unnamed location but we have no real Apple store in this country, but If I had to do something I can get to Korea to have the problem fixed.

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Page 1 of 2 (38 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS