MacBook Air or MacBook Pro 14 and Logos

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 37 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:21 PM

How do I know how many resources I have?

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:26 PM

DAL,

I would get the Macbook with the M1 chip. The performance is so much better and will be better over the long haul.

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 12:35 PM

L. C. Peterson:

How do I know how many resources I have?

Lee:

Go here: https://wiki.logos.com/Installation_and_Indexing_Questions#Where_does_Logos_install_resources.3f 

Your data folder will tell you the size of your library in gigabytes (not the number of resources). That's the key number when deciding how much storage to get.

For the number of resources, pull up your library. Here's a screenshot of my library with the number of resources circled in red.

Posts 2840
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 2:05 PM

Figure that you want a good chunk more room than your library. Logos can easily use another 30GB or so when indexing your library. You want room for new resources and other files that you create. Buying less than 512GB drive is just not a strategy for a savvy shopper anymore.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 1127
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 22 2021 8:54 PM

Ok, my Logos library is 61GB of data, the index is 8GB. 

I think many of you may have a larger Library than what I have from 11 years with Logos.

L4 BS, L5 RB, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum, L9 Baptist Platinum.
2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro 14" 16GB 512GB SSD, running MacOS Monterey   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 8.

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 5:19 AM

I discovered I have about 4,000 resources and the folder shows 1.3 gig space taken. If Mac's are like PCs there would be some files in the main system folder as well.

Posts 463
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 6:20 AM

L.C. Peterson I doubt that 1.3 Gigs is correct. I have 3700 resources and Logos takes up 46 Gigs on my Desktop. 

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 7:36 AM

Hi John:

Could it be the type of resources? Or perhaps I have hidden folders and you 'unhid' yours? Or is your computer a PC and it's different?

Or maybe I missed a folder to include, like I need to see what is in the system directory (if Mac has one). PC's have such a directory although it might not be called 'system'.

I did not change any defaults for 'saving files' etc. which on a PC would mean I'd have to include the 'non-default' folder in the count.

I'l see what I can figure out.

Posts 1969
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 8:04 AM

L. C. Peterson:

I discovered I have about 4,000 resources and the folder shows 1.3 gig space taken. If Mac's are like PCs there would be some files in the main system folder as well.

I am guessing that your 1.3 GB is the Logos App in the Applications folder. That's not where your resources are kept. Those are in the User | Library | Application Support | Logos4 | Data folder, as shown:

The Library folder is hidden by default. To see it, go to the Finder, click on Go in the menubar and hold down the option key.

EDIT: rewritten for clarity.

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:42 AM

No luck finding that file folder. I'm using a newer version, maybe they changed locations.

Posts 1969
Forum MVP
Levi Durfey | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 10:56 AM

L. C. Peterson:

No luck finding that file folder. I'm using a newer version, maybe they changed locations.

Have you found the Library | Application Support folder that is in the User folder on your Mac? There are two of them, confusingly. One is in your Root folder and that's the wrong one.

To find the right folder: go to the Finder, click on Go in the menubar and hold down the option key. Then click Library. In the Library, go to the Application Support folder. Then find a Logos folder (usually it is called Logos4, no matter what version of Logos you have)

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 23 2021 12:37 PM

L. C. Peterson:

Try going here if you are on a Mac: /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Logos4/Data 

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 10:17 AM

Bill:

Oddly the only folder I can find like that is under 'guest' user; not anything like it under my username. And apparantly even as administrator I have no access to it.  It's a puzzle to me.

Posts 9
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 10:32 AM

L. C. Peterson:

Bill:

Oddly the only folder I can find like that is under 'guest' user; not anything like it under my username. And apparantly even as administrator I have no access to it.  It's a puzzle to me.

I have 52g so I would guess for the OP that some number around that would be safe to assume. That's 10% of a 512g HD.

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 10:55 AM

L. C. Peterson:

Bill:

I can't find the Logos4 folder using Finder, if that is what you are using. I use another file manager (Forklift), which let's me view all folders under Application Support.

Does anyone know if there is a setting in Finder to show all hidden folders?

Posts 9
Frank Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 11:43 AM

Bill Anderson:

L. C. Peterson:

Bill:

I can't find the Logos4 folder using Finder, if that is what you are using. I use another file manager (Forklift), which let's me view all folders under Application Support.

Under the finder, hit "go" from the menu bar, hold down the option key. The directory 'Library' will show -- click on it.

Posts 19
L. C. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 12:02 PM

Thank you, everyone.

I finally found where to do the 'go' command in the right place and it worked. I'd been trying the wrong location.

Have a Great Christmas.

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 5:28 PM

Bill Anderson:

Frank Jones:

Under the finder, hit "go" from the menu bar, hold down the option key. The directory 'Library' will show -- click on it.

Frank,

That was an extremely helpful tip, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS