Translation Philosophy of the Lexham English Bible

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 24 2021 6:02 AM

What is the Translation Philosophy of the Lexham English Bible?

Posts 2234
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 6:07 AM

Even though the preface is short it should answer your question.  

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:00 AM

Kenneth Neighoff:

I cannot see the preface in Logos.

Posts 2234
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:05 AM

That’s odd. I can see the preface in Logos in the desktop and on my iPad.   

Posts 2234
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:06 AM

That’s odd.   I can see the preface in both the desktop and on the mobile app.

Posts 1864
Paul Caneparo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:06 AM

Christian Alexander:

Kenneth Neighoff:

I cannot see the preface in Logos.

You need to search by contents rather than by verse and you'll find the preface.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:08 AM

Thanks found it

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:14 AM

Here are my questions. Why is the Lexham English Bible being marketed as a “second Bible,” to be used with whatever “primary translation” the reader prefers? I find “For in this way God loved” instead of “For God so loved” in the LEB version of John 3:16; that’s fine as far as the meaning of the Greek is concerned, but it is followed by “so that he gave,” which is a result clause, an awkward mismatch with “in this way.” Why is this done?

Posts 35841
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 11:51 AM

Christian, it would help us guide you to appropriate answers if you would share here or in your profile your denomination and seminary/college. The bits and pieces that you have shared leave me confused as to what basic skills I should assume you have and what you need to be given explicitly so you will learn. This is a great example of why I need to know:

1. The LEB is not a Bible that a pastor would assume all the members of his congregation will be using. It is assumed that the first choice of Bible is that used in worship, therefore the LEB is a second Bible as it is very helpful in understanding Faithlife coding.
  2. As this is a peer-to-peer forum, it is unreasonable to expect us to know why the translation is as it is. What we know is the translation philosophy of staying close to the interlinear - a fact you can find for yourself.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS