Good books on denominations

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:23 AM

What are some good books on denominations? "Denomination" can be understood historically and sociologically . . . but theological assessments are practically non-existent

Posts 1917
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:39 AM

Personally, I like Arthur Carl Piepkorn's Profiles in Belief. It is out of print, including from Logos, however.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

L8 Anglican, Lutheran and Orthodox Silver, Reformed Starter, Academic Essentials

L7 Lutheran Gold, Anglican Bronze

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 7:48 AM

Ken McGuire:

Personally, I like Arthur Carl Piepkorn's Profiles in Belief. It is out of print, including from Logos, however.

Link please?

Posts 5921
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 5:54 PM

Christian Alexander:
What are some good books on denominations?

Can you be more specific about what you're looking for?

Please use descriptive thread titles to attract helpful posts & not waste others' time. Thanks!

Posts 2680
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 6:09 PM

Christian Alexander:
What are some good books on denominations? 

Roger Olson (a Faithlife author) has published https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Denominations-United-States-14th/dp/1501822519/ref=sr_1_1?crid=ZKI1FNMRZNZP&keywords=Handbook+of+denominations&qid=1640484488&s=books&sprefix=handbook+of+denominations%2Cstripbooks%2C104&sr=1-1 now in its 14th edition.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 35572
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 6:32 PM

Christian Alexander:
What are some good books on denominations? "Denomination" can be understood historically and sociologically

More than half of Christianity has no place in their theology for "denominations" and many of the definitions of "denomination" make no sense for those churches that are international in organization. The Story of Creeds and Confessions: Tracing the Development of the Christian Faith by Donald Fairbairn will give you a strong background of knowledge on which to hang the information about specific "denominations". You can get those details from The Complete Guide to Christian Denominations: Understanding the History, Beliefs, and Differences by Ron Rhodes. This takes you to something similar to the "theological threads" used for classification in Logos. Handbooks with upteen thousand denominations will make sense once you've mastered this background.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 26 2021 4:56 AM

I am looking for a theological assessment of the interconnection of Evangelicalism in the modern years of America. I want to see a social and theological analysis. I want to see how interdenominational and nondenominational ideologies have surfaced over the past few centuries. To understand what nondenominational and interdenominational churches are, you first need to know the meaning of a denomination. A denomination is a large religious body made up of many local churches that operates under a common name, tradition, and identity. Denominations establish their worldviews that shape their members’ views on social, political, and economic issues. Does that make sense? Also MJ I purchased those books and they will arrive on Jan 2

Posts 27856
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 26 2021 6:57 PM

Christian Alexander:
To understand what nondenominational and interdenominational churches are, you first need to know the meaning of a denomination. A denomination is...

And now, Christian, you are outside the Forum Guidelines where the focus should be suggestions of "good books" on denominations available through Faithlife.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS