Thesis of The Bible Unfiltered: Approaching Scripture on Its Own Terms

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 24 2021 8:11 AM

What is the primary thesis of Heiser's work The Bible Unfiltered: Approaching Scripture on Its Own Terms?

Posts 632
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 8:41 AM

I would summarize it as:

Let the Bible say what it says instead of filtering it through a theological system such as Calvinism, Arminianism, dispensationalism, etc.

Posts 1173
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 24 2021 8:45 AM
Instead, Heiser filters it thru bits and pieces of Ugarit, Sumer, and Asher.
Posts 5465
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 8:14 AM

DMB:
Instead, Heiser filters it thru bits and pieces of Ugarit, Sumer, and Asher.

IdeaLightningEmbarrassed

ASROCK x570 Creator, AMD R9 3950x, HyperX 64gb 3600 RAM, Asus Strix RTX 2080 ti, 2tb m.2 Seagate Firecuda SSD (x2) ...and other mechano-digital happiness.

"The Unbelievable Work...believe it or not."

Posts 2372
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 9:27 AM

It simply proposes interpreting the Bible in its own context, yes, including the context of the surrounding nations, to which the ancient Israelites consistently turned in terms of culture and religion as the Old Testament points out over and over, as opposed to interpreting the Bible in a 21st century context, which is completely foreign to the biblical authors and their concerns.  Heiser recognizes that in order to interpret the Bible, one must understand what it meant to the original audience, after which one can then apply it to today.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1173
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 25 2021 10:22 AM

Anyone familiar with early middle east writings (Egypt, Hittite, Ugarit, Sumer, Ashur, and Persopolis) and associated images can quickly spot the match in the OT, and even by Jesus. Proposing significance is guesswork, in a long line of that particular brand of scholarship known as 'Biblical Scholars' (eg Wright). The problem arises in two areas: (1) trying to land the theory back in Nicene-land, and (2) the assumption the whole exercise is even needed for eternal life   ... over 2,000 years and counting.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS