Discourse Analysis

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Dec 29 2021 9:59 AM

How can I do better understanding the methodology and ideology of biblical discourse analysis? I have read Runge's work. I know Discourse analysis is the evaluation of language 'beyond the sentence.' It includes verbal, written, and non-verbal communication. I am looking to analyze John's Gospel as a discourse on a macro and micro level of understanding. The discourses in John’s gospel address issues of living the life of faith. I have also read this https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1043&context=eleu 

Posts 27858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 29 2021 12:17 PM

Christian Alexander:
The discourses in John’s gospel address issues of living the life of faith.

Does it not address other issues?

Christian Alexander:

You should continue to research the internet.

The Visual filters menu of your bible will unlock various Discourse features that will help your analysis of John's gospel. Hovering over a feature will provide a definition from a Glossary that you should have in your Library.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 2681
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2021 8:55 AM

Christian Alexander:
How can I do better understanding the methodology and ideology of biblical discourse analysis?

you may be biting off more than you are expected to chew.

my understanding of academia is that an undergrad is expected to cite what the experts write. at the master's level the student is expected to evaluate what the experts write, it is only at the doctoral level that one is expected to produce as an expert. Of course, your professor may have different expectations.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2021 2:07 PM

My professor said, "By the end of this course students should be able to replicate old thoughts and patterns as well as be an expert on DA within their Bible book of study. 

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2021 2:45 PM

David Thomas:
my understanding of academia is that an undergrad is expected to cite what the experts write. at the master's level the student is expected to evaluate what the experts write, it is only at the doctoral level that one is expected to produce as an expert.

Interesting and explains some of what I saw coming out of my undergraduate work. These are lower expectations than the schools I attended expected but in keeping with the preparation of some of my classmates.

Christian Alexander:
be an expert on DA within their Bible book of study. 

The professor clearly has lower expectations of an expert than I ... it takes more than one term to learn the different theories of DA, how and why they differ, what open questions they expose . . .

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1361
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 20 2022 8:46 AM

Christian Alexander:

How can I do better understanding the methodology and ideology of biblical discourse analysis? I have read Runge's work. I know Discourse analysis is the evaluation of language 'beyond the sentence.' It includes verbal, written, and non-verbal communication. I am looking to analyze John's Gospel as a discourse on a macro and micro level of understanding. The discourses in John’s gospel address issues of living the life of faith. I have also read this https://digitalcommons.liberty.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1043&context=eleu 

The Lexham Methods Series volume on Linguistics and Biblical Exegesis includes a fairly brief section on Discourse Analysis (and other exegetical approaches that may also prove useful for your studies). From Dr. Runge's work:

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS