Personal Book Project in the Works - Look out for it. (Complete EEBO - Puritan Collection)

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 33 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 30 2021 7:32 AM

Hello all. I am happy to announce that I have begun the process of creating a "Complete EEBO-PD Unformatted Puritan Collection" for Logos. This will consist of every Puritan work available on EEBO - Phase I & Phase II, Public Domain (non-Proquest.) I have been using Zotero to locate and link the works, and am going back and creating 2000-3000 page Volumes consisting of as many works as I can in each volume. For my list, I am using APM's (A Puritans Mind) list of 245 or so Puritan Authors. I have already linked the first 50 authors, and this resulted in about 750 titles! This still leaves about 200 Puritan Authors to go. While this task may seem daunting, let me assure you it is not. Both EEBO and the TCP, and Logos have done the hard work, all I am doing is mouse clicks and copy and paste. Yes, it is the same repetitive action 1000's of times, but nothing really laborious. These resources will look almost exactly like they do in EEBO. Just the sheer amount of literature makes it impossible for a person like me to perfectly format each text; and, it would be hard for someone even like Logos. To put it in perspective, the first two volumes consists of 1 1/2 authors works (or about 20 works,) and it is over 5000 - 11 point pages. But since the resource is digital, not of that really matters. My goal in doing this is to utilize the text creation by EEBO, and the power of the Logos search engine,  to make a fully searchable Puritan Database via Personal Books integrated into Logos. While Logos does have some Puritan authors available, they do not have many comparatively to the amount of authors there are. I have already tested, and these works are fully searchable. I would like someone who is interested in the Puritans to be able to type a keyword in a collection, and get every hit, every Puritan had possible; not just the 10 or 20 popular ones. Now, this isnt going to be for everybody because these text still use archaic language, and sometimes words come out like "vnto" instead of "unto" or, "diuine" instead of "divine." But for any natural English speaker, and for English speakers in general, there should be no real problem in reading the texts if studying the Puritans is what you want to do. So please, be patient, though it is not a hard process, it will take a little time. I am thinking 3-4 months. Now here is the kicker, people will have to want this database, because it may very well be over 100 personal books, if not more. But, it is also going to be awesome for Puritan research. Just thought I would like to share to let yall know this is in the works, and Lord Willing, will come to fruition. I will try and get it posted to LogosWiki in the "user created books" section when completed. To see the first two volumes, go to this link https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1O1KNlLuRQuVucLRNL7Tiwe7NldD1763k?usp=sharing . One of the volumes has like 150 errors, but that is do to text resizing, it still builds and is fully functional. This will give you a good idea of what it is going to look like when completed. This will be a free resource available as Personal Book, available to all. And it will remain in the Public Domain as the source material already is I am using to create it. Yall have a great day, and God Bless. 

Posts 1048
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 30 2021 7:51 AM

That sounds like an amazing and loving effort. I'll keep my ear to the ground on your progress!

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:20 AM

Hello all. Quick update. I have completed the volumes for T. Adams - R. Baxter pt.2. It is 10 volumes, at 23,000 pages long so far. I expect this resource to easily reach 100 volumes, so you might want to start uploading them as personal books as we progress. All volumes have been tested, and uploaded into Logos. Will continue to update as we go. Hope everybody is doing good, God Bless. The above link is no longer valid. This is the new valid link.     https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Nl1Bh33Muq6xOgKjC6biKa5vOUgs-Uyd?usp=sharing

Posts 926
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 7:58 AM

Thanks David, I appreciate your hard work.

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 8:19 PM

Update 1/3/22 10:17pm.

12 volumes complete. Adams - Baxter pt.4

29,000 pages

disregard former links.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1I2DE4xlr-CmvS_U6NNhmVPS5mvn4Ej4M?usp=sharing

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 4:57 AM

David Jonescue:
   29,000 pages   

And that is why the Personal Book Builder is one of the best tools in Logos / FL.   It allows "us" to add books that FL will never add.

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 12:54 PM

Thank you everybody who has replied for the kind words and encouragement. And yes, Mr . Ames, I agree absolutely. This project would be really tough, if not impossible for Logos to do and still hold themselves to their standard of formatting. Consider, just the first 50 Puritans out of 245 or so, consists of 750+ works, and just the first 15 authors have accumulated almost 30,000 pages. That would be a lot of text for the people at Logos to perfectly format. But the awesome thing with the ability to create Personal Books, is the ability to share what we create if there is no copyright issue; and to create things that do not have to be perfectly formatted. And plus the ease in which Logos made creating them is such a huge bonus; that almost anybody can do so.

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 5:18 AM

David Jonescue:

And yes, Mr . Ames, I agree absolutely. This project would be really tough, if not impossible for Logos to do (...)  But the awesome thing with the ability to create Personal Books, (...) and to create things that do not have to be perfectly formatted. And plus the ease in which Logos made creating them is such a huge bonus; that almost anybody can do so.

"that almost anybody can do so"  If it is formatted in WORD then the PBB will be readable. And Yes, anyone can do it. What we all can not do is add the tagging and cross references. But we can add something to our library that can be added to our searches.  And then we learn how to add the extras! 

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 7:33 AM

I think I saw in the Personal Book creation page in Logos Wiki how to do the tagging and cross references; but with this collection, it is impossible for me to do so. But what I do like about its general search capabilities is I can put all these volumes within a collection; then search that collection; and because the authors are indexed, for example Isaac Ambrose would be P-IA-1., P-IA-2., etc; P standing for Puritan, IA standing for Isaac Ambrose, and the number differentiating the titles under that authors heading; is do a search for P-IA and it will come back with all the titles for that author. Or, if I just type in "love" it will return every place love is mentioned in the entire collection; and what makes Logos great, is it will not only return where that word is located; but it will let you know, on the side, how many times that word is mentioned within that title; so I can isolate the texts with it mentioned the most. And of course scripture search; which, unfortunately this being archaic format, some scriptures are not linked automatically by Logos upon conversion, but, once one gets to know the index, and see the way they abbreviated scripture, one could type in Matt., or Pet., or Marke, and get a return of every place that is mentioned; and, how many times in the text. So yes, I am really looking forward to getting these all in one place; even if it isnt as great as it would be if Logos created the collection; but because Logos has created this awesome tool in the Personal Book function, it takes this library of text sitting in EEBO, and opens all types of Puritan research in Logos.

Posts 682
Stephen Steele | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2022 7:07 AM

This sounds such a great project - thank you!

Maybe I'm missing it, but at this point is there an index anywhere of all the authors/works?

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2022 1:45 PM

Stephen Steele:

This sounds such a great project - thank you!

Maybe I'm missing it, but at this point is there an index anywhere of all the authors/works?

Thank you. No there isnt an official index of all the authors or titles, yet. I am still debating if there is going to be a need for them since Logos does a great job of searching and showing the titles in a regular search query. The authors are the 245 or so Puritan Authors listed on the website "A Puritans Mind," in the "Puritans Bio" section. It is really the only official type list I could find, and will be the basis for the collection. As far as author specific titles, I do not know the number or titles of the collection yet, as I am going 50 authors at a time. It will consist of what ever EEBO-Public Domain has available for each author. I am doing it 50 authors at a time, because in my first 50 authors I have over 750 works, this will probably be close to 40 2,000-3,000 page volumes of titles; and this would allow people to download the titles and create their own personal books, while I work on the next 50. I dont search EEBO for the authors titles until I start to collect the group of 50, as EEBO is a trusted site, and there isnt really any reason to worry that they will not be there when I make it to a specific author. I created a quick bibliography in Zotero for the titles of the authors I have so far. It came out as titles in alphabetical order, instead of authors in alphabetical order, as each title wasnt specifically tagged to do so. But they will be indexed and in last name alphabetical order in the finished volumes for the Logos Personal books. I apologize for taking so long to respond, I was at work. The link to that title list is below, This includes the titles, from the first 50 authors (out of 245+) that will be in the first round (out of 5) of volumes.
 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HO0hCRLXKn9w74Scglwr-6OokA5QZFk2/view?usp=sharing

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 9:45 AM

update 1/7/22

Hello all. I have completed 16 volumes now, at close to 40,000 pages. This covers Adams - Blake. Please disregard former links to volumes. The present link to download all volumes is https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10yUM3Ni83ADI03PX-QNh2nUXHusUNZJ4?usp=sharing

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 8:14 PM

Update 1/8/22

Hello all. I have completed 20 volumes. Adams - Brooks. Roughly 50,000 pages. The link to those volumes are below. I figured out how to add files to my Google Drive folder, so the link shouldnt change from now on. If you have it, you can keep it and just check it periodically for additional volumes. I am averaging about 2 volumes per day, and 10-15 days per 25 authors. Since there are 250+ authors, I am hoping to have this done in about 5 months, Lord Willing, Hope everybody is having a great day or evening. God Bless. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10yUM3Ni83ADI03PX-QNh2nUXHusUNZJ4?usp=sharing

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 5:59 AM

I can only imagine how much work this must be. And when it is done, what wealth! 

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 10:38 AM

GaoLu:

I can only imagine how much work this must be. And when it is done, what wealth! 

One would kind of think that right? But honestly, EEBO (and the TCP) and Logos have done all the really hard work. Like I was telling someone else, all I am really doing is something other than watching TV with my time. It mainly consists of search and link, which Zotero makes a snap. Then going to that link once 50 authors worth of works are linked, and copy and pasting that work into Word, then to the next 50 authors. The index of the works within the PB is not that complicated, and since Logos has made creating them a breeze, especially with the ease of using the headers within the book, it is more tedious (but in a good way) than anything. It is basically the same 4 or 5 steps, 1000's of times until completion. But what you said is what is really driving me; that is, the wealth of scriptural and spiritual knowledge contained in those pages. So I pray the Lord gives me the ability to persist, and by his will, I can see this project through. I think it will be something really awesome; and what makes it more awesome is since these are public domain works; there is no restriction in sharing them, and since these should be able to become a "Puritan Index" if you will, just by utilizing the volumes and the free Logos Basic; hopefully it will bring a lot of people to Logos, who possibly may have been hesitant at first, even if it is to just take advantage of this index to begin with.

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 10 2022 9:44 PM

update 1/10/22

24 volumes now complete, about 57,000 pages, Adams - Burroughs pt.1 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10yUM3Ni83ADI03PX-QNh2nUXHusUNZJ4?usp=sharing

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 8:15 PM

Update 1/15/22

30 volumes complete. Adams - Caryl pt.1.  About 70,000 pages. The link is below.

Posts 2254
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 15 2022 9:35 PM

Thanks, David for sharing.

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 24 2022 6:59 AM

Update 1/24/22

40 volumes complete Adams - Doolittle  About 90,000 pages.

Posts 39
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 26 2022 12:03 AM

Update 1/26/22

45 volumes complete - Just reached 100,000 pages (yay!.) Had to go back starting at volume 44 and create "supplemental volumes" to include previously unknown Puritan authors. I was originally using the list from "A Puritans Mind" bios. Then I came across "Meet the Puritans," and Brooks "Lives of the Puritans" 3 vol. Since I was only on "D" in alphabetical last name range, I just backtracked and am creating volumes to "catch up." This will have no bearing once they are in Logos since 99% of people will not be reading them as a collective of books; but as a research tool to do deep dives in Puritan specific literature. My author count jumped from 250 potential, to about 650 potential; but I am finding that quite a few did not publish anything, or, are not listed on EEBO-Public Domain. But, on the other hand, many I did not previously have, are. Each author has a specific index tag, so regardless where they are introduced (vol. 2 or 22) they can still be isolated by name, or specific tag (which brings up all the titles under that tag in general search.) No biggy; just trucking away. There is a constant warning that comes up in many, due to the way EEBO creates some of the texts, and that is "could not determine margin length" or something like that. It has no real bearing on the creation of books except they will display like the do in EEBO, taking up only as much space as they were created instead of "justifying" to a combined space. Well, hope this blesses yall. Will continue updates as I progress.

Page 1 of 2 (34 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS