Personal Book Project in the Works - Look out for it. (Complete EEBO - Puritan Collection)

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 33 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 4
Brett white | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 11 2022 1:38 PM

David Jonescue:

Update 1/26/22

45 volumes complete - Just reached 100,000 pages (yay!.) Had to go back starting at volume 44 and create "supplemental volumes" to include previously unknown Puritan authors. I was originally using the list from "A Puritans Mind" bios. Then I came across "Meet the Puritans," and Brooks "Lives of the Puritans" 3 vol. Since I was only on "D" in alphabetical last name range, I just backtracked and am creating volumes to "catch up." This will have no bearing once they are in Logos since 99% of people will not be reading them as a collective of books; but as a research tool to do deep dives in Puritan specific literature. My author count jumped from 250 potential, to about 650 potential; but I am finding that quite a few did not publish anything, or, are not listed on EEBO-Public Domain. But, on the other hand, many I did not previously have, are. Each author has a specific index tag, so regardless where they are introduced (vol. 2 or 22) they can still be isolated by name, or specific tag (which brings up all the titles under that tag in general search.) No biggy; just trucking away. There is a constant warning that comes up in many, due to the way EEBO creates some of the texts, and that is "could not determine margin length" or something like that. It has no real bearing on the creation of books except they will display like the do in EEBO, taking up only as much space as they were created instead of "justifying" to a combined space. Well, hope this blesses yall. Will continue updates as I progress.

Can we add them now or do we wait until you are done? Not sure how to add so many.

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 12:13 AM

Would just like everyone to know I am still at this work, and as of today, I am up to the 83rd volume, and at about 175,000 pages of text. So far, I have from Adams to Howe. I will continue to keep trucking, Lord willing. The volumes can be accessed using the link already posted previously (trying to avoid spam alert by not posting every time.) I have covered about 200 Puritans so far, and I am only on H from A-Z alphabetically. Hope everyone is doing good, God Bless.

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 12:17 AM

Brett white:

David Jonescue:

Update 1/26/22

45 volumes complete - Just reached 100,000 pages (yay!.) Had to go back starting at volume 44 and create "supplemental volumes" to include previously unknown Puritan authors. I was originally using the list from "A Puritans Mind" bios. Then I came across "Meet the Puritans," and Brooks "Lives of the Puritans" 3 vol. Since I was only on "D" in alphabetical last name range, I just backtracked and am creating volumes to "catch up." This will have no bearing once they are in Logos since 99% of people will not be reading them as a collective of books; but as a research tool to do deep dives in Puritan specific literature. My author count jumped from 250 potential, to about 650 potential; but I am finding that quite a few did not publish anything, or, are not listed on EEBO-Public Domain. But, on the other hand, many I did not previously have, are. Each author has a specific index tag, so regardless where they are introduced (vol. 2 or 22) they can still be isolated by name, or specific tag (which brings up all the titles under that tag in general search.) No biggy; just trucking away. There is a constant warning that comes up in many, due to the way EEBO creates some of the texts, and that is "could not determine margin length" or something like that. It has no real bearing on the creation of books except they will display like the do in EEBO, taking up only as much space as they were created instead of "justifying" to a combined space. Well, hope this blesses yall. Will continue updates as I progress.

Can we add them now or do we wait until you are done? Not sure how to add so many.

Sorry, I didnt know you messaged. Yes, feel free to add them now. You would add them like any other Personal Book. You will receive about 6 errors each time having to do with fonts, and the warning amounts will vary, but 99.99% of the time have to do with "cant determine margin length" or "article is too long consider shortening." I have tested every volume though and they all convert. The margin thing happens because EEBO sometimes formats their books according to how they were written, so it will be like half a page in rows down, instead of taking up the entire page. But they still work fine in Logos. The main goal is to get them in Logos so they become fully searchable by verse, phrase, keyword, and title. Please reach out with any questions and I will be happy to answer. God Bless.

Posts 109
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 3:50 AM

You are aware that a lot of Richard Baxter works are already available in Logos? See https://www.logos.com/search?query=richard%20baxter&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe

I think one of the conditions of sharing PB files is that we’re not supposed to share files that are already available in Logos.  

Edit: there’s also the Puritan Ultimate Collection: https://www.logos.com/product/184356/puritan-ultimate-collection

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 11:05 AM

GregW:

You are aware that a lot of Richard Baxter works are already available in Logos? See https://www.logos.com/search?query=richard%20baxter&sortBy=Relevance&limit=60&page=1&ownership=all&geographicAvailability=availableToMe

I think one of the conditions of sharing PB files is that we’re not supposed to share files that are already available in Logos.  

Edit: there’s also the Puritan Ultimate Collection: https://www.logos.com/product/184356/puritan-ultimate-collection

Thank you for your response. While I am well aware that some of the authors in this collection have already been published by Logos, it is a small fraction compared to the amount that will be in this collection. Also there is a contrast to the collection that makes it very doubtful Logos is threatened in any way. The first being that the published works by Logos are perfectly formatted and linked as all of their official resources are; these are not. For those who want to read some of the Puritans leisurely, their distributions will still be first pick. Secondly, even their Ultimate Puritan Collection, which I already own, has the works of about 15 Puritans. In the collection I am creating, I am on my 200th or so Puritan and not even half-way done. There is really no comparison, and there is no competition, for those who want to read the Puritans leisurely. The collection I am creating is for Puritan research. It is for pastors, students, scholars, and laymen who want to find what the entirety of Puritan thought is on an issue, to the best of our ability; using already accessible and free resources. This collection will allow people who use it to mine 1000's of works, specifically in the Puritan genre for results on topical or scriptural references. To my knowledge, this simply cant be done anywhere else. Baxter is included, and others of the few Puritans Logos has published, because you cannot have a "complete" Puritan collection (within the confines of what EEBO offers) without including them, and, many of these same authors in this collection include works Logos doesn't offer. If you go to the User Contributed Books section in Logos Wiki, most of the books offered there, Logos already has an official release for, and there is no place, that I have found stating we cannot produce works they have already produced as long as there is no copyright issue. Again, Logos is not threatened by us making resources out of the limited public domain, non-copyrighted books out there; their official releases are second to none. With that being said, Logos, in their wisdom, is never going to spend all the money, and resources it would take to do an official distro of the entirety of works of 400 or so Puritans. Think about it, as of now I am at almost 200,000 pages of unformatted text and not even half-way done. Puritan research is still a fringe collective within broader evangelicalism at the current moment; there simply isn't an audience to justify Logos doing this themselves. And if they did, comparing the cost of the works of the 15 or so authors within their "Ultimate Puritan Collection" at over $1000, the collection I am creating would probably be $10,000 - $20,000 or more comparatively, if they took the time to format and link them all; well outside most if any Christians spending range. And they would deserve it. But, for us who enjoy them, this Collection that I am creating will, I hope, be a God send as it will assist in research and sermon prep for those who glean wisdom from the Puritans. This collection is not really ideal for general reading; though it can be used for that, but it is still in archaic language, and still has errors. It is mainly for research. Typing in say "justification" and seeing the collective thought of 100's of Puritans who referenced it. Again, there is no rule that I know of that says we cant produce or share books that Logos has, and in comparison to the complete collection I am creating (which is basically a research index) the works they do have are a miniscule fraction of the whole. Thank you for your concern, and have a great day. God Bless.   

Posts 35777
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 2:25 PM

David Jonescue:
Also there is a contrast to the collection that makes it very doubtful Logos is threatened in any way

The question is not one of threat but one of respect and honesty. I would have no objection to Faithlife periodically setting all files duplicating their resources to permanent private.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 3:05 PM

GregW:

Anywhere that you can point to this condition, as I never recall any limitation on Public Domain resources being converted to Personal Books and or shared with the Logos Community, whether Logos offers a version or not.... The only restriction I recall was solely related to works still under Copyright and not in the Public Domain.

I also checked with Logos Customer Service and they are not aware of any such condition/restriction.

Posts 738
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 3:09 PM

MJ. Smith:

David Jonescue:
Also there is a contrast to the collection that makes it very doubtful Logos is threatened in any way

The question is not one of threat but one of respect and honesty. I would have no objection to Faithlife periodically setting all files duplicating their resources to permanent private.

I'm trying to understand this statement....

Are you insinuating that David is acting in a disrespectful and or dishonest way because he is working on this project?

Faithlife has not limited the sharing of Personal Books created from Public Domain resources because they have them available for sale in their format, pretty sure the Wiki has links to a number of Public Domain works that are sold in Logos format - Resources not in the Public Domain has been the restricted realm.

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2022 3:46 PM

David Jonescue: "Also there is a contrast to the collection that makes it very doubtful Logos is threatened in any way"
M.J. Smith:  "The question is not one of threat but one of respect and honesty. I would have no objection to Faithlife periodically setting all files duplicating their resources to permanent private."

I can see your point. But I in no way view it as disrespect. First, because anybody themselves can take any public domain work, OCR it, and create a Personal Book out of it. Secondly, because this collection is dealing with non-tagged, non-linked, and unformatted text. If you are insinuating that Logos may feel disrespected because someone shares something they also offer; I doubt it; I think they would embrace it because it may very well be a project someone has completed, or one like mine that gets people on board with Logos with no risk involved. If Logos was all about the money; which I in no way believe they are; they wouldn't offer their engine for free in the form of Basic, nor would they make creating Personal Books possible. There is a segment of Christianity that are pretty wrapped up in the Puritans, Logos really doesn't offer much in that regard. What I am creating is the opportunity for a fully searchable Puritan Index, that has 1000's of works from 100's of Puritans that is stocked free via the Personal Books, and made possible by the free engine Logos offers. I believe many people will download Logos just for that. Then I also believe, after seeing the awesomeness of Logos with Unformatted Personal Books, they will become fans of Logos like all of us are, and they will start adding fee based resources as they can afford it. That isn't my main drive, but that is what I believe will happen. Again, anybody can access online, for free, all of the works I am creating in the Personal Books; but what many cant, or wont do is have the time to bring it all together into a single collection to specifically search the broad spectrum of the Puritan genre. Like someone mentioned, there is no prohibition on creating or sharing of Personal Books created from the Public Domain, and if someone wants to leisurely read the Puritans, as opposed to researching them; then Logos resources are still the place to go. Utilizing EEBO takes a little work. But just like those who see no problem struggling with original languages; when so many translators have done a great job already; people who are really into the Puritans will have little trouble dealing with the errors or archaic language. Thank you for your concern, but we will just have to agree to disagree on this. And since it is a free  and optional resource, downloading it is optional, so you don't have to download it if you don't want to. Thank you and have a great day. God Bless.  

Posts 5080
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2022 8:02 PM

Thank you for this. Is their an index? 

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 11 2022 8:36 PM

Mattillo:

Thank you for this. Is their an index? 

Hello. You are very welcome. I dont have a "clean" index at this moment, or one that is presentable. I was going to save that until the project is complete; because creating one with at the moment 2430+ works, and only half-way done, is a task in itself. What I did do, since I am using Zotero for my organization of this project, is create a bibliography of the works I have so far, that includes their links in EEBO. They unfortunately are not in order, this I do on my end, but it will give you an idea of what is in it so far. As of right now, I have done Adams thru Humphrey, but I have linked to Zotero thru Love. This covers about 245 Puritans so far. For the next two days I have to go to work, but am taking an 8 day vacation next Mon-Tues; so I am trying to link as many as I can during these next couple days, so I can just breeze through creating the volumes without having to stop and link to works during my vacation. I quickly research each name to make sure they are in fact a Puritan, or were included within that realm in good light, then I link the works. Below is a link to the bibliography I created for you of the works included in this collection so far. It is about 255 pages long I believe. And like I mentioned, the links included in the PDF should take you right to the work in EEBO. Hope this helps. I plan on creating an index, but I want it look good so it will be done in the future. God Bless. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TbFwrzDWJhGugJsg4BJSnlURlWoGxQt2/view?usp=sharing

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 23 2022 10:41 PM

Hello all. Would like to let everyone know there are now 100 volumes completed. The volumes so far cover about 260 different Puritans ranging from Thomas Adams to John Murcot. Altogether there are about 2,745 works covered in 210,000 pages of text so far. These will have to be uploaded as Personal Books. I will include the link to the folder with the DOCX.'s below. I am half-way done now both alphabetically, and with my list of names. My goal is to create a "complete Puritan database" using EEBO's public domain texts, created from 16th and 17th century facsimiles, to be used within Logos, (with its awesome search capabilities) using the list of Puritans included in Brooks 3 vol. "Lives of the Puritans." Beeke & Pedersons "Meet the Puritans," and APM's "Puritan Bio's List." All 3 of those combined rendered about 600 distinct names in which I go through to assure that they were considered Puritans, Non-Conformists, and/or sympathetic to the Puritan Movement; and to see if EEBO has any of their works. Lord willing I will continue to work on these as I have done, and will try to get the collection on Logos Wiki once completed. Feel free to keep the link, as all future volumes will be upload to the same spot as they progress.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/10yUM3Ni83ADI03PX-QNh2nUXHusUNZJ4?usp=sharing

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 24 2022 4:47 AM

Thanks David. I appreciate your hard work on this project.

Posts 50
David Jonescue | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 9 2022 6:57 PM

Hello everyone, its been a minute so I would like to give an update. As of right now the Collection is at 121 volumes from Adams to Rutherford. I have linked the remaining works in Zotero so now all I have to do is go back and create the volumes; and then an index. Out of 650 or so potential Puritans, I was able to find in EEBO's public domain catalogue; works for about 425-450 Puritans, which total  4,688 distinct works. I also learned a trick to isolate the authors within the collection, to search within distinct authors instead of the entire collection; that is <P-author code> "keyword", so for example <P-JJ2> "faith" would return all the places faith is mentioned in the works of John James, then go to "Search Result" and scroll through where it is included within each individual work of that author. This can be done for keywords, scripture, phrases, etc. Below is a list of the authors that will eventually be included. I am only up to Rutherford as of today. The link to the files is in this forum, I dont want to repost it and get hit with spam. Keep that link as all future files will be there, until completion and hopefully being posted on Personal Books in LogosWiki. If you dont see a Puritan you know, chances are EEBO doesnt have it, but feel free to let me know and I will check. None of these were taken from EEBO's Proquest copyrighted catalogue, but only the text in the public domain available to all online. God bless. Also, a special thanks to those on the forum who have been an encouragement during this process. It really helps.

Thomas Adams – Henry Ainsworth – Joseph Alleine – Richard Allestree – Isaac Ambrose – William Ames – Timothy Armitage – John Arrowsmith – Simeon Ashe – Bartholomew Ashwood – William Attersoll – Robert Baillie – John Ball – William Bates – Richard Baxter – Lewis Bayly – Paul Bayne – Hugh Binning – Thomas Blake – Robert Bolton – Samuel Bolton – John Bond – Oliver Bowles – Nicholas Bowd – William Bridge – John Brinsley – Thomas Brooks – Ralph Brownrig – John Bunyan – Cornelius Burges – Anthony Burgess – Daniel Burgess – Jeremiah Burroughs – Henry Burton – Adoniram Byfield – Nicholas Byfield – Richard Byfield – Edward Calamy – Archibald Campbell – John Campbell – Richard Capel – John Carter – Thomas Carter – William Carter – Thomas Cartwright – Joseph Caryl – Thomas Case – Daniel Cawdry – Thomas Cawton – Humphrey Chambers – Stephen Charnock – Nicholas Cheney – Francis Cheynell – Nicholas Clagett – Samuel Clarke – Robert Cleaver – Thomas Cobbet – Thomas Coleman – John Cook – Edward Corbet – John Cotton – Walter Cradock – Zachary Crofton – Samuel Crossman – Ezekiel Culverwell – Arthur Dent – Edward Dering – David Dickson – John Dod – Thomas Doolittle – John Downame – Calybute Downing – John Durant – James Durham – John Dury – Robert Abbot – Henry Airay – John Allin – Vincent Alsop – John Angel – Henry Archer – William Aspinwall – Robert Asty – Sir Richard Baker – John Bale – Edward Barber – Praise-God Barebone – Randal Bate – Thomas Beard – Thomas Bacon – Sebastian Benefield – John Boys – William Bradshaw – Anne Bradstreet – Thomas Brewer – Thomas Brightman – Hugh Broughton – Peter Bulkly – Edmund Bunny – Francis Bunny – William Burton – John Canne – Mary Cary – Robert Cawdrey – William Charke – Charles Chauncey – Abraham Cheare – David Clarkson – Richard Clifton – Elisha Coles – William Cooper – Francis Cornwell – Miles Coverdale – Benjamin Cox – James Cranford – Samuel Crook – Robert Crowley – John Darrell – Nicholas Darton – John Davenport – Henry Denne – Robert Dingley – Daniel Dyke – Jeremiah Dyke – Samuel Danforth – John Earle – Thomas Edwards – John Eedes – Stephen Egerton – Christopher Elderfield – John Eliot – Christopher Feake – Daniel Featley – Humphrey Fenn – Dudley Fenner – John Field – Nathaniel Fiennes – Edward Fisher – John Fisk – John Flavel – John Forbes – Thomas Ford – John Foxcroft – John Foxe – John Frewen – John Frost – William Fulke – Thomas Fuller – Hannibal Gammon – Thomas Gattaker – Richard Gawton – William Gearing – Edward Gee – John Gee – John Geree – Stephen Geree – Samuel Gibson – George Gifford – Anthony Gilby – Alexander Gill – George Gillespie – Richard Gilpin – John Glynne – Christopher Goodman – Thomas Goodwin – Thomas Gouge – William Gouge – Stanley Gower – John Graile – Thomas Grantham – Andrew Gray – John Green – Richard Greenham – William Greenhill – Henry Greenwood – John Green Greenwood – Obadiah Grew – Alexander Gross – John Gumbleden – William Gurnall – John Hacket – Thomas hall – Henry Hammond – Humphrey Hardwicke – Nathaniel Hardy – Robert Harris – Michael Harrison – Thomas Helwys – Alexander Henderson – Matthew Henry – Charles Herle – Arthur Hesilrige – Richard Heyrick – Oliver Heywood – Gasper Hickes – Samuel Hieron – Francis Higginson – Arthur Hildersham – Robert Hill – Thomas Hill – William Hinde – Thomas Hodges – Richard Holdsworth – Thomas Holland – Nathaniel Homes – William Hooke – Thomas Hooker – Ezekiel Hopkins – John Howe – Joshua Hoyle – William Hubbock – Alexander Hume – Lawrence Humphrey – John Jackson – Henry Jacob – Samuel Jacomb – Thomas Jacomb – John James – James Janeway – William Jeffery – William Jemmat – William Jenkyn – Edward Johnson – Francis Johnson – Thomas Jollie – Benjamin Keach – John Kettlewell – Andrew Kingsmill – John Knewstubs – Hanserd Knollys – John Knox – Thomas Lamb – John Langley – Edward Lawrence – Henry Lawrence – Samuel Lee – Edward Leigh – Alexander Leighton – Thomas Lever – John Ley- John Lightfoot – Edmund Littleton – Christopher Love – Richard Love – Robert Mandevill – Thomas Manton – Edward Marbury – Stephen Marshall – Walter Marshall – Cotton Mather – Increase Mather – Richard Mather – Samuel Mather – John Maynard – Matthew Mead – Joseph Mede – William Mew – Robert Midgley – John Milton – Thomas Mockett – Edward Montagu – Stephen More – Peter Du Moulin – John Murcot – William Negus – Christopher Ness – Henry Newcome – Matthew Newcomen – Thomas Newhouse – George Newton – Josias Nichols – William Nicholson  - John Norton – James Noyes – Philip Nye – John Owen – John Oxenbridge – Thomas Paget – Eusebius Pagit – Ephraim Pagitt – Herbert Palmer – Robert Parker – Thomas Parker – Thomas Patient – Edward Pearse – William Pemble – John Pendarves – Henry Pendlebury – John Penry – William Perkins – Andrew Perne – Hugh Peters – Samuel Petto – George Philips – John Philips – Benjamin Pickering – William Pierrepont – William Pinke – Edward Polhill – Mathew Poole – Gabriel Powel – John Preston – William Price – John Prime – Nicholas Proffet – John Rainolds – Henry Ramsden – Petrus Ramus – John Randall – Nathaniel Ranew – William Rathband – Richard Resbury – Edward Reynolds – Robert Rich – Francis Roberts – John Robinson – Ralph Robinson – Henry Roborough – Ezekiel Rogers – John Rogers – Nathaniel Rogers – Nehemiah Rogers – Richard Rogers – Timothy rogers – Francis Rous – Benjamin Rudyerd – Samuel Rutherford – Thomas Sampson – William Sandbrooke – Robert Sanderson – William Sclater – Henry Scougal – Henry Scudder – Lazarus Seaman – Obediah Sedgwick – Samuel Sewall – Thomas Shepard – John Shower – Josias Shute – Richard Sibbes – George Sikes – John Simpson – Peter Smart – Henry Smith – John Smyth – William Spurstowe – Edmund Staunton – Richard Steele Peter Sterry – Oliver St. John – Richard Stock – Solomon Stoddard – Samuel Stone – John Stoughton – John Strickland – William Strode – William Strong – Lewis Stuckley – George Swinnock – Cuthbert Sydenham – Matthew Sylvester – Joseph Symonds – Richard Taverner – Francis Taylor – Thomas Taylor – Thomas Temple – William Thomas – Thomas Thorowgood – Job Throgmorton – Henry Tozer – Robert Trail – John Trapp – Walter Travers – Francis Trigge – George Trosse – Anthony Tuckney – William Turner – William Twisse – John Udall – James Ussher – Thomas Valentine – Henry Vane – Thomas Venner – Ralph Venning – John Vicars – Nathaniel Vincent – Thomas Vincent – Richard Vines – George Walker – John Wallis – Nathaniel Ward – Samuel Ward – Thomas Watson – John Weemes – Thomas Westfield – William Whateley – Francis Whiddon – William Whitaker – John White – Thomas White – Henry Whitfield – Samuel Whiting – Jeremiah Whittaker – William Whittingham – Michael Wigglesworth – Robert Wild – John Wilde – Henry Wilkinson Sr. – Henry Wilkinson Jr. – Henry (dean) Wilkinson – Samuel Willard – Andrew Willet – Roger Williams – John Wilson – Thomas Wilson – John Winthrop – George Wither (clergy) – George Wither (poet) – Benjamin Woodbridge – Francis Woodcock – Giles Workman – Anthony Wotton – John Yates – Richard Bernard – John Bradford – David Calderwood – John Collinges – Edward Elton – George Estey – James Ferguson – George Hutcheson – Arthur Jackson – Hugh Latimer – Matthew Lawrence – Robert Leighton – John Mayer – Daniel Mayo – Richard Mayo – Peter Muffet – James Nalton – Alexander Nisbet – Elnathan Parr – Thomas Pierson – William Prynne – John Quick – Edward Reyner – Nicholas Ridley – Robert Rollock – Samuel Slater – Samuel Smith- Edward Stillingfleet – John Tillotson – Daniel Williams

Page 2 of 2 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS