ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible Question

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8939
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 1 2022 5:20 PM

Are the notes on the ESV systematic theology study Bible too short for each book or is it just my mind playing games on me?

I just purchased this and I don’t see anything else other than a short introduction and a brief theological topic that supposedly appears in each book. It doesn’t contain any notes on each verse or section of Scriptures like other study Bibles do and it was the more expensive one out of the 4 I bought. I’ll keep the others, but I’ll definitely return this one since it literally had nothing to offer compared to other Study Bibles I own.

DAL

Posts 5047
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2022 6:22 PM

It only comments on chunks of scripture it feels relevant to systematic theology. Bible notes wise it is shorter but it does have a bunch of articles at the end. 

Posts 8939
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2022 6:28 PM

Mattillo:

It only comments on chunks of scripture it feels relevant to systematic theology. Bible notes wise it is shorter but it does have a bunch of articles at the end. 

Thanks for pointing that out about the articles! I’ll check them out to see if it’s worth keeping it 👍

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 1 2022 9:08 PM

I watch youtube videos about the hardcopy version so I know what to look for in the ebook version.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 9:38 AM

DAL 

The ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible is fantastic. I got the systematic theology study Bible when we were going through systematic theology and church. It was a great resource to have them and I love reading it now. The ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible does not include any Dispensational Theologians which means, necessarily, that I will have disagreements with the Eschatology and any Israelology that you may find. However, this does not mean that I would discard it off hand. In fact, I would say that I am in agreement with probably 95% of the supplemental material that you will find here.  As a student and teacher of systematic theology for many years, I am delighted with the approach, format, consistency, and thoroughness in this Bible. Although the articles and sidebars are brief, there is much more here than meets the eye. The substance of them is truly remarkable. I am actually teaching directly from this Bible with amazing results and with more effectiveness by witnessing spiritual transformation in the lives of the students. Following the chain of references for each theological sidebar opens up depths of Biblical revelation that far exceed other standard study Bibles.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 9:39 AM

Right now I am teaching a virtual Bible study on Systematic theology and this is my primary Bible.

Posts 1012
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 10:19 AM

The following is an excellent book on Systematic Theology. Had one of the dead tree copies for many years and gleemed from it mucho!  Wish it was in Logos... Huh?

The following is copied from the internet....

"Systematic Theology, Rex A. Turner, Sr.

If I were to suggest a book that should be read by every Christian, this would be one of the first ones. The book covers a broad range of topics on theology in a scholarly manner. Concerning Systematic Theology, the Spiritual Sword gave the following review:

...this book is a survey of significant biblical themes. Beginning with a discussion of inspiration of the Bible, it proceeds through a study of authorship of the first five books of the Old Testament, the supposed priority of the gospel of Mark, the attributes of God, the doctrine of Satan, the nature of man, the virgin birth, the death and sufferings of Christ, the nature of the church, and numerous other topics of vital concern. It is one of the most valuable books available for a serious study of biblical truth.Idea

One of my concerns is that some in the church fail to understand that “educated” men make mistakes. There are numerous instances when you have two highly degreed men on the opposite sides of an issue. Some do not have an understanding of the implications of certain “facts” that they read. For example, if someone says “Scholars believe that Mark was written before the other gospels.” Would we question that? Is it even important? Some may teach that Mark was written first and have no other implication in mind; however, there is a large group of religious scholars that do not respect the inspiration of the Bible and the dates of the completion of the gospel is one of their places of attack. Rex Turner explains the liberals attack on the inspiration of the gospels:"

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 11:55 AM

xnman:
For example, if someone says “Scholars believe that Mark was written before the other gospels.” Would we question that?

Yes, my rancher Dad who was a elder taught me to question everything AND to argue both sides of an issue. While it is true that scholars believe that Mark was written before other gospels it is not true that ALL scholars believe that Mark was written before other gospels. The most common error I run into in Bible interpretation is the insertion of ALL or ONLY when it is not in the text.

Some people are gullible. Period. Whether thinking of scholars, great orators, or charismatic leaders.

xnman:
Is it even important?

Religiously it is irrelevant; academic it is an interesting and relevant question.

xnman:
religious scholars that do not respect the inspiration of the Bible and the dates of the completion of the gospel is one of their places of attack.

Methinks there is confusion here. Scholars of religions should be belief neutral which is why in religious studies non-believers are often the better scholars. Religious scholars working with in a religious college/university/seminary should reflect the beliefs of the religious group they claim to support. All such scholars are assumed to be biased when one is reading them. Some religious groups encourage their religious scholars to be more similar to scholars of religions, others less so.

xnman:
Rex Turner explains the liberals attack on the inspiration of the gospels:"

Don't knock the liberals as a whole. That is a huge misrepresentation of the issue. Some liberals (and some moderates and some conservative) question the inspiration of the Gospels. especially as some groups define inspiration. "Attack"?!!! is a reasoned debate or alternative view an attack? Not in my book.

This is why I want to see a broader selection of books that present uncomfortable views such as Jesus and John Wayne, Ehrman, Pagels, Robinson, ... we can't respond intelligently to materials we don't know..

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 462
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 12:48 PM

DAL, please tell me how exactly you use this resource in Logos. Do you link it to your Bible or perhaps read this resource and follow links into your Bible? What is your workflow as you seek to systematically study the Bible?

Also, have you noticed a large number of typos? Extra spaces within words?

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 2:31 PM

John you will benefit from these articles. https://www.logos.com/how-to/bible-study-tools https://www.logos.com/how-to-study-the-bible Yes I did notice the typos within this book. I use this book alongside Wayne Grudem's work. 

Posts 8939
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 3:01 PM

John C Connell Jr.:

DAL, please tell me how exactly you use this resource in Logos. Do you link it to your Bible or perhaps read this resource and follow links into your Bible? What is your workflow as you seek to systematically study the Bible?

Also, have you noticed a large number of typos? Extra spaces within words?

-john

Nothing special in my workflow.  I just add it to my custom passage guide that only includes 1 volume Bible Commentaries and Study Bibles.  With this custom guide I can get quick access to what “the little guys” have to say instead of consulting my big guns 💪 technical commentaries and full passage guide results. I use it for devotional purposes, but I’ve been able to put full classes and sermons together with them.  The ESV Systematic Theology Study Bible is just a little different, but I may end up keeping it for the quick reference articles it has.  Most resources have typos now days, some will get fixed others might not, you just have to get used to them. 

DAL

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS