Research base

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 2 2022 2:33 PM

The Gospel of Mark was evidently Peter’s Gospel as it was recorded by Mark, perhaps not until after the death of Peter, which is according to several of the earliest Church Fathers. I believe that Mark is the John Mark of Acts chapter 12, and the relative of Barnabas whom was also known to Paul. He is not explicitly mentioned in Scripture before Acts chapter 12, although it is suspected by some, including myself, that he may have been the young man who fled naked at the garden of Gethsemane, mentioned in Mark 14:51-52. Mark was with Peter much later in his ministry, which is seen in 1 Peter 5. I also have reason to believe that Peter’s epistles were written after Paul’s arrest, or even after his execution, and for that reason Mark, who was previously summoned to Rome by Paul (2 Tim. 4), may have remained with Peter. Mark was an early disciple, and may even have been one of the 70, especially if that was him at Gethsemane, but he was certainly never one of the twelve. How can I line this up and research it within Logos Bible Software?

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 2:54 PM

I would start with the Factbook entries for:

• Gospel of Mark
  • John Mark
  • Peter

I would pay special attention to the Church Fathers references.

I would align the data as for/against the various sticking points (I actually would use argument mapping for this).

I would then select what I believed to be the stronger case for each of the sticking points. I might have fun plugging it into Prolog to verify the consistency of my choices.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2910
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 3:40 PM

You can also look up any NT surveys and biblical theologies that you own, and look up the sources they list for Mark's Gospel.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 1177
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 4:10 PM

MJ. Smith:

II would pay special attention to the Church Fathers references.

With 5 sequences to choose from. Probably not disagreeing with your points, but the who-used-who does matter religiously, relative to the end-time clocks ( and their relevance 2,000 years later).

Posts 35581
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 4:29 PM

DMB:
relative to the end-time clocks

It has been so long since I cared about end-time clocks I keep forgetting them ... I'm sufficiently ready for end-times to not need to knew when they'll occur.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS