Duplicate resource

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2910
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 2 2022 4:16 PM

This one:

Nelson’s Illustrated Guide to Religions: A Comprehensive Introduction to the Religions of the World | Logos Bible Software

is an abridged version of that one:

Religions A to Z | Logos Bible Software

I personally don't mind since I got both of them at a steep discount when they were on sale.

However, duplicate content is generally slightly annoying, and offering the abridged resource for a much higher price than the full resource is not quite customer-friendly (although I assume this isn't done on purpose...)

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Seminary Student (VIU).
Christian Debate Forum --- Auferstanden! Blog

Posts 8939
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 5:00 PM

Nelson’s is $31 Religions A-Z is only $9.99 why is the abridged more expensive? Maybe different publishers?

DAL

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 5:11 PM

Nelson's is listed as 644 pages, and A-Z is 276.

Multiple other major book selling websites seem to have Nelson's at twice the price of A-Z.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 2910
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 5:30 PM

A-Z has a lot more entries. It does lack the images though. The content of the articles that are in both is identical.

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 12:05 AM

Andrew Batishko:

Nelson's is listed as 644 pages, and A-Z is 276.

Multiple other major book selling websites seem to have Nelson's at twice the price of A-Z.

I think there is an issue not with the Religions A - Z, but with the Nelson book. It is priced and shown as if it was the full version, but it seems the content that Faithlife delivers is just a small excerpt (of less than 20 groups whereas the book intro says it covers over 200 - and the version on Amazon seems to include academic discussion about methodology and such regarding doing a study of different religions).  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2910
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:21 AM

NB.Mick:
I think there is an issue not with the Religions A - Z, but with the Nelson book. It is priced and shown as if it was the full version, but it seems the content that Faithlife delivers is just a small excerpt (of less than 20 groups whereas the book intro says it covers over 200 - and the version on Amazon seems to include academic discussion about methodology and such regarding doing a study of different religions). 

I agree. There might be missing pages. The article on New Age for example should include more than 100 pages, judging from the page numbers in Logos.

(In A-Z, there's a different article on the topic, which is only 4 pages long. So the two resources are indeed different, albeit with a significant overlap of content.)

Posts 1770
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:20 PM

In addition to the images, the articles in Nelson's are significantly longer. For example Chapter 11, "The New Age" begins on page 391 and ends on 497.

The article on "Baha'i" is also significantly longer. While the first four paragraphs are the same it has an additional 7 pages of content.

Posts 3033
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:41 PM

NB.Mick:
it seems the content that Faithlife delivers is just a small excerpt (of less than 20 groups whereas the book intro says it covers over 200 - and the version on Amazon seems to include academic discussion about methodology and such regarding doing a study of different religions).  

I think that the book description is counting sub-groups of religions as part of the 200.

From my spot check, I didn't see content on Amazon that was not in Logos' book. Do you have a specific example? (Pasting as little as a sentence would be enough to do a search in the Logos book for a match...)

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 12492
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 2:57 PM

Andrew Batishko:

NB.Mick:
it seems the content that Faithlife delivers is just a small excerpt (of less than 20 groups whereas the book intro says it covers over 200 - and the version on Amazon seems to include academic discussion about methodology and such regarding doing a study of different religions).  

I think that the book description is counting sub-groups of religions as part of the 200.

I think you are right - I now found the ToC in the Amazon look-into and it has the same chapters as the screenshot Jan shared. Especially if there are really hundreds of pages, it does seem to be the real book.  

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS