So Many Books

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 161
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 2 2022 6:47 PM

I have 5000+ books in my library. When I look through the monthly sales each month I discover that I have some very good books that I have forgotten and never use. After I have invested so much $ in Logos this causes me some concern. If you have been around Logos for any length of time I am sure you have experienced the same thing, I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study?

Posts 965
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 7:24 PM

I have thought the same thing, but in my case I have just under 12,000 resources. I can't provide any tips to answer your question, but I am grateful that you raised the question. Maybe you can find some peace knowing that you are not alone in feeling the way you do.

Just yesterday I bought under $20 of resources (mostly from the free book of the month promotion in which you can "get another resource for $1.99" and so on). I'd like to think I will crack the resources I bought. Of course, I justified the purchase because the resources were marked down. What's $20, right? Well, it's $20 that I will never have again to spend.

Posts 745
Christian Alexander | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 7:28 PM

Ted, Thank you for your wonderful post. I agree wholeheartedly as a user for a good while and I have a large library. It is over 4500+ resources. I am grateful for all of what Logos and Faithlife has done to give us a good library. I am a better Christian, a better teacher, and a better writer because of Logos Bible Software. 

Posts 296
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 7:45 PM

Ted Harms:

I have 5000+ books in my library. When I look through the monthly sales each month I discover that I have some very good books that I have forgotten and never use. After I have invested so much $ in Logos this causes me some concern. If you have been around Logos for any length of time I am sure you have experienced the same thing, I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study?

Hi, Ted:  As I read, I look at each superscript.  I highlight the superscript # if I own the book.  I look the title up in my Library to be sure.

Posts 1376
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:17 PM

Ted Harms:
I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study?

A few things:

1. After Logos made the enhancements to the taskbar, I made a folder labeled "To Read." I put shortcuts to FBotM, new acquisitions from base library upgrades, etc. that I've purchased that I want to read at some point. That keeps them in a highly visible place I check frequently.
  2. I also occasionally review my purchase history at logos.com to see if there is anything I've purchased and forgotten about.
  3. Finally, before I buy a new library package, I make a PDF of the webpage showing only the books in the package that are new to me so that in the future I can review what titles I got from it.

Other than that, I don't track them. I am pleasantly surprised when new dictionaries or other reference works pop up in Factbook. I also just about always get the free/deeply discounted commentary volumes that are offered along with the FBotM like this month's. They greatly enhance my passage studies. At this point, my library has grown enough that very frequently when I hover over a reference link in a work I'm reading, a preview of it will pop up because I already have it in my library. Having a library big enough to provide that synergy is worth it even if it means I can't remember what all is in it.

Posts 35578
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:31 PM

Ted Harms:
If you have been around Logos for any length of time I am sure you have experienced the same thing, I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study?

No, but you now see why some of us keep begging Faithlife to exposes more of the library metadata so we can search resources that are not searched by the guides e.g. type:sermon without sermon labels (this one we can do) or church fathers not in the automatic church father collection , , ,

Add corpus facet to library | Faithlife

[request] Bradley: Please expose the 'traits' column in collections - Faithlife Forums (logos.com)

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 636
Roy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 8:45 PM

Morris Proctor has a Webinar archived on his training site titles "Out of sight, out of mind" that deals with this subject and how to take advantage of them. I have watched it and it isn't too bad.

Here is the description for the webinar from his site.

===========

About This Course

Duration 50min

We see Logos commentaries, lexicons, and dictionaries all the time; therefore, we use them all the time. Other resources, like life of Christ and Paul books, are not as upfront; therefore, we tend to underuse them.

To help with this challenge, join Morris for the Out of Sight. Out of Mind. webinar in which he’ll show you how to discover and use meaty, albeit, almost hidden resources in your library.

With the features he demonstrates, you’ll be equipped to employ almost any book you own.

============

In the course he deals a lot with how to utilize non-versified resources.

If you have a subscription to his training you can access it already as part of that subscription.

You can also subscribe for a single month. 

Disclaimer: I'm not part of Mr. Proctor's business, nor do I receive any benefit from mentioning his business, I just like his training.

Posts 161
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 9:31 PM

scooter:
Hi, Ted:  As I read, I look at each superscript.  I highlight the superscript # if I own the book.  I look the title up in my Library to be sure.

This sounds interesting scooter. Could you explain a little more? Maybe a screen shot.

Posts 709
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 2 2022 10:22 PM

One of the things I am most worried about is that I will buy a different edition of a book/series that I already have, that isn't different enough to warrant owning both editions.

Posts 296
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 3:04 AM

Ted Harms:

scooter:

This sounds interesting scooter. Could you explain a little more? Maybe a screen shot.

Sadly, Ted, I do not know how to do screen shots.  However,...

I read + highlight.  I also check out every hot read blue superscript.

As I read the superscript, I wonder to myself if I own the book the author mentioned.

I go to my library + look the book up.

Say that I own the book.

I highlight the superscript.  One could use Solid Colors yellow to highlight that superscript.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I, back in the day, designated too dark a color to do this highlighting.

I highlighedt the ss# with dark purple; this left me unable to see said ss#.

Solution: I highlight the period to the left of this # to capture it, using this purple.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I highlight a book + reread down the road.

I reread all the highlighted superscripts.  ''Oh yeah.  Now's the time to read those 6 pages mentioned.''

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 5:14 AM

scooter:
As I read, I look at each superscript.  I highlight the superscript # if I own the book.

Hmmm.  What if there was some sort of visual filter to automatically accomplish this?

Posts 296
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 5:22 AM

GaoLu:

scooter:
As I read, I look at each superscript.  I highlight the superscript # if I own the book.

Hmmm.  What if there was some sort of visual filter to automatically accomplish this?

I use Logos at a very primitive level, so if it is me you are asking the question of, I bow to the superior knowledge and ability of those who are much ahead of me.

Posts 9797
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 6:07 AM

Ted Harms:
I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study

You ask a great question Ted. I too have many more books in Logos than I have ever purchased in print. I used to think that my print library of over 2,000 books was huge but now in Logos I have over 10x that amount. I am very aware that we are accountable to use all of our resources in life for the glory of God and that includes Logos resources.

The way that I approach this is as follows:

1. I view the majority of my books really as a reference system for finding information and never plan to actually read them. e.g. encyclopedias, lexicons etc.
  2. I've carefully tagged all of my books so that I can easily find them according to my tags - This is the system that I use which I've often shared with this community and I'm constantly adding to it. - 6518.My Tagging System for Logos.docx Yes it takes a long time to tag but the very process of going through a book to tag is helps me to familiarize myself with it which has huge value in my opinion.
  3. I've tagged every book that I want to read with BooksToRead-(Category) which allows me to quickly survey books from a category that I would someday like to read. For those books that I'm currently reading I use the tag BooksReading which allows me to quickly sort that way.
  4. I also realized that life is short and there are many books in my library that I will probably never read or even use. I also remind myself that many of these books that I will never read or use came as a result purchasing new Logos packages at highly discounted prices which often include books like these.

Most of my books in print have now been given away other than ones that I've not yet replaced in Logos or I've kept for other sentimental reasons. Compared to my original print library Logos is much more effective. Although I had categorized the print library carefully I could often not find what I was looking for and I often didn't own anything on a specific topic. Logos has changed all of that and I can usually find what I'm looking for quite quickly.

My system is not perfect but it is the best I have come up with so far but I will continue to monitor this thread to see if I can pick up something new.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 927
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 10:14 AM

Ted Harms:
I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study?

Thanks Ted for your post. You already have some great suggestion. You also might want to consider using shortcut folders or favorites for this. My preference is favorites. You can set up a folder in favorites and title it Forgotten Books or perhaps Hidden Treasures or something like that. Then within that folder you can set up sub folders for different books of the Bible or for different topics such as "Life of Christ." When you are searching your library or otherwise come across a treasure that is in your library place a link to it in your favorites folders. You can later review your favorites and quickly see the books that you have identified as important works.

Posts 2526
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 10:35 AM

I prefer tagging books that I want to read.  That helps me rediscover them faster. 

I also tag books my wife is likely to read. She loves me for that.

My current list of absolutely-must-read-next books has grown to 268 volumes, so shortcuts would not work best for me.

Posts 125
Darrell Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 10:45 PM

Good question. For commentaries, the passage guide brings up a list of relevant titles. My primitive way to search for other topics is to search a keyword in the library. Am learning from the replies of other more seasoned users.

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 3 2022 11:07 PM

I rely on Logos to find me the most relevant information when I run a search. While I do read a few books cover to cover, most of my reading is based on the results that the Passage Guide, searches, Factbook,... display.

Posts 1010
xnman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:10 AM

I appreciate the thoughts of everyone in this thread. I have found long ago, that one can have tooooo many books.... and for me anyway, how do I remember where that pertinent piece of information was in all them books on the shelf  when I need it.

A preacher friend of mine actually came up with the idea of building a database and cateforizing information as he studied and read. I followed his idea and started years ago, buidling a database of information as I studied, or read my books on the shelf.  It slowed me down...but in the long run it was worth it ... as I found I did use and re-use information from my books. Sad to say, as I have moved from one bible program to another ... my books on the shelf and my database of them just didn't keep up.  I gave some of my shelf books away, to such as now I have very few actual books on the shelf. And my database is now not useable.

In Logos... I have played around with the guides, collections and Factbook and such... to me... I find the info from them... lacking many times. Seems I am not set up right with my collections or something...

I agree upfront.. it's me... but seems like I spend an inordinate amount of time going through guides, search and Factbook and Explorer, etc... just to find that quote or info that I'm looking for at the moment.

Because of all that... I am now... building a database of my Logos library with Personal Books. It's time consuming... but in the long run, I think it's worth it.  I just have not come up with a way... to categorize the information in a single personal book yet. I started with 3 pb's.... One for "People and Happenings",  one for "Cross-References" one for "Verse Data". 

I have not found a way to incorporate the 3 into 1.... and I don't think what I am doing is the better way... it is an experiment of learning to find a better way.

And that's why I am thankful for the thoughts in this thread.

xn = Christan  man=man -- Acts 11:26 "....and the disciples were first called Christians in Antioch".

Posts 1169
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:49 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Ted Harms:
I was wondering if you have developed some ways to get those forgotten books into the forefront in my study

The way that I approach this is as follows:

1. I view the majority of my books really as a reference system for finding information and never plan to actually read them. e.g. encyclopedias, lexicons etc.
  2. I've carefully tagged all of my books so that I can easily find them according to my tags - This is the system that I use which I've often shared with this community and I'm constantly adding to it. - 6518.My Tagging System for Logos.docx Yes it takes a long time to tag but the very process of going through a book to tag is helps me to familiarize myself with it which has huge value in my opinion.
  3. I've tagged every book that I want to read with BooksToRead-(Category) which allows me to quickly survey books from a category that I would someday like to read. For those books that I'm currently reading I use the tag BooksReading which allows me to quickly sort that way.
  4. I also realized that life is short and there are many books in my library that I will probably never read or even use. I also remind myself that many of these books that I will never read or use came as a result purchasing new Logos packages at highly discounted prices which often include books like these.

My system is not perfect but it is the best I have come up with so far but I will continue to monitor this thread to see if I can pick up something new.

Yep. That's me.  Setting up a tagging system early-on does wonders later.  Then when I want to dig down, it's simply a matter of selecting the tag ... typically 5-10 books presented.  I do have a tag called 'ReadLater' ... it's maybe 10 years old now.  

Posts 56
Roger Pitot | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 4 2022 5:50 AM

Thanks Ted. Tip number 3 about the pdf is great and I will use it in future. Now why didn't you tell us about it years agoWink

Page 1 of 4 (66 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS