So Many Books

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 204
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 3:09 PM

Ted Harms:

Andrew Batishko:
You have to wait for the list of suggestions to pop up instead of just hitting enter. Your suggestions are likely in a different order than Justin's.

Thanks Andrew and MJ. So interesting to see the results. I just didn't wait long enough for the suggestions to appear. Thanks to you who are so knowledgeable.

Sorry I was not clearer before. My desktop is pretty fast, I did not have to wait at all. On my laptop, I just tried it, and would have been confused too! For me, picking a collection that might have some interesting chapters or articles is more useful than a pure FSD on my whole library. As I mentioned before, I made a collection with the rule tag:BibleDictionary and called it dictionaries. FSD in Dictionaries is a delightful way to learn something I never knew I didn't know.

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 5 2022 7:54 PM

I finished and submitted my paper today. I have some time now to use the next topic to practice using Logos, without needing the search results NOW.

I tend to get a little frantic when a paper is due, or worse yet, overdue. I start clicking and buying and clicking some more. The emails says sale. Buy some more. Click some more.

I have more time than money for January. I plan to use what I have. The luxury of a little time.

I don't plan to return anything. I did that once before and don't want to do that again. Peeling back dynamic pricing is messy, and I only want to try that again as a very last resort. And things can only be returned twice, and I don't know if there is overlap from the last return. I think I need to just sit tight. Return nothing. Buy nothing. Except maybe the two pre-pubs that are pending, if they ship. Machen's first edition Greek textbook and the NET 2 Bible. I thought about canceling my order, but decided to sit tight with this, too, and let happen what happens.

Posts 167
Ted Harms | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2022 12:04 PM

I am the who asked the original question. I want to thank everyone who gave such good comments. I have learned so much. I thanks God for each one of you and your great desire to get the know our Great God through His Word by using such a great tool as Logos software. 

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 6 2022 3:13 PM

I am stripping my desktop down and starting from scratch. The past few months have been a lot of windows updates as well as Logos upgrades.

Posts 463
John Connell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 9:22 AM

Thanks Justin for the idea of running FSD on a dictionary collection! So cool!

-john

And he will turn the hearts of fathers to their children and the hearts of children to their fathers (Mal 4:6a)

Posts 3052
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 9:47 AM

Other collections I like to run FSD on:

• Journals
  • A collection with just my preferred BIble

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 720
Kathleen Marie | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 10:36 AM

Reinstalling Windows 10 and a fresh copy of Logos drastically increased my search speeds! Note that I did also switch from Verbum to Logos and that could possibly be a factor, but I don't think so.This drastically reduced my search times. The software is so much snappier!

But my search results are even worse than they were. I thought with the upgrade to Bronze that maybe Logos might work as well as Verbum for me, now. It doesn't. Verbum still grabs my library better than logos. But at least the software is working faster. And I do need to learn to search and tag and all my stuff, so using logos will force me to do that.

I still have Verbum on the laptop and I am not touching that for now, even though it is so slow. Both machine slowed down at the same time, when they both got the same Verbum updates and upgrades and Windows updates at the same time.

For reference my desktop is little more than a toy. It has an SSD, but it is a plastic mini PC with 8GB RAM that isn't much bigger than a deck of cards.

Thank you to everyone that posted. Now I will start reading the thread over and get busy organizing almost three thousand books.

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 2:46 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Other collections I like to run FSD on:

• Journals
  • A collection with just my preferred BIble

Andrew how do we run an FSD on Journals?

Posts 3052
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 3:33 PM

Michael Kinch:

Create a new collection using the search: type:journal

Posts 1540
Kiyah | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 4:41 PM

John C Connell Jr.:

Thanks Justin for the idea of running FSD on a dictionary collection! So cool!

-john

This also gave me the idea to run an FSD on my Fortress Press collection and add the shortcut to my toolbar. You could create a collection of books by your favorite publisher and put a shortcut on your toolbar that runs FSD on that collection with one click.

Posts 1058
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 5:19 PM

Yeah, and I love reading random things (via FSD) in my collections of essays and festschrifts, things that can comfortably be consumed in a single setting. I make shortcuts and I need more room, but it's a fun distraction.

Posts 1645
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 7:06 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Michael Kinch:

Create a new collection using the search: type:journal

Hi Andrew,

1) How do we run an FSD on any collection? What's the syntax in the GO box?

2) At one point a couple years ago I think we were advised that having too many collections (or was that visual filters?) would slow down Logos, specifically slowing down the opening and displaying of Bible texts. Is that true anymore? (Was that ever true? I've deleted some of my unneeded collections and visual filters for fear of slowing down Logos.)

Thanks,

PL

Posts 1058
Lew Worthington | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 8:15 PM

I can answer the first one, PL. I have a collection called "Ancient Texts". When I type the following

FSD in Anc

(even truncating the whole name of the collection), I can wait and see the suggestion "Facilitate Serendipitous Discovery in Ancient Texts" pop up. Then I can just click on the suggested command. It'll do that with any collection.

Posts 19599
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 7 2022 9:14 PM

PL:
2) At one point a couple years ago I think we were advised that having too many collections (or was that visual filters?) would slow down Logos, specifically slowing down the opening and displaying of Bible texts. Is that true anymore? (Was that ever true?

Too many visual filters does slow down the opening and displaying of Bible texts (and other resources). Opening a resource causes the searches for all visual filter(s) to be executed so the three dot menu (visual filters) shows visual filter(s) that have results in that resource.

Periodically collection cache is refreshed: diagnostic logging shows collection rule search that takes longer than 250 ms. Personally converted some long dynamic rule collections to MyTag to reduce collection cache refresh timing. Caveat is new purchases now need tagging to become part of collection.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1645
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 5:12 AM

Thank you Lew and KS4J!

Posts 3052
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 8:18 AM

PL:
At one point a couple years ago I think we were advised that having too many collections (or was that visual filters?) would slow down Logos, specifically slowing down the opening and displaying of Bible texts. Is that true anymore? (Was that ever true?

When the application starts up, it will generate and store in memory the exact list of resources for each collection. This is done so that collections are quicker to use when needed. Any time changes are made to your library (downloading new metadata or adding or removing resources) every collection is reevaluated. Every time a collection is edited it is reevaluated.

This work is done in the background so that it is not generally noticeable. That said, many (most?) collections are a library search, and some searches can take a long time to run. If you have a large number of collections, and particularly if those are expensive searches to run, then the application will be kept busy running these searches in the background whenever the collections are evaluated.

This can slow down other things that are happening at the time. For most people this is not a problem, but for some users this may results in slower performance at specific times when the collections are being evaluated.

I wouldn't stress a lot about it, but it's also reasonable to delete collections you no longer need.

If desired, you can turn on logging and check in there to find instances of specific collections that are expensive to evaluate.

Posts 1645
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 11:43 AM

Thanks Andrew. That's very helpful and informative.

PL

Posts 2962
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 4:40 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Every time a collection is edited it is reevaluated.

[[Or if it is a dynamic collection it may be reevaluated more often]] 

There is a workaround: Most of the collections this applies to are Dynamic ones.  So, save the rules string to a rules document file. Then tag every member of the collection with a special My Tag. Save the My Tag in the rules document file. And maybe some information on the reason you made that collection.  Then delete that dynamic collection. Then when you need that collection use My Tag instead. [Hopefully only evaluated as needed]

Every once in a while rebuild the collection to see if there are new members.  [[The rule is in your "rules document file"]] My Tag them and delete the rebuilt collection. 

[[Need help here - what have I over looked with this workaround?]]  [This is what I remember some one posting a long time back]

Posts 2962
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 4:43 PM

O, by the way, one can tell that they have too many books when all of the Free Book of the Month are already owned!

Posts 932
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 8:11 PM

David Ames:

O, by the way, one can tell that they have too many books when all of the Free Book of the Month are already owned!

Really? Too many books - too many for what? I didn't think it was possible to have too many books Wink

Page 3 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS