So Many Books

Page 4 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 65 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 19577
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 8 2022 9:50 PM

David Ames:

O, by the way, one can tell that they have too many books when all of the Free Book of the Month are already owned!

That happens to me regularly. I think to myself: "Why did I have to be so impulsive? If I'd waited, I could have had it for free." Oh well...

Posts 3031
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 7:03 AM

David Ames:
Every once in a while rebuild the collection to see if there are new members.

Just rerun the search in the library panel, select all the resources that are returned (ctrl+a) then apply the tag to all the selected resources.

The reason the tag approach has been suggested is because this can have the effect of turning a complex library search into a simple one having just a single term.

Simple collections that just search for a single tag most likely have a minimal impact on performance.

Andrew Batishko | Faithlife software developer

Posts 27854
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 4:43 PM

Andrew Batishko:
Simple collections that just search for a single tag most likely have a minimal impact on performance.

The rules that really hit hard are those for different categories of bible commentaries, usually shared collections where there are many author:, title:, series: terms from a Library that is much larger than your own!

I run the rule in the Library panel, where you can apply a single tag to the resources, and maintain it by adding the tag to purchased resources. If the tags are well named you don't even need a collection!

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 35558
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 5:01 PM

Andrew Batishko:

Simple collections like this I always build the collection on the fly. My formal collections are primarily complex rules or primarily manually selected resources.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1270
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 5:04 PM

Dave Hooton:

I run the rule in the Library panel, where you can apply a single tag to the resources, and maintain it by adding the tag to purchased resources. If the tags are well named you don't even need a collection!

That's what I did a while back. However, I didn't notice any speed difference.

Posts 2961
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 9 2022 5:48 PM

Armin:
  That's what I did a while back. However, I didn't notice any speed difference.  

Speed differences may depend on how many dynamic collections one has and maybe their size. And there was some talk on effect on start up time. [Only repeating what others have said as I have zero dynamic collections] 

Page 4 of 4 (66 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS